Does 10.5.1 update fix MBP Keyboard freezing issue

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought Leopard but have been waiting until the 10.5.1 update is out to install it so am ready to install today. I have a MBP though and heard about the MBP keyboard freezing issue. Did the 10.5.1 update fix this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    smeesmee Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I bought Leopard but have been waiting until the 10.5.1 update is out to install it so am ready to install today. I have a MBP though and heard about the MBP keyboard freezing issue. Did the 10.5.1 update fix this problem?

I think they've already fixed the MBP freezing issue.

The new update makes things more snappier too, so go ahead and install

Have fun!

(what kind of install are you doing?)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Not for me. I think it created a keyboard freezing issue. For the first couple weeks I had my new MBP 15" it worked fine. Since installing 10.5.1 I've had this weird keyboard freezing for what appears to be exactly 10 seconds pretty frequently. I haven't figured out exactly what causes it, but it happens a LOT in Safari.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I noticed it happened to me after waking from hibernation. Rebooting would always fix it. Since then, I never let the mbp hibernate (the process where ram is dumped to disk), just sleep. No problems since.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    My Santa Rosa MBP encounters the same issue. I purchased it the week they came out, so it's been running fine w/ Tiger for quite a while. The issue has made me want to throw my Mac out the window quite a few times because it's so damned random and sporadic.

Before 10.5.1 I called Apple support and they had me "reset the NVRAM". That actually seemed to go pretty far towards fixing the problem. It still happened, but far more rarely (only a couple of times per week, rather than several times per day). Ever since 5.1 I haven't seen it at all, so whatever they did in there fixed it on my end.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    This happens to me for about 10-15 seconds after being idle for about 5-10 minutes or waking up form sleep. another issue -- not sure if it's related -- is the dock and expose seem to no longer function. killing and restarting the dock doesn't seem to work. the only to get around the problem is to restart.

fyi...i have a 15-day old 2.4Ghz Macbook.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

No! My MBP (Latest rev 2.4Ghz) was fine until I updated to 10.5.1. Now it locks out the the keyboard and mouse also most every time it wakes up - really great thanks Apple! maybe I'll switch to Windows XP
  • Reply 7 of 11
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    ^ Repair permissions.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

^ Repair permissions.

Did that, worked for a few weeks and now it's doing it again, great!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I had this happen and I have tiger installed. What began as the odd freeze very soon became a total freeze and, as already mentioned, my macbook pro could only be operated by an external mouse and keyboard. Looking around at the forums I found the suspicion was it was hardware problem and particularly there was advice to depress the orange strip under the battery (hold it down with tape or something which seemed to work for people).

I was still under warranty and reluctant to use that kind of short term fix so I went to the genius bar and, after messing round with the very same orange strip to no effect they identified it as a hardware problem. They replaced the top case and keyboard. It works now, touch wood. If this happens and you're out of warranty I think it's not great you'd have to pay £130 odd for what seems to be a hardware fault giving your mbp unacceptable reliability issues. After all, these things aren't cheap and you're paying for a premium product.

The guys at the genius bar were fine, courteous and helpful and after all it got fixed. I asked if it was a common fault and the guy said it wasn't. I suppose when it happens to you it feels like a 100 % ! I suspect tho' they spend all day talking to people whose stuff is broken / not working and, in common with other customer services, they don't get paid a hell of a lot but are expected to absorb a lot of crap from unhappy mac owners and give a high level of expertise and service.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    The KB freeze on my MB was 'cured' by the Apple repair, but after loading the system update, it's started again, big time.

Anybody know a fix?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    My 2010 Mac Pro is also freezing up, I have 10.6.5 and it's still a problem.

Any answers out there?

Thanks!