iPhone 3G's third sensor; Sydney store official; Radeon HD 3870

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The mystery third sensor in the new iPhone has allegedly been revealed, but it's not what some have expected. Also, Apple's first Australian store opens its doors next week, and AMD has unveiled a dual-mode Radeon HD card that works with both Macs and PCs.

iPhone 3G's third sensor confirmed?

Rumors of a third iPhone sensor requiring case redesigns are accurate but aren't quite what users had hoped for, iLounge now claims.

While it's purportedly true that case manufacturers had to clear additional room at the top front of the phone for a new sensor, the equipment is said to be a second proximity sensor rather than a hoped-for front video camera. The extra component would more accurately gauge whether or not a user's face is close enough to shut off the screen and save power.

The initial iPhone's one-sensor design hasn't always detected the user properly, according to the report.

Sydney Apple Store to open next week

Apple has announced the official opening of Apple Store Sydney for Thursday, June 19th, at 5PM.

The store is Apple's first in the southern Pacific nation and will also be one of the biggest even after a future Melbourne store, with the outlet at the corner of George and King occupying three stories and 14,370 square feet.

The opening also arrives nearly three weeks before the July 11th debut of the iPhone 3G in the country.

AMD unwraps Radeon HD 3870 for Macs

AMD on Thursday lived up to recent rumors and introduced its new ATI Radeon HD 3870 for Mac & PC.

As suggested by the name, the add-in video card is designed to work both in Mac Pro workstations as well as in conventional Windows PCs, while the cards available through Apple itself typically run only with Macs. The card is said to perform twice as well in performance-per-watt tests than the Windows-exclusive Radeon HD 2900 XT card of last year.

The card should be available through resellers in late June for $219 and will support dual 30-inch Apple Cinema Displays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

The initial iPhone's one-sensor design hasn't always detected the user properly, according to the report.

Really?

My 4GB iPhone's proximity sensor--and nearly everything else on this spectacular piece of hardware--works magnificently.

I look like a tool sitting there moving my iPhone to and from my face, watching the display promptly disappear and reappear as it's supposed to.

Every time I use my iPhone I get the same feeling I get when I watch a 747 take off: Wow.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

...According to the large opening around the speaker, Apple seems to have placed two Proximity sensors...

w00t I got another prediction correct.

Two feathers in my hat
  • Reply 3 of 22
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    i never had any problems with the proximity sensor, when the iphone's close to my head it turns the display off, always...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Every time I use my iPhone I get the same feeling I get when I watch a 747 take off: Wow.

Very nicely put!

• Reply 5 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple's European store moves is like watching a snail move. I don't buy any excuses. Steve needs a good slap!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    To repeat what I just said on another forum:

I hope they include support in the API for the proximity sensors.

If there are two proximity sensors, I presume it is possible to calculate the position of a hand in 2 axis.

Various gestures, pocket theremin etc

What distance do the sensors work does anyone know? or are they super short range?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

... pocket theremin...

if you used the theremin while your iPhone was set to vibrate,

would that be considered a good vibration?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    How does this new ATI card stack up against the 8800 now shipping?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

How does this new ATI card stack up against the 8800 now shipping?

I would guess not as good as 8800 for games, but in the short term probably better than 8800 for any apps that use Core Image and Core Video. 8800 performance did go up quite a bit with 10.5.3, but it still can't beat the X1900 or X2600 in pro apps.

It looks like Bare Feats is going to post benchmarks in the next few days.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple's European store moves is like watching a snail move. I don't buy any excuses. Steve needs a good slap!

Dunno, we've got plenty here in the UK thanks.

Two of them local to me in Manchester even.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Woooo! Sydney store. Who's lining up?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I just had a thought.

Theoretically a video phone app could be madepossible on the current iphone. If you held the front face of the phone up to a mirror you could simultaneously record yourself and view a reflection of the screen (the incoming video stream could be displayed in reverse so that the image appears normally in the mirror). Alternatively someone could just make a mini periscope for the iphone's camera and, voila, front facing camera.

Not very practical but possible nonetheless.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

if you used the theremin while your iPhone was set to vibrate,

would that be considered a good vibration?

Brilliant!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    The tough decision for including a video camera is should it go on the backside which makes it more home-video friendly; or should the camera go on the frontside facing the user which makes it more video-conference-call friendly? Or would Apple have to include two video cameras?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    zagmaczagmac Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

The tough decision for including a video camera is should it go on the backside which makes it more home-video friendly; or should the camera go on the frontside facing the user which makes it more video-conference-call friendly? Or would Apple have to include two video cameras?

Being in the U.S., I'm ignorant to the current trends in 3G and beyond. But watching worldwide devices, it appears dual cameras is de-facto standard for them. This enables video calls. My question is, how prevalent are the actual calls, themselves? Is this something folks overseas (or if you're reading this from outside U.S., underseas?) are doing like crazy? I've never had the opportunity, but don't feel like I'd be using as more of a novelty. But my business doesn't require, and nobody has run into my mother-in-law yet and told her I'd really like to meet her daughter, so maybe I'm just not the right demo.

Interested in anyone's thoughts, as well as any buying-decision impact single camera/no video calls might have on new iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AMD unwraps Radeon HD 3870 for Macs

AMD on Thursday lived up to recent rumors and introduced its new ATI Radeon HD 3870 for Mac & PC.....

I guess it is nice that AMD/ATI is releasing the card but aren't they about to ship the 4800 series for the Windows/Vista platform? It seems once again they are a day late and a dollar short.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    I was hoping for a digital compass. Am I correct in assuming that the current and 3g iPhones cannot determine what direction the device is facing?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carloblackmore View Post

My old LG phone was a flip open model and the camera was on the hinge allowing it to rotate front or back. Since the iPhone is a completely different design this functionality is not possible, but it would be cool if it could flip around somehow inside. I kind of think that two cameras would be cheaper and less problematic though.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    devdev Posts: 2member
    I'm not convinced that it is ANOTHER proximity sensor. It doesn't make sense. I have not heard of a single complaint about unintended face inputs.

Pure speculation, but I think that it IS a conferencing camera, but Apple simply chooses not to enable it yet. That will come in the next rev of firmware. They are keeping it under wraps and the proximity sensor makes a good story. Why wait? Perhaps they want to get MobileMe up and running, and get both Apple and 3G carriers' capacity and bandwidth nailed down before they enable what I believe will be the Killer App that finally decimates the competition: VideoPhone via IChat/MobileMe. Those of us who went to Disneyland in the 60's and sat in the booths in Tomorrowland to play with ATT's version will know what I'm talking about. It would make a great Apple ad comparing that vintage footage vs the iPhone in the palm of your hand!

Perhaps next year, Rev 3 of the firmware will enable the camera. Paid upgrade ($49?) for users wanting the video conferencing capability. What a great suprise to owners of V2 devices!! Videoconferencin WITHOUT having to buy a new iPhone!!

The above is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder... :-)
  • Reply 20 of 22
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    I know quite a few people with 3G phones here in England but have only ever met one person who claims to make regular video calls. The real benefit is faster data