Combined iPhone service and data plans to start at $60 per month

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T Inc. and Apple said Tuesday they will offer three simple, affordable service plans for iPhone which start at just $59.99 per month.

All three plans include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, roll-over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling. With everything else already included, iPhone customers can easily choose the plan that's right for them based on the amount of voice minutes they plan to use each month. In addition, iPhone customers can choose from any of AT&T's standard service plans.

"AT&T has the largest voice and data network in America, the largest mobile-to-mobile calling community and the fewest dropped calls," said Randall Stephenson, chairman and CEO, AT&T. "AT&T has invested more than 16 billion dollars in its wireless network between 2005 and 2007, and iPhone customers will enjoy the best voice and data network in the nation."

All iPhone monthly service plans are available for individuals and families and are based on a new two-year service agreement with AT&T. Individual plans are priced at $59.99 for 450 minutes, $79.99 for 900 minutes and $99.99 for 1,350 minutes. All plans include unlimited data (email and web), Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, roll over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile and a one-time activation fee of $36. Family plans are also available.

Visual Voicemail, an industry first, allows consumers to see a listing of their voicemails, decide which messages to listen to, then go directly to those messages without listening to previous messages. Just like email, Visual Voicemail on iPhone enables users to immediately and randomly access the messages that interest them most.

Also Tuesday, Apple and AT&T announced that iPhone purchasers will be able to activate their new phones from the privacy of their own home.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 126
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    ... privacy of their own home.

Anyway, I did this once years ago with my Sprint phone. Talk about a nightmare. I'd rather spend the time in the store as I know the phone will be online before I leave the store. Still, this should keep the lines moving quickly this Friday.
  • Reply 2 of 126
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Reasonable rates.
  • Reply 3 of 126
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Pretty sweet. I don't think these rates are anything to complain about.
  • Reply 4 of 126
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    nvm .
  • Reply 5 of 126
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    I don't think these plans are anything to complain about. They seem very reasonable, and not giving people the option of limited data (so that they can later complain about how the iPhone uses it up quickly) is smart.
  • Reply 6 of 126
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    - Individual Plans Available

- Family Plans Available

- Available on NEW plans

- Available on EXISTING plans

- Requires a new two-year service agreement (or extend existing)

Individual Plan Prices

$59.99 - 450 Anytime, Roll-over, 200 SMS, M2M, Unlimited Data

$79.99 - 900 Anytime, Roll-over, 200 SMS, M2M, Unlimited Data

$99.99 - 1350 Anytime, Roll-over, 200 SMS, M2M, Unlimited Data

Seems like a great deal to me... I didn't yet see if it included Free Nights and Weekends but I'd THINK they would... Then again... you never can't tell...

Anyone know!?

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 126
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I could see how some people would want more than 200 text messages, though.
  • Reply 8 of 126
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Keep in mind that 'unlimited data' means you can use it for any period of time. But it doesn't mean you can use as much as you want. You are limited in terms of how much you can actually use before they start limiting your speed/access.

Huh?!?! I'm gonna have to see a reference on this one...

Dave

- Wow... AI's server clock is going wonky... I replied to a post BEFORE it was even posted... :weird:
  • Reply 9 of 126
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    200 text messages i can deal with, it as the push mail... but can I keep my unlimted att calling plan.. I can call any att customer for free.. wired or wireless..

Or can I get the earler night and weekend for 8.99
  • Reply 10 of 126
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

I don't think these plans are anything to complain about. They seem very reasonable, and not giving people the option of limited data (so that they can later complain about how the iPhone uses it up quickly) is smart.

Keep in mind that 'unlimited data' means you can use it for any period of time. But it doesn't mean you can use as much as you want. You are limited in terms of how much you can actually use before they start limiting your speed/access.
  • Reply 11 of 126
    Not too bad. The 200 SMS isn't that good but unlimited data is great. I'm paying 75 bucks a month for 450 minutes and a data plan for 15.99. This is a pretty good deal. The deal is nothing to cheer about, nor is it nothing to jeer about.
  • Reply 12 of 126
    Where have you seen this. I use to use my smartphone as a modem, when I had unlimited data. It was slow as hell, but it did the job. I never noticed any cap. I find it hard to believe they will limit the speed, because Edge is slow as hell to begin with. I'd like to hear more on this if you have any more information.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

• Reply 13 of 126
    Quote:

All three plans include unlimited data, Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, roll-over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling

I was hoping for something like this. Thank you!!

• Reply 14 of 126
    No mention of nights and weekends?
  • Reply 15 of 126
    danboydanboy Posts: 9member
    sounds pretty good. i'm sure you'l be able to add additional txt messages, not for free of course but if its something you want then go for it i know i probably will. if i dont my bill will cost twice as much just for going over my 200 txts. right now i can do 200 in a two day span however i know that this isnt everyone. overall i think the plans are not too bad.
  • Reply 16 of 126
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T Inc. and Apple said Tuesday they will offer three simple, affordable service plans for iPhone which start at just $59.99 per month.

Great plans. Apple has done it again.

Activating it at home. Just beautiful. Imagine the simplicity of it all. Go in, buy it, get it and go home. My bet, it is a 10 minute transaction. Unless you are one of the idiots that have frequented these posts with nothing that Apple and AT & T have planned to destroy the world.

Perhaps now we can only hope that these nay sayers shut up.

My revised bet, it is a 5 minute transaction.
  • Reply 17 of 126
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Nights & Weekends has been addressed:

• Reply 19 of 126
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mini.boss View Post

No mention of nights and weekends?

check out the BIG CHARTS, the line that says NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS.

this is sweet, i'm grandfathered into an SNET plan from 1999 for 24 bucks a month [350 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends from 7pm to 9am.] i'll just add the $20 plan to that.

45 bucks a month.
  • Reply 20 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

$59.99 - 450 Anytime, Roll-over, 200 SMS, M2M, Unlimited Data

$79.99 - 900 Anytime, Roll-over, 200 SMS, M2M, Unlimited Data

$99.99 - 1350 Anytime, Roll-over, 200 SMS, M2M, Unlimited Data

This is awesome from my point of view. I would get the $60 one in a heart beat.

Here in Canada, Rogers, the only GSM carrier that is capable of carrying the iPhone, has ridiculous prices for data plans. Actually, at some point here, all wireless carriers seem to have dumped their unlimited plans simultaneously. The only logical plan available to us here, at this point in time, is 100 MB per month for $100, and that is on top of any voice plan you may have. If you were to use the iPhone with them, they'd rob you blind at these rates.

I sure hope Apple can convince them to offer reasonably priced data packages if they were to carry the iPhone.