Good Time to buy MBP?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

There won't be any changes.

Go get one today and make yourself happy.

The new Leopard won't be able to run on the current MBP right? Since its 64-bit? Sorry, I'm a Window fanboy, so this will be my first apple and want to be sure I buy the right product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I wish I could have the same feeling again as when I bought my new MBP last September...

What the hell is going on with vBulletin? It's rearranging the g'damn posts.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I've been waiting a few months for a MBP update. Finally it comes, but not much has changed. Will there be a new update/price drop relatively soon? If there won't be any changes in the 6 months, I should pick up the new mbp.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    There won't be any changes.

Go get one today and make yourself happy.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    64-bit isn't an issue. Any Mac you buy today will run Leopard just fine.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Good Time to buy MBP?

It could hardly be better than now. The MBP is less than one week old. Next update no sooner than end of the year or even beginning of the next one. As for 64-bit, see what the others said.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Yeah, I had a PowerBook G4 just last week and I was waiting originally for Apple to release new MBP's and Leopard. Then they pushed back Leopard but updated the MBPs. I highly doubt they are going to release new MBPs before Leopard. I have had my new MBP since Sunday and I have to say the 15" LCD screen is THE brightest laptop screen I've ever used and the display is beautiful. I would recommend this machine to anyone. Buy it NOW!. Oh yeah, free iPod if you are a student/bring a student with you. Oddly, I have had macs forever but this is the first iPod I've ever owned and wow, I am ashamed I never had one before.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Basically, as others have said, BUY NOW!!! All macs you will buy these days run 64-bit. And even if they were 32-bit, Leopard would still run on it. That's the beauty of Apple, able to run both natively

Anywho, because of their recent upgrade, there won't be another for some time, January at the very earliest. Buy now, and enjoy!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I couldn't contain my excitement. I bought my mbp 2 days ago!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    hyde9hyde9 Posts: 2member
    I'm new to macs and I am considering a mac book pro when I go to school NEXT year

My current shitty dell is slowly dying but, somewhat useable.

I have enough $$ now for the low end MBP but I am worried if I purchase now it will be hopelessly outdated when I head off to school?

All this talk about solid state drives, quad core, high resolution screens and ultraportables makes me think I should hold off one more year. Any Advice?

Thanks, Sorry for the long post.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw View Post

I've been waiting a few months for a MBP update. Finally it comes, but not much has changed. Will there be a new update/price drop relatively soon? If there won't be any changes in the 6 months, I should pick up the new mbp.

I'm sick of people saying that "the MBP update is like the recent MB update" or "not much has changed". First and foremost: LED. Then there's SR, more RAM, new HD options, new motherboards, new GPUs, and probably more I'm forgetting about. This is an excellent update, and I would say this is the perfect time to buy. (I'm getting mine on Friday.)
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I'm sick of people saying that "the MBP update is like the recent MB update" or "not much has changed". First and foremost: LED. Then there's SR, more RAM, new HD options, new motherboards, new GPUs, and probably more I'm forgetting about. This is an excellent update, and I would say this is the perfect time to buy. (I'm getting mine on Friday.)

While the MBP update is nowhere near the mediocre MB update, the inclusion of LED displays is for the time being questionable. There are already complaints of a very noticeable colour shift to the yellow. Others say all is OK. So, I don't know what is going on here, time will tell.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

There are already complaints of a very noticeable colour shift to the yellow. Others say all is OK

...couldn't this be calibrated in the Displays section of the System Preferences?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

...couldn't this be calibrated in the Displays section of the System Preferences?

The person that gave the details even tried the Monaco sensor to calibrate the display, to no avail. It remains yellowish. Link (in French).
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

The person that gave the details even tried the Monaco sensor to calibrate the display, to no avail. It remains yellowish. Link (in French).

That's funny... the displays on the new MBPs in the Apple Store looked perfectly fine... Maybe it's something that wears off after so many hours of use? *shrugs*
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

While the MBP update is nowhere near the mediocre MB update, the inclusion of LED displays is for the time being questionable. There are already complaints of a very noticeable colour shift to the yellow. Others say all is OK. So, I don't know what is going on here, time will tell.

Isn't that what AppleCare/Warranty is for?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hyde9 View Post

...I am worried if I purchase now it will be hopelessly outdated when I head off to school?

All this talk about solid state drives, quad core, high resolution screens and ultraportables makes me think I should hold off one more year. Any Advice?

Thanks, Sorry for the long post.

Honestly being afraid of hardware updates is going to happen with any machine you buy especially with laptops. Theres not to many models out there that I would consider easily upgradable like a tower. To many screws and dont touch this and that, dont break this seal or the warranty is void ect. All I can say is if your in the need or want of a new laptop then grab one now. The wonderful thing about a mac is youll have it for a while. Id like a quad core, flash drive, better resolution screen ect. I personally dont recommend using a Laptop for hard core gaming and editing (battery life being the biggest issue in gaming for me and if the thing is plugged in all the time why not just have a tower in the first place...) although boys will be boys and buy those power eating alienwares that get .5 hours of battery life with SLI graphics wohoo!

All in all for what youll probably do with the thing go for it or even a macbook if you dont need the extra graphics. If I kept waiting for what was around the corner in todays technology market id never really buy anything because something better is always right around the way.

Ive made my purchase and Im just waiting for the damn shipment to get here since the 7200 hd's are on such a "high demand" according to Mark the apple phone guy that I bought my machine from.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Isn't that what AppleCare/Warranty is for?

I am afraid no. I mean yes, they will probably take it in to examine it, but the fact there are contradicting reports could mean that Apple has two manufacturers of LED displays with no consistent quality. If it is so, then Apple will say the yellow cast is normal and you are royally screwed.

So, everyone who really cares about color precision (if there is such a thing on a portable display), should be careful here.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

That's funny... the displays on the new MBPs in the Apple Store looked perfectly fine... Maybe it's something that wears off after so many hours of use? *shrugs*

No idea. If you read the article which I linked to, you will see that the Macbidouille team tried the same photo on their new LED-based MBP. They say that the result was perfect, on par with the one can see on an Apple Cinema Display. It is really strange.

As I said in my previous post, either there are defective units or there are two manufacturers providing Apple with displays of different quality. We cannot know until there are many new MBP out there.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Right after a speedbump is always the best time to buy -- if you need a computer and it meets your requirements. The MBP will not be updated again before the release of Leopard.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EasyC View Post

Ive made my purchase and Im just waiting for the damn shipment to get here since the 7200 hd's are on such a "high demand" according to Mark the apple phone guy that I bought my machine from.

You too?

What it looks to me, rather, is as if they don't have the 7200 hd's in stock yet... I'm thinking it was a last minute decision on Apple's part to include that option now.