iPhone video teardown reveals Samsung, Intel, Balda design wins

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

which features a three stacked die package containing the S5L8900 processor and two 512 Mbit SRAM dies.

Can someone please explain how it contains 2 512Mbit SRAM dies, when the highest density SRAM available is 64 Mbit ?
  • Reply 22 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

If they want to make a rule on sigs - fine. There are plenty I would like to see go, like the pro global warming crap some ram down our throats.

I don't even see the signatures, I've turned them off. If you are so worried about someone "shoving" their opinions down your throat, turn off signature display. Most forums are cleaner / better without sigs anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    What baffles me is that the iPhone makes little to no use of System-on-chip ICs. You can bet that the next version will. What this means is that there will be more room for battery.

On that note, I'm glad I don't have a gen 1 iPhone. gen 2 will be a SUBSTANTIAL imrpovement.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    samurai1999samurai1999 Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Can someone please explain how it contains 2 512Mbit SRAM dies, when the highest density SRAM available is 64 Mbit ?

They're SDRAM... not SRAM

- the CPU could be similar to the S3C6400 (http://www.samsung.com/products/semi...00/S3C6400.htm)

- since this is also based on the ARM1176JZF core

- not too shabby

- but I'm not sure how this relates to the S5L8900 on the die shot... the iPhone CPU seems to be a new or unknown media variant

- the closest thing (namewise) being the S5L8700 - which is Arm9 based

It would be interesting to find out if the S5L8900 has a 3D Core to help out with all the cover flow animiations.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

What baffles me is that the iPhone makes little to no use of System-on-chip ICs. You can bet that the next version will. What this means is that there will be more room for battery.

The CPU Chip is as a SOC ic, and it's packaged with 128Mbytes of SDRAM - so it's quite a dense solution.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

The CPU Chip is as a SOC ic, and it's packaged with 128Mbytes of SDRAM - so it's quite a dense solution.

If you want to see a real SoC, look at the TI OMAPs. A stacked package of CPU and DRAM is not an SoC (it's a SiP), and it's hardly impressive. The point is that the gen 2 iPhone will be a substantial improvement. Not only will it probably support 3G, but it will undoubtedly do so with a much smaller board and a correspondingly larger battery.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

If you want to see a real SoC, look at the TI OMAPs. A stacked package of CPU and DRAM is not an SoC (it's a SiP), and it's hardly impressive. The point is that the gen 2 iPhone will be a substantial improvement. Not only will it probably support 3G, but it will undoubtedly do so with a much smaller board and a correspondingly larger battery.

You're right, the TI OMAPs are SoCs - as is the iPhone CPU (S5L8900)

- we don't know the exact specs of the S5L8900, but it seems to be a Arm11 CPU (ARM1176JZF), with a good assortment of peripherals (similar to the S3C6400)

There's some speculation that it includes a PowerVR 3D Graphics core (MBX)

- which will make for some interesting 3D game possibilities

I'm just speculating here, but I'd say the iPhone CPU is somewhere between the OMAP2 generation and the OMAP3 generation - which is pretty good.

Again, just speculating, my feeling is that this chip will be used for core processing for iPods & iPhones for the next couple of years.