Apple's iPhone: an initial (but in-depth) review

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

As far as the keyboard, while I would love a landscape version

I would like the option of a landscape keyboard too, across all apps. Seems silly that its only in Safari. \

• Reply 22 of 94
    cirbycirby Posts: 2member
    It's really interesting to take the iPhone out in public and let people get a look at it. Lots of "wows," a whole lot of "it's smaller than I thought." It's a helluva piece of hardware.

The cut/paste issue could be solved pretty easily, with a single button. Hit the button, and your gesture becomes a "select" mode, where you pick the "in," then another for the "out," and a tap on the selected text to get a popup for cut/copy/paste. More complex, but lots more power.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I would like the option of a landscape keyboard too, across all apps. Seems silly that its only in Safari. \

That is an interesting point: So, if I were to log in to my email account via the web, I should be able to input text in landscape mode.... I'll try that and let you know. (However, the only minus with that is it slows down access, since you have to log in, pinch out to increase font size, scroll, flip horizontal etc).
  • Reply 24 of 94
    Yup. It works in landscape mode to input email text if done within the web application. But that is way slower than the built-in push/POP email option, since you are now dependent on your web access speed.

Btw one annoyance in the landscape text input mode: The "backspace/delete" button is right on top of the "Go" button, and it is easy to hit the latter by accident when you are trying to edit text -- it inputs when you are still trying to edit!
  • Reply 25 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theveeb View Post

I think text editing is a critical feature. I'm sure the folks at Apple can come up with a multi-touch solution to this. Here's one I came up thinking about it for a minute or two, no claims that it doesn't have faults, just that I think you could come up with something that worked.

When in text mode with the cursor inserted. Touch the screen with 2 fingers (or some other gesture). A pop-up is displayed with a menu of options: Select, Deselect, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete. Select your option. Last 5 work as expected. If Select is chosen, use a single finger to select the other end of the select region with the original insertion point as the anchor. When you are satisfied with the selection, use a two-finger tap (or other gesture) to bring up the popup again. Choose your option.

I was thinking the same thing, but not quite. Contextual menus are no good, and I doubt Apple wants to dirty their iPhone with them. I'm thinking, use one finger at start point, one finger at end point (complete with magnifying glass for accuracy at both points), then pinch to cut, and 'inverse pinch' to copy. Then, to paste, perhaps an 'inverse pinch' where both fingers start almost the same position, the point of insertion.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

It's UMTS (for Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) not UTMS.

In any case, UMTS itself is kinda dead and obsolete, as AT&T is busy at work deploying HSDPA.

Well, I agree that HSDPA is new, but not better than HSUPA.

EDGE or EVDO are mainly used in the US. And not worldwide compatible. Same with AT&T's 3G is actually CDMA2000.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    rjpottsrjpotts Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Google calendar works in a minibroswer type way. You can quick add events and see event details but the events are listed in a "list view" down the page in calendar. Not the fancy view you are use too.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I look forward to trying this all out myself in the future.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    What a beautifully written review. Covering all the bases and explaining in a way that made most of the above comments redundant.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    This is the best review yet that I have read regarding the iPhone. Great job AppleInsider!
  • Reply 30 of 94
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

There are just so many missing features, a.k.a. room for future improvement of this brand new product segment.

Just a few to mention.

George Tang

George,

As you stated: It is a first-run, and I will add: first-generation. Considering this fact, the iPhone packs a substantial amount of goodies to its early adopters. I would pretty much say that is a win-win situation.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    Very nice and definitely the most/best in-depth review I've seen so far, good job!

Regarding the whole text-selection copy/paste ordeal, the simplest solution IMO that I've also suggested elsewhere is to use one finger to bring up the "loupe" view for cursor placement (same as is done now), then lay down a second finger next to it (without releasing the first and keeping the loupe view) to begin selection. Dead simple, very easy to use, and I can't see that making anything too complex at all.

They could add a copy button as a small button above or below the text (similar to how spelling corrections are shown) which would work just by tapping near the button (no cut option, if you want to cut then just copy and delete, simple enough). To paste go back into the loupe view and a small hint button (once again about the size of the spelling correction hints) right next to the loupe so you can just lay down the second finger after you get your cursor placed to paste it.

I've thought about that quite a bit and it honestly seems like it would work out extremely well, not one handed but for serious editing I'd think you'd be using two anyway. If someone can point out any flaws in this let me know, I'm curious since I can't think of any real ones.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Daniel Eran of Roughly Drafted, welcome to the AI family man.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    I --very--rarely bookmark reviews. This one I did. Plus I posted it to the PriusChat website on a posting where people were staying some really ignorant stuff.

Again. Excellent review.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan Peterson View Post

Very nice and definitely the most/best in-depth review I've seen so far, good job!

Regarding the whole text-selection copy/paste ordeal, the simplest solution IMO that I've also suggested elsewhere is to use one finger to bring up the "loupe" view for cursor placement (same as is done now), then lay down a second finger next to it (without releasing the first and keeping the loupe view) to begin selection. Dead simple, very easy to use, and I can't see that making anything too complex at all.

They could add a copy button as a small button above or below the text (similar to how spelling corrections are shown) which would work just by tapping near the button (no cut option, if you want to cut then just copy and delete, simple enough). To paste go back into the loupe view and a small hint button (once again about the size of the spelling correction hints) right next to the loupe so you can just lay down the second finger after you get your cursor placed to paste it.

I've thought about that quite a bit and it honestly seems like it would work out extremely well, not one handed but for serious editing I'd think you'd be using two anyway. If someone can point out any flaws in this let me know, I'm curious since I can't think of any real ones.

So far yours is the only one that makes sense.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    Excellent review, pretty much my thoughts, although one big criticism I have that I haven't seen mentioned (including this article) is that it does not support 802.11n, I have more of a problem with this than with EDGE. I hope this is something that fixed with a software update, but when I have my iPhone on at home it slows down my whole network.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judgegavel View Post

Excellent review, pretty much my thoughts, although one big criticism I have that I haven't seen mentioned (including this article) is that it does not support 802.11n, I have more of a problem with this than with EDGE. I hope this is something that fixed with a software update, but when I have my iPhone on at home it slows down my whole network.

I don't think the processor is capable of taking advantage of the G support let alone the N. I think we are a year away from N support in the iPhone due to processing power based on my usage with it on a G network.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

So far yours is the only one that makes sense.

Thanks! ... so far I haven't heard any naysayers in any of the few places I mentioned the idea (although I forgot where one of them is :P ). I'm really hoping that Apple implements a system like this. That, a file browser with Leopard's Quick Look feature (hopefully at least eventually supporting 3rd party plugins like it's supposed to in Leopard), and eventually real 3rd party developer access are the 3 things that would put the biggest smile on my face for the iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 94
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan Peterson View Post

Good ideas. As additional shortcuts, maybe pinching for cutting, copying and pasting could be used. Your method of selecting but then negative pinching (moving your fingers together) could be used for cutting and positive pinching for copying and pasting.
  • Reply 39 of 94
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

Well, I agree that HSDPA is new, but not better than HSUPA.

Eh. HSDPA is High Speed Downlink Packet Access, HSUPA is the same for UPLINK. It's different, not better or worse.

Anyway, to the original quotee, HSDPA/HSUPA is an extension of UMTS.

/Adrian
  • Reply 40 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Eh. HSDPA is High Speed Downlink Packet Access, HSUPA is the same for UPLINK. It's different, not better or worse.

Anyway, to the original quotee, HSDPA/HSUPA is an extension of UMTS.

/Adrian

Oops, looks like the "South Korean iPhone customer market uptake expert" got some basic facts wrong......