My Portfolio

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Interesting noone has commented on the huge run up on AAPL today. Healthy jump in the stock (6 points!).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting noone has commented on the huge run up on AAPL today. Healthy jump in the stock (6 points!).

Yes, a very nice rise indeed. But I was more concerned with my new love, STV, a new IPO on the NYSE this past Friday that topped a 118% gain on its opening day and another 41% increase today.

I've been wanting to get my hands dirty with a Chinese based company.

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=...+holding&hl=en

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=STV
  • Reply 2 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes, a very nice rise indeed. But I was more concerned with my new love, STV, a new IPO on the NYSE this past Friday that topped a 118% gain on its opening day and another 41% increase today.

I've been wanting to get my hands dirty with a Chinese based company.

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=...+holding&hl=en

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=STV

How much did you risk... er, "invest"....

Hmm... I just noticed that Jim Cramer has already weighed in on this one. Be prepared for a quick run-up and a precipitous drop if he's involved.

Quote:

Monday, October 8, 2007

Amazing. STV refuses to rest.

Lightning Round, Mad Money

Caller Roger in California: "I'm a huge believer in China. They're

consuming, consuming, consuming. There's an IPO on Friday, China

Digital TV that's been popping. What do you think?"

Cramer: "I gotta tell you, man, you know, I read through the

prospectus. I have to admit that this is as good as a Baidu. It's as

good as a China Tel. The problem is, is my God! This thing was up - I

mean it was up again today! It was up, uh... (checks the computer)

It's up another 12, 11 points!! But it does feel like VM Ware,

honestly. At 40 bucks, could it add another 20 points? Yeah, it could

add that quite easily. It's got that kind of momentum."

Did you buy because of Cramer's comments or what is your source. Buying China stocks is an extremely risky game.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

How much did you risk... er, "invest"....

Hmm... I just noticed that Jim Cramer has already weighed in on this one. Be prepared for a quick run-up and a precipitous drop if he's involved.

Not enough to regain my 12% lose in CLWR this past Friday.

But I think i will hang onto STV for another morning and see where it goes. it it even begins to drop I'll sell. if it keeps going up I'll hold on to it for a little bit longer, but this excessive rise seems too good to last long. But if check out the company they have less than 350 employees and have earnings of 50%.

Honestly, all I want to do is regain my 12% loses with CLWR. So far I'm halfway there as I was too much of a chicken to invest to much into STV.

Only time will tell. If this doesn't pan out I'm just gonna go back to counting cards at Blackjack. That was a guaranteed grand a night and always a good way to meet attractive girls.

PS: No, Cramer had nothing to do with it ,I have my own source. He bought in when it hit 100% and then sold told today when it went up about 12% making a whooping $840. He's my "conservative" friend.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Hmm... you're a player. I've had almost a consistent $1,500 to $3,000 per day gain on my stocks for months... but I don't sell. Your way will only make your broker rich. You may as well stick with straight gambling.

...and BTW, my CLWR has dropped quite a bit also. I've got a buy order in at 17.5... I think they're a good longer term play, mostly if they become attractive takeover target by at&t or another larger telecom stock.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Hmm... you're a player. I've had almost a consistent $1,500 to $3,000 per day gain on my stocks for months... but I don't sell. Your way will only make your broker rich. You may as well stick with straight gambling.

...and BTW, my CLWR has dropped quite a bit also. I've got a buy order in at 17.5... I think they're a good longer term play, mostly if they become attractive takeover target by at&t or another larger telecom stock.

I have free trades and do my own brokering. I used to use a "real" broker but that was costly and a pain in the ass. I had to get though the receptionist then his assistance just to get to him when I could have made my trade online in less time than it took to get to my broker.

I do okay. Except for CLWR this past Friday I've been averaging solid 20% gains per month... but the month just started. :-)

I'd be delighted to know what stocks you are highly invested in.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

I have free trades and do my own brokering. I used to use a "real" broker but that was costly and a pain in the ass. I had to get though the receptionist then his assistance just to get to him when I could have made my trade online in less time than it took to get to my broker.

I do okay. Except for CLWR this past Friday I've been averaging solid 20% gains per month... but the month just started. :-)

I'd be delighted to know what stocks you are highly invested in.

Believe it or not, my best stocks have been AAPL, AMZN (Amazon), BMO (Bank of Montreal), CMCSA (Comcast), CPO (Corn Products...great run on this one), HPQ (Hewlett-Packard), T (at&t)...

What do you mean you "do your own brokering"? I perform my own trades online with Schwab.com, but there is still a fee. Unless you are a broker, you're paying something.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Off to the Yahoo finance boards with the squak talk you guys.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Believe it or not, my best stocks have been AAPL, AMZN (Amazon), BMO (Bank of Montreal), CMCSA (Comcast), CPO (Corn Products...great run on this one), HPQ (Hewlett-Packard), T (at&t)...

I'll have to check into those tomorrow.

PS: When do you think your buyorder at 17.5 for CLWR will likely occur? I made 3% back on CLWR today knowing that a severe 12% drop based on nothing substantial will lead to a decent increase. I still can't say I'm not pissed at the drop based on Sprint news!

I am at an impasse right now.I'm not sure whether to jump back into CLWR for the long term or invest heavily in AAPL or RIMM (both for the long term) as I know their fiscal quarter/year will be record numbers.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tink View Post

It's better here. Yahoo is full of yahoos.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tink View Post

Sorry, tink. WIll move to private.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

I'll have to check into those tomorrow.

PS: When do you think your buyorder at 17.5 for CLWR will likely occur? I made 3% back on CLWR today knowing that a severe 12% drop based on nothing substantial will lead to a decent increase. I still can't say I'm not pissed at the drop based on Sprint news!

I am at an impasse right now.I'm not sure whether to jump back into CLWR for the long term or invest heavily in AAPL or RIMM (both for the long term) as I know their fiscal quarter/year will be record numbers.

I'm hoping for CLWR to drop within a month, and I think McCaw is attempting to grow it slow (either that or he has totally miscalculated the direction of telecommunications)... they'll eventually be a takeover target... Don't make buy/sell decisions based on what I say, though. Do your own research. Apple by far has been my best investment... before that it was AOL until their deal with Time-Warner, and what a disaster that was.

I'm a buy and hold kinda guy. I have way too much invested to risk everything on one or two companies, but conversely, most mutual funds aren't risky enough for my taste... I do own a number of Vanguard funds, though.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Sorry, tink. WIll move to private.

Heck with that. The boards are open for everyone to comment. I don't PM, only with the Admins here.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

I'm hoping for CLWR to drop within a month, and I think McCaw is attempting to grow it slow (either that or he has totally miscalculated the direction of telecommunications)... they'll eventually be a takeover target... Don't make buy/sell decisions based on what I say, though. Do your own research. Apple by far has been my best investment... before that it was AOL until their deal with Time-Warner, and what a disaster that was.

I'm a buy and hold kinda guy. I have way too much invested to risk everything on one or two companies, but conversely, most mutual funds aren't risky enough for my taste... I do own a number of Vanguard funds, though.

AAPL at 3x and RIMM at 4x growth have been my horses this past year.

Melgross introduced me to CLWR and I don't see any other tech on the horizon to compete with WiMAX (4G). The technology still has a long way to go to be ubiquitous but if Intel can finally get it integrated into it's next chipset then CLWR goes up dramatically. If new nationwide competition comes on the radar then CLWR gets noticed and the stock goes up

I don't think AT&T can buy CLWR as they had to sell a certain spectrum to make the BellSouth deal go thorough, but that won't prevent other cell carriers from buying them up and the stock goes up.

Still, I think I'm going to invest more in AAPL and RIMM for the time being as they seem like sure winners in the coming months.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Why are we talking about the stock market?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

S[amSandwich mentioned the 6 point gain in Apple's stock. This is usually mentioned when Apple does well. I happened to chime in with reason for focusing elsewhere and things jsut started steamrolling from there,
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

If you like Apple, you'll eventually want to become a shareholder (as long as Steve Jobs is still around). If you haven't noticed, their stock has been on a growth curve that will make the average investor plotz.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Heck with that. The boards are open for everyone to comment. I don't PM, only with the Admins here.

Then move to a different thread.

This is about "Road to Leopard"
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Then move to a different thread.

This is about "Road to Leopard"

You haven't been here very long, have you?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

AAPL at 3x and RIMM at 4x growth have been my horses this past year.

Melgross introduced me to CLWR and I don't see any other tech on the horizon to compete with WiMAX (4G). The technology still has a long way to go to be ubiquitous but if Intel can finally get it integrated into it's next chipset then CLWR goes up dramatically. If new nationwide competition comes on the radar then CLWR gets noticed and the stock goes up

I don't think AT&T can buy CLWR as they had to sell a certain spectrum to make the BellSouth deal go thorough, but that won't prevent other cell carriers from buying them up and the stock goes up.

Still, I think I'm going to invest more in AAPL and RIMM for the time being as they seem like sure winners in the coming months.

Clearwire's immediate competitor that will trump them is Google. The only way widespread use of 700Mhz WiMax will be through Google.

You want them to win the Auction.

Clearwire would best serve itself as partnering with Google like it did with Sprint--the real reason the stock shot up.