Apple unleashes new version of Safari web browser

Comments

• Reply 60 of 124
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

The Appleinsider web page is causing Safari to crash as I naviagte around it.

Not seen the problem anywhere else. It could be related to the adverts that are being served up I suppose as they are UK specific.

AI uses all sorts of wonky scripts to open pop-up ads that Firefox and Safari can't block. You can definitely blame it on AI.
  • Reply 62 of 124
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The Report Bug button is still there, just secondary click the browser toolbar and open the customize dialog. Oh and if you hate buttons... heh, well let me show you a screenshot of what my browser toolbar looks like (resized so that it wouldn't be too wide for the thread):

Sebastian

What is your interest in inquisitors???
  • Reply 63 of 124
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    Now Why doesn't Safari have a cleverer way of organising the history, this seems like a huge omission, and one that really should be sorted out.
  • Reply 64 of 124
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Safari 3.1 for Mac OS X requires Mac OS X Leopard or Mac OS X Tiger version 10.4.11, a minimum of 256MB of memory and is designed to run on any Intel-based Mac or a Mac with a PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor and built-in FireWire. Safari 3.1 for Windows requires Windows XP or Windows Vista, a minimum of 256MB of memory and a system with at least a 500 MHz Intel Pentium processor.

Obvious the list requirement for built-in FireWire in the article is incorrect.

As posted on Apple and in the Safari Product Overiew, March 2008 pdf:

System Requirements

Mac Requirements

• Mac OS X Leopard or Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.11 or later

Windows Requirements

• Windows XP or Windows Vista

• 500MHz Pentium-class processor or better

• 256MB of RAM

We have tested the update in a number of configurations with and without FireWire. No problem. Runs fast on Macs and our lonely PC.
  • Reply 65 of 124
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fARGINaPPLES View Post

Also, don't forget the all-powerful Cmd - Q for Quit program (analogous to Alt - F4 on Windows machines). And, I've used CMD - Left and Cmd Right arrows to navigate back and forth on webpages. These are easy enough for "right-hand" navigation.

One great shortcut I use all the time is 'Command-D' to bookmark, rename and save it directly in a preset folder on the Booksmarks Bar.

More than once, I caught students/clients selecting a web page, dropping it to the Bookmarks Bar after renaming it. Then selecting and dragging the renamed bookmark into a Folder on Bookmarks Bar.

The advantage of using Command-D, it is extremely fast, lets you immediately drop a renamed bookmark in a folder on your Bookmarks Bar, and without needing to select the web address.
  • Reply 66 of 124
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Gets to 75 on the ACID3 test. Firefox 2.0 only makes it to 52. Safari 3.0.4 on Windows makes it to 39.

I'm using XP Windows box w/ Internet Exploder 7.05 at work and I get 13.

• Reply 67 of 124
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    I love Safari! Thanks Apple.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barryllium View Post

Here's a fix:

http://heatery.wordpress.com/2008/03...ith-safari-31/

You the man
  • Reply 69 of 124
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randic View Post

Try going to ESPN.COM that site always made safari crash!

Just perfect here. In my user experience Safari has been the best browser ever and i've tried everything :-)
  • Reply 70 of 124
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Hmm? Safari 3.1 passes it [Acid2 test], I just checked. Also I noticed Safari 3.1 to be a bit more stable.

On my Intel MacBook running 10.4.11, it doesn't. Screen shot:

It also doesn't work on Safari 3.1 running on Windows XP:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

By far the best approach, however, is to cntl-click any link or bookmark, which opens the link in a new tab. Bar far more efficient than opening a blank tab and then navigating to the url through that tab.

Interesting. All the URLs you visit are links are they? You never type one into the address bar yourself?
  • Reply 71 of 124
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

No "new tab" button? Does anyone else think this remains a strange omission?

Just double-click in the tab bar. Boom!
  • Reply 72 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

now I know that thher is a clear rational for announcing that software is only good for computers with built-in firewire, but doesn't that kind screw the macbook air users?

The reference to Firewire as a requirement only has to do with the fact that the architecture of the hardware changed when Firewire was introduced. Firewire isn't needed to run Safari.
  • Reply 73 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Gets to 75 on the ACID3 test. Firefox 2.0 only makes it to 52. Safari 3.0.4 on Windows makes it to 39.

Closer, but still not 100%.

Take about unrealistic expectations. Nothing is at 100/100 yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OccamsAftershave View Post

Firefox 3 beta4 gets a 67.

Impressive considering the age of the test and that Safari as a non-Beta beats out all Betas; except WebKit, of course.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

I wonder why Apple released 3.1 with such an old build of webkit. Current nightlies of Webkit are at 93.

Do you think it's wise for Apple to stick a two day old bowser engine in a "stable" build of Safari?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

It also no longer passes the Acid2 test, doh! When did that happen? Safari was famously the first browser to pass that test.

Quote:

Hmm? Safari 3.1 passes it, I just checked. Also I noticed Safari 3.1 to be a bit more stable.

The issue is with the #top addition which is used when you refresh. This occurred after WebKit build r13615 in 04-2006. Here is thebug listing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Apple's servers must be overloaded. I can't get to it in Software Update.

It's not on Software Update, you have to get old school and use Apple's DL page.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post

Now Why doesn't Safari have a cleverer way of organising the history, this seems like a huge omission, and one that really should be sorted out.

Like find-as-you-type searching? I'm not sure what you mean my "cleverer".
  • Reply 74 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Double-clicking on the tab bar for a new tab has been a feature for some time now.

The only problem with that is that it only works if you already have 2 or more tabs. With no tabs, you have no tab bar to click on.

If you're a tab-loving junky, you can switch on the option to "always show the tab bar".

I do that with every Safari I use..
  • Reply 75 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

If you're a tab-loving junky, you can switch on the option to "always show the tab bar".

I do that with every Safari I use..

I started showing it a few ago after I realized that Safari 3.1 offered that feature. It's saved me some time.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 77 of 124
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    When the number of tabs exceeds the horizontal display limit the remainder are represented with a chevron menu at the right end of the tab bar that replaces the double-click target for opening a new tab.

With the two main OS X Safari plugins I rely on most, PithHelmet will be automatically disabled in 3.1 but might work after modifying the Info.plist, similar to the 1Password change linked to earlier. Not sure about SafariStand. I'm holding off updating until there's some feedback and/or updates.

Safari 3 is rock solid for me on Tiger. It's only crashed once since using it after being installed with 10.4.11, and that was triggered by something in SafariStand. It's never crashed on my wife's Leopard system, though I've hardly used it there. And I can't remember a crash with any Windows version, which I've been using fairly frequently the last couple months on an older Toshiba notebook PC.

Reports of instability seem of little value without some concrete examples, and mentioning whether it's with the OS X and/or Windows version(s). And I realize my mentioning it never crashes isn't particularly helpful either.

SLewis: you omitted the Show Next/Previous Tab keyboard shortcuts.
  • Reply 78 of 124
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:

Closer, but still not 100%.

- Jasen.

Using latest webkit build I get 93/100

I've not noticed any bugs yet. I believe that they hit stable build milestones, package it, security test it, then roll it out. I always test webkit so often & if I find a release that is very stable I always use that instead of Safari.
  • Reply 79 of 124
    citycity Posts: 522member
    I still have to use FireFox when searching for Real Estate Listings on www.themls.com (Beverly Hills/Greater Los Angeles Board of Realtors) . After the search results are counted, a "go" window is suppose to pop up. Pop-ups are not blocked. The site kinda worked prior to Safari 3. Non members use the site too. Members (maybe a thousand) are discouraged from using Macs. I keep my Windows machine handy for some functions.
  • Reply 80 of 124
    Missing new tab button is something so stupid that makes no sense why Apple is being such stubborn!!!