Mac OS X 10.5.2 to deliver sprawling list of fixes for Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update, the next in a year-long series of planned updates to Apple's new Leopard operating system, promises to be one of the most hefty maintenance releases put out by the company for its operating system software in recent years.

According to people familiar with the matter, Tuesday evening gave way to the first test builds of the software update for developers, including a 354MB bare-bones delta build and a 362MB combo updater -- both of which were labeled Mac OS X 10.5.2 build 9C7.

The Cupertino-based Mac maker reportedly asked those developers to focus their testing efforts on an expansive list of components running some 37 items long. Among them were Data Detectors, the Mac OS X Dock, the Finder, grammar checking, iCal, iChat, Mail, Parental Controls, Quick Look, Rosetta, Safari, Time Machine, and Leopard's 802.11 AirPort implementation (which has troubled some MacBook users.)

Meanwhile, the list of fixes and Leopard code corrections already baked into the 10.5.2 release runs even larger at a whopping 76. In particular, Apple appears to have placed an extra emphasis on its implementation of CUPS (Common Unix Printing System), fixing several distinct issues with the modular printing system, such as problems with reverse order printing and print jobs that had been placed on hold. Fixes for AirPort shared printing were also implemented, according to those familiar with the software.

In addition, Apple continues to free its Rosetta PowerPC compatibility layer of memory leaks while also tying loose ends in the new version of its Mail client -- correcting anomalies with mail flags, the display of certain fonts in mail windows, and the way Mail data detectors interface with iCal.

Mac OS X 10.5.2 build 9C7 stands as just the first external distribution of the impending Leopard update, which is not expected for released to end users until early next year. Previous rumors had suggested the software could arrive alongside new hardware at next month's Macworld Expo, which kicks off January 15th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Cool. I only hope one of the sprawling fixes is: "Took out 10.5 network stack and put 10.4 one back in."
  • Reply 2 of 71
    I wonder if all the people who said they wouldn't touch Leopard until v-dot-2 arrived will run out and get a copy when it lands?
  • Reply 3 of 71
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Among them were ... the Mac OS X Dock, the Finder, ...

God, I hope they give you the option of switching off Stacks and make the Finder remember icon settings without having to manually edit every window.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Could we please get Time machine over AirDisk back?

...and how about some new Airport Extreme firmware to correct the issue with the AirDisk being disabled if it is mounted when you put your comptuer to sleep.

...and adding (back) an option for browsing nested folders from the dock would be fantastic.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I want some more new features. How could Apple miss out and not make a Spaces for Dashboard. The analogy is staring them right in the face! It would be awesome if I could have 4 Dashboard spaces.

Come on!
  • Reply 6 of 71
    *sigh*. So they're not going to fix what they broke in Front Row 2.0 at all, huh?
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

*sigh*. So they're not going to fix what they broke in Front Row 2.0 at all, huh?

What's broke in Front Row? It works so much better now, well to me anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    So I guess all those engineers pulled over to work on the iPhone are back at their day job, eh?
  • Reply 9 of 71
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

I wonder if all the people who said they wouldn't touch Leopard until v-dot-2 arrived will run out and get a copy when it lands?

Looks like I will be in this group and be buying the Family Pack.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

What did they break? It runs fine for me.

Agree with Cubert. Ok, so Apple have Expose, Deshboard, and Spaces. Hello....combine dashboard and spaces. Or at least give us the option to do so.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

developers to focus their testing efforts on an expansive list of components running some 37 items long. Among them were Data Detectors, the Mac OS X Dock, the Finder, grammar checking, iCal, iChat, Mail, Parental Controls, Quick Look, Rosetta, Safari, Time Machine, and Leopard's 802.11 AirPort implementation (which has troubled some MacBook users.)

I'll add my fix wishlist -- iChat screen sharing has worked exactly once out of about 100 tries.

Something (Parental Controls?) is trashing my internet connection, after my iMac has been on for a while, I suddenly can't load pages. Requesting Apple.com loads the page footer only.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

While it generally works better, especially for streaming over a network, one thing in particular that doesn't work anymore is display of album art when using a remote source. I have a Mac Mini hooked up to the TV and if I go to Sources in Front Row and select my PowerBook, I get the library loaded and can browse without incident (which wasn't the case in 10.4), but it will not display ANY album art (iTS, ID3 tag?makes no difference).
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

What broke in Front Row for me is the "Resume Playing" or "Start From Beginning" choice for movies stored on an external drive that is aliased into the Movies directory. The only work around would be to alias every one of them individually! I often have to pause a movie to do something else and now cannot resume... I have to find where I was manually. This used to work fine.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poo View Post

What broke in Front Row for me is the "Resume Playing" or "Start From Beginning" choice for movies stored on an external drive that is aliased into the Movies directory. The only work around would be to alias every one of them individually! I often have to pause a movie to do something else and now cannot resume... I have to find where I was manually. This used to work fine.

Odd, it worked fine for me out of the box.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    And I hope they fix the missing artwork in Front Row when you use a shared iTunes library that me and another dozen people have complained about in the forums.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    I hope they fixed Spaces...

Every time I have something active in spaces, like an FTP uploading a website or any download app, in another space than the one I am working on I get a kernel alert... A friend of mine is experiencing the same...
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

I know I probably won't. I only really had time to upgrade to Leopard over the next two weeks, but am having issues deciding what features I'll get from it. With this huge update coming as well, I want to see how well it works first. Looks like March may be upgrade time, but I may wait a bit longer.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Cool. But it kind of highlights how many things were broken to begin with. Not to mention the unnecessary newly-designed Leopard bells and whistles which are so much less a joy than Tiger was. My impression is that however much Leopard may be the technical advance it's touted as, someone at Apple isn't really looking after the store.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    It would be nice if Mail was fixed so when you delete messages they delete; and when you read messages that when you switch between folders in mail that they don't reappear as unread or never been deleted. Plus there's no status when sending or receiving messages. Sent box is empty.. etc. This was on a MacbookPro and just upgrading. I have a PowerBook and ran a clean install and see none of these issues.

Anyone else having such Mail issues and have you found a way for a fix?
  • Reply 20 of 71
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gbdoc View Post

Cool. But it kind of highlights how many things were broken to begin with. Not to mention the unnecessary newly-designed Leopard bells and whistles which are so much less a joy than Tiger was. My impression is that however much Leopard may be the technical advance it's touted as, someone at Apple isn't really looking after the store.

Not really. You could look at every Apple update from 10.4.x and see the same things. It doesn't mean its all broken to begin with.