HD Format for Windows and OSX (not FAT)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited July 2014
Is there any format that will work with both Windows and OSX? I want to use it for a 320GB external drive. As far as I know, FAT will not support larger than 32GB. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    I've got a 160 GB hard drive formatted with FAT right now, and in fact, most external hard drives come either unpartitioned, or partitioned with FAT.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The 32 GB limit is a MS "feature" for formatting in XP/Vista. In Win 2000 and ME you can format any HD in FAT32

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

My 320 MB drive is OK in FAT32, as long as you stay away from files of 4 GB and larger.
  • Reply 3 of 8

• Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penguincentral View Post

Isn't there software that you can install on XP to access mac formatted drives?

I doubt it. As far as I know, it needs to be built into the core of the OS. It's for that same reason that Mac OS X can read NTFS drives, but not write to them.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Actually, there is. Try MacDrive.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I stand corrected.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2

Try the ext2 file system if you don't like FAT. There are drivers for both OS-X and Windows and ext2 works with Linux as well.

disclaimer: I haven't done this, but it is doable. You might want to check the OS X drivers first.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    spinnerlysspinnerlys Posts: 218member
    There are free alternatives for both sides of access to either Windows and Mac OS X.

For accessing an HFS+ formatted volume under Windows you could use HFS Explorer.

It's a standalone progamme that works with Java. With it you can browse your HFS+ formatted volumes.

MacDrive is of course simpler, because you can just open the Explorer and there is your HFS+ volume, shown like all the other volumes.

For writing to an NTFS formatted volume under Mac OS x you can use MacFuse and the NTFS 3G Read/Write driver. It works like a charm for me.