Why the all new MacBook Pro has been delayed

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The all new MacBook Pro was meant to make its debut at MacWorld in January.

The big story was meant to be that while 2007 was all about the iPhone, 2008 would see Apple return to its roots: computers.

Steve Jobs had planned to reveal a brand new 17" MacBook Pro, a brand new 15" MacBook Pro, (and, if my source is correct, there was even meant to be a brand new 13" model, but it isn't clear whether this was MacBook Pro or MacBook - but it is definitely aluminium). Having introduced these machines, the "...and just one more little thing." was meant to be the MacBook Air.

All of these machines feature the gesture touchpad, new keyboard, LED screens and super-sleek thinner case designs, longer battery life, lower weight than the existing line-up and 802.11n WiFi capabilities.

What screwed up the launch was the manufacturing problem Intel is having with Penryn processors using the new 45Nm process. THEY STILL HAVEN'T YET SHIPPED IN VOLUME.

Given that Leopard 10.5.2 wasn't ready either, the decision to pull the launch was made as a delay between announcement and launch would have killed Mac sales. As things stand, Apple will not launch any revised laptops until Penryn is up and running. That is expected to happen later this week or next week.

For these reasons, Apple is holding a special event in February which will include the iPhone SDK but no 3G iPhone yet.

Apparently, the decision to pull the launch of the revised range was only taken just before the MacWorld Conference and SJ was not amused. Fortunately, the MacBook Air uses a unique processor that was ready in time so this was unaffected by the penryn problem.

So, be patient, friends, new MBPs are coming. The delay isn't Apple's fault.

By all accounts, we'll all be delighted when these machines show-up. They'll be worth their WAIT in Gold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    and your sources are...

sounds good, but i'll believe the "thinner case design" when i see it.

there's too much speculation floating around.
  • Reply 2 of 99
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

The big story was meant to be that while 2007 was all about the iPhone, 2008 would see Apple return to its roots: computers.

Possibly. Like many rumors it does sound good.

Quote:

Steve Jobs had planned to reveal a brand new 17" MacBook Pro, a brand new 15" MacBook Pro, (and, if my source is correct, there was even meant to be a brand new 13" model, but it isn't clear whether this was MacBook Pro or MacBook - but it is definitely aluminium). Having introduced these machines, the "...and just one more little thing." was meant to be the MacBook Air.

Well one thing that is obvious is that the keynote was a bit short.

Quote:

All of these machines feature the gesture touchpad, new keyboard, LED screens and super-sleek thinner case designs, longer battery life, lower weight than the existing line-up and 802.11n WiFi capabilities.

Sounds nice!

Quote:

What screwed up the launch was the manufacturing problem Intel is having with Penryn processors using the new 45Nm process. THEY STILL HAVEN'T YET SHIPPED IN VOLUME.

Yes Intel has been having problems with the design or process, I've forgotten which. This is public knowledge and apparently only impacts Intel's fastest versions.

What I find funny here is not that Intel is having problems with its next gen processor but that the world seems to move on for them without concern. AMD on the other hand is getting skewered for similar issues with Phenom. I guess there is no justice in this world if you are a favored Apple supplier.

Quote:

Given that Leopard 10.5.2 wasn't ready either, the decision to pull the launch was made as a delay between announcement and launch would have killed Mac sales. As things stand, Apple will not launch any revised laptops until Penryn is up and running. That is expected to happen later this week or next week.

If they are ready this soon that is actually a good thing. Penryn should make for very interesting laptops or for that matter desktops.

Quote:

For these reasons, Apple is holding a special event in February which will include the iPhone SDK but no 3G iPhone yet.

Well yeah that has been expected for months.

Quote:

Apparently, the decision to pull the launch of the revised range was only taken just before the MacWorld Conference and SJ was not amused. Fortunately, the MacBook Air uses a unique processor that was ready in time so this was unaffected by the penryn problem.

Yeah I think it is called CORE 2. If I was Jobs I wouldn't be amused either as this will cost them money and more whining from the faithful. Plus the stability of Penryn as a platform will be in question for some time. At least they still are with the leading processor manufacture.

Quote:

When there is a delay whose fault it is doesn't really matter. Meeting customer expectations and delivering product on time is key to good business. The unfortunate part here is that customer expectations come not form Apple but from Rumor sites such as this.

Quote:

By all accounts, we'll all be delighted when these machines show-up. They'll be worth their WAIT in Gold.

Well yeah they always say that, and AIR has been sold that way. Not that I disagree either as there is a lot of great technology, that seems to be hitting the streets all at once, that could go into these new pro machines. The flip side of that is another round of generation one (1) machines. Considering this maybe these would be best considered as early adopter machines.

dave
  • Reply 3 of 99
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post

and your sources are...

I don't know the guy and certainly don't know the source but the Intel related hardware issues are public knowledge. Well at least to a certain extent.

Quote:

A thinner case is actually the easiest component above to believe. Just by going to LED back lighting they should win a mm or too right there.

Quote:

Well yeah that is because it is pretty obvious that plans where changed at the last minute for MWSF. I'm actually impressed that they pulled it off as well as they did.

What I'm going to wonder about is just how good the small machine will be and will all the current AIR purchasers be disappointed with their new machines.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 99
    Must say that a lot of posts like this have appeard in last weeks, my ass hurts a little because of all that screwing around that MBP.

One thing is certain, all that waiting will pay-off........................eventually
  • Reply 5 of 99
    Well I certainly agree, if there's a Macbook Pro 13" in the pipes, then I definitely foresee people saying nay to the Air, and focusing on a machine with a superdrive. (which seems to be everyone's biggest beef besides the price)
  • Reply 6 of 99
    Quote:

and your sources are...

I work in the investment community in London and follow tech stocks very closely. We may be in London, but we know everyone in Redmond, Cupertino, San Jose, and Palo Alto. And if we don't know someone directly, we can always find someone who does. I also know Brits who work at Apple, although I quickly add that it is more than their job's worth to spill the beans. (That said, they do occasionally and unintentionally reveal things they shouldn't!)

BTW, by all accounts screen and cover are thinner, but the depth has been reduced by the new keyboard. I think it is around 2cm thick now versus 2.5 cm, but no confirmed word on exact revised dimensions.

Don't take my word on anything I've said here. Just wait and see. We're now talking just a matter of days.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    just wonderin' and it sounds awesome.

I'm excited, now all they need to do is release it.
  • Reply 8 of 99
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

DUDE!! What about Intel's silverthorne?? Can you find out from your source if the mac touch is delayed too until Intel ships silverthorne in volume just as the penryn shipments effected the macbooks??

Please let me know??
  • Reply 9 of 99
    Quote:

and your sources are...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

DUDE!! What about Intel's silverthorne?? Can you find out from your source if the mac touch is delayed too until Intel ships silverthorne in volume just as the penryn shipments effected the macbooks??

Please let me know??

There is no reliable info on Apple's plans for Silverthorne yet. The only reports have come from Appleinsider and are based on Intel Press Releases. The latest speculation is that Apple will use Silverthorne in a range of products to include a larger touch tablet, (aka Newton Take 2), a game machine and possibly a 3G iPhone. For sure, Apple is developing some kind of MacTouch product that looks like a bigger iPhone/ iPod Touch, but whatever it is, I doubt we'll see it this side of macWorld 2009. I also doubt that Silverthorne will be used in the 3G iPhone because it uses way too much power.

For me the interesting future Intel chip isn't Silverthorne but Moorestown. This should feature in some future iPhone and offer 3G speed with ultra-low power consumption.

I know that Apple is experimenting with MacBooks that have a touch keyboard instead of a regular one. The prototype is like opening a MacBook with two screens. In addition to traditional QWERTY keys, it allows commands and program menus to be embedded in the keyboard leaving the manin screen free of menus etc. it has all kinds of implications for form factors. Ultra cool, but still some way from production.

If you really want to crystal ball gaze, the hot hot future tech comes when we finally get an intel processor that enables 100% accurate speech recognition. That day is drawing closer.

Going back to this thread, 2008 is about Apple's core laptop range. They have to refresh it to remain competitive. It is the primary driver of enormous cash flow and so is an urgent priority.
  • Reply 10 of 99
    this guy is just another one of those fakes out there who try to hype people up. Guys I can tell you now, its not coming till April. Not March, but probably in April. It won't even show up in that February event.

His first post was on 02-01-2008 @ 11:12 AM:

"This info comes to you from London via an Englishman working at Apple, (and there are more than you think ;-))

A revised MacBook Pro with a Leopard 10.5.2 update was meant to debut at MacWorld but neither was ready.

The delay for the MBP was caused by Intel Penryn processors not being available due to some production glitch. As we all know, Apple doesn't like to announce products too far ahead of their shipping dates - with the notable exception of the iPhone - so decided to delay the launch. Penryn-based PCs now good to go and begin shipping Monday.

Expect new MBP 15-inch and 17-inch within two weeks. 17-inch gets LED.

New MBP DOES feature a slightly revised case design with the new black keyboard from MBA and a larger trackpad, but is basically very similar to existing design. Think evolution not revolution.

The idea is to achieve a commonality of look across the range.

SSD will be an option offering an exceptionally fast boot time < 30 seconds.

Also seen lurking in the corridors of Cupertino was an aluminum MacBook 13". Initially available in silver, my source reckons anodized black, blue, pink and other colours will be available around September. New MacBooks will be a big story later this year. One of the range (I don't know which, maybe the black one) will have a superior spec that basically makes it a MacBook Pro 13"."

Reference: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=83903

His second post was today, @ 11:17 AM

"The all new MacBook Pro was meant to make its debut at MacWorld in January. The big story was meant to be that while 2007 was all about the iPhone, 2008 would see Apple return to its roots: computers. Steve Jobs had planned to reveal a brand new 17" MacBook Pro, a brand new 15" MacBook Pro, (and, if my source is correct, there was even meant to be a brand new 13" model, but it isn't clear whether this was MacBook Pro or MacBook - but it is definitely aluminum). Having introduced these machines, the "...and just one more little thing." was meant to be the MacBook Air.

All of these machines feature the gesture touchpad, new keyboard, LED screens and super-sleek thinner case designs, longer battery life, lower weight than the existing line-up and 802.11n WiFi capabilities. What screwed up the launch was the manufacturing problem Intel is having with Penryn processors using the new 45Nm process. THEY STILL HAVEN'T YET SHIPPED IN VOLUME. Given that Leopard 10.5.2 wasn't ready either, the decision to pull the launch was made as a delay between announcement and launch would have killed Mac sales. As things stand, Apple will not launch any revised laptops until Penryn is up and running. That is expected to happen later this week or next week.

By all accounts, we'll all be delighted when these machines show-up. They'll be worth their WAIT in Gold."

Reference: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=84319

Now let me ask you all one question, can anyone provide proof that Intel's new mobile chip has shipped in volume? (While some manufacturers claim the laptops with the new chips are in stock, I have yet to see any ship and there are only one or two reviews on Penryn based laptops thus far).
  • Reply 11 of 99
    Perhaps there is some sort of agreement among manufactures (Dell, Apple, HP, etc.) to release Penryn-based laptops on the same day?
  • Reply 12 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

this guy is just another one of those fakes out there who try to hype people up. Guys I can tell you now, its not coming till April. Not March, but probably in April. It won't even show up in that February event.

His first post was on 02-01-2008 @ 11:12 AM:

Prepare to eat your words. I shall expect a grovelling aopology.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    i'm really wondering here guys. How long do we still have to wait before the new MBP comes out?

i'm starting to get sick off all the waiting
  • Reply 14 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samoske View Post

i'm really wondering here guys. How long do we still have to wait before the new MBP comes out?

Word.
  • Reply 15 of 99
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

There is no reliable info on Apple's plans for Silverthorne yet. The only reports have come from Appleinsider and are based on Intel Press Releases. The latest speculation is that Apple will use Silverthorne in a range of products to include a larger touch tablet, (aka Newton Take 2), a game machine and possibly a 3G iPhone. For sure, Apple is developing some kind of MacTouch product that looks like a bigger iPhone/ iPod Touch, but whatever it is, I doubt we'll see it this side of macWorld 2009. I also doubt that Silverthorne will be used in the 3G iPhone because it uses way too much power.

For me the interesting future Intel chip isn't Silverthorne but Moorestown. This should feature in some future iPhone and offer 3G speed with ultra-low power consumption.

I know that Apple is experimenting with MacBooks that have a touch keyboard instead of a regular one. The prototype is like opening a MacBook with two screens. In addition to traditional QWERTY keys, it allows commands and program menus to be embedded in the keyboard leaving the manin screen free of menus etc. it has all kinds of implications for form factors. Ultra cool, but still some way from production.

If you really want to crystal ball gaze, the hot hot future tech comes when we finally get an intel processor that enables 100% accurate speech recognition. That day is drawing closer.

Going back to this thread, 2008 is about Apple's core laptop range. They have to refresh it to remain competitive. It is the primary driver of enormous cash flow and so is an urgent priority.

ARGH!!!! Your wrong!!! We will get the MACTOUCH THIS YEAR!!!!

EDIT: Ok..............I've calmed down now.

Anyways, I had already thought that as a possiblity of the direction they might take their multitouch.....into full keyboards. For that needed feedback they might possibly employ that patent they have on multitouch surfaces with the ability to physically raise each pixel like braille. So in theory, in a "keyboard" mode you would have the key display with keys thats raised so it would feel like a real key. Imagine physical keys that can be configured on the fly that would disappear or appear according to how its programmed.

Good stuff
  • Reply 16 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samoske View Post

i'm sick of waiting too
  • Reply 17 of 99
    Quote:

bring it on, I'll even give it a month, if its true I will owe you an apology.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    Quote:

can we get a little bit of proof...please, because I for one am somewhat convinced.
  • Reply 19 of 99
    Tailpipe,

Are you explicitly saying that you believe new MBP's will be released at this as yet unconfirmed event on the 26th?

I was about to go out and buy one, but I'll give it a couple of more weeks.

The only thing that doesn't really gel with me is that if they are released then and at the same time as the SDK, they'll overshadow the SDK won't they?

I reckon if we see the SDK next Tues, you could be right for the MBP on the 26th.

Anyway, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now...
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yellowsoul View Post

can we get a little bit of proof...please, because I for one am somewhat convinced.

I don't see how we'll get proof, do you want spy photos smuggled out of Cupertino?

Bottom line, it has been 8 months... an update delayed due to penryn is the most obvious conclusion I'm believing in right now. Apple is not going to go a year without updating their most profitable product line, I agree and believe they would have done it by now if they didn't have their hands tied due to some external force.

-K