Inside iPhone 2.0: iPhone 3G vs. other smartphones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Of course not a replacement for your stand alone camera- but a powerful tool to capture video on the fly i.e., disasters, political gaffes, etc. These have become as important as the Zapruder filming of JFK assasination was years ago. We always carry our phones

but not usually our cameras.

Would me using the camera below as my personal digicam skew my opinion one this?

(I don't really, but I wish i had one)

Quote:

I mean how difficult would it be to add a Quicktime app from Apple to fix this? They are missing the boat on this one.

I'm surprised that we haven't seen a 3rd-party app in the App Store for doing video capture. I know of no SDK rule that would prevent it and the process of using the CoreAnimation framework to capture video should be fairly simple.

You can jailbreak your iPhone to get a video camera app, but I have yet to try it out.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Regarding cameras, there will be no comparing mobile phones to point and shoot cameras. Period. Mobile phones don't have enough room for the optics that make great photos possible in point and shoot cameras. People cannot expect to look at specifications regarding a camera for reliable results. A typical 2 megapixel point-and-shoot camera will take photos that will blow the 3.2 megapixel camera photo clean out of the water. The only difference the higher MP rating offers is that the photos are larger. Your crappy photo is larger. At the level of quality offered by a phone camera, you might as well just zoom in digitally.

Phone cameras are great for capturing a moment. They aren't any good for photography.

Quote:

So Samsung's this year model would proboably therefore surpass it twofold.

Most new high end phones offer 3.2 megapixels.

The megapixels are not very important... what matters for a photo like this is the quality of the optics, i/a, and the software processing. Compare photos, not specifications.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Regarding cameras, there will be no comparing mobile phones to point and shoot cameras. Period. Mobile phones don't have enough room for the optics that make great photos possible in point and shoot cameras. People cannot expect to look at specifications regarding a camera for reliable results. A typical 2 megapixel point-and-shoot camera will take photos that will blow the 3.2 megapixel camera photo clean out of the water. The only difference the higher MP rating offers is that the photos are larger. Your crappy photo is larger. At the level of quality offered by a phone camera, you might as well just zoom in digitally.

Phone cameras are great for capturing a moment. They aren't any good for photography.

The megapixels are not very important... what matters for a photo like this is the quality of the optics, i/a, and the software processing. Compare photos, not specifications.

Well I'm not the one comparing to point and shoot cameras.

And I beg to differ but 2 megapixel is sub par compared to any 3.2 megapixel camera. Please let me know what camera this rule does not apply. What you state only works when you go up beyond 3 megapixels- 5 to 10.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Would me using the camera below as my personal digicam skew my opinion one this?

Not that's a video camera! Who makes that?
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

For a list of the shortcomings of the iPhone 3G, see:

"Dear Apple, Jesus would be mortified!"

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38503/130/

Yeah, this article lost ALL credibility for me when she mentioned the lack of an IM app with her 3G. The App Store (including AIM) launched on the SAME DAY as the 3G, so there is no way she didn't have an IM app with her 3G iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

one more advantage, iPhone ActiveSyncs with Exchange whereas other phones require additional software to support this feature (if i am not wrong)

It doesn't sync with it by magic. It uses software as well.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    This camera is the RED.... RED
  • Reply 28 of 60
    How about adding these "NORMAL" smartphone features in and comparing them to the iPhone.

Game, set, match, Nokia N82 it would appear.

http://europe.nokia.com/A4674003

For me personally, I wanted an iPod with a phone and the current 3G iPhone fits the bill. There are not many telephony features but for the most part they are ok. For the heavy duty lifting, VoIP, Skype, multi-protocol chats, my N82 wins every time.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm surprised that we haven't seen a 3rd-party app in the App Store for doing video capture. I know of no SDK rule that would prevent it and the process of using the CoreAnimation framework to capture video should be fairly simple.

You can jailbreak your iPhone to get a video camera app, but I have yet to try it out.

NICE !!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a Nikon D300. Got a D80 for sell if anyone is interested.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:

Other smartphones typically require the user to juggle 2GB cards in and out of microSD card slots -- an added flexibility but a hassle and a potential security risk if the phone is left alone.

Interesting choice of words - 'require' instead of 'allow'. Expandable memory a 'hassle'? Give me the choice - EVERY other smartphone has a memory card slot of some kind.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dandyrandy View Post

Interesting choice of words - 'require' instead of 'allow'. Expandable memory a 'hassle'? Give me the choice - EVERY other smartphone has a memory card slot of some kind.

Welcome to the world of AI speak. Something that would normally be detrimental becomes a feature here. You will get used to it and learn to ignore it.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

So Samsung's this year model would proboably therefore surpass it twofold.

Most new high end phones offer 3.2 megapixels.

Are the pictures better? Have you compared actual images captured under the same circumstances, or are you just comparing a single number? The megapixel count is only one of maybe six factors that affect picture quality.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are the pictures better? Have you compared actual images captured under the same circumstances, or are you just comparing a single number? The megapixel count is only one of maybe six factors that affect picture quality.

Not between 2 vs 3.2 megapixel. Between 4, 5,6 8 etc- yes I would agree. but there is a dramatic difference in detail bar none bewteen 2 and 3.2.

Name me a 2.0 camera that beats a 3.2 in detail. Do they even make 2 megapixel cameras anymore? You can't enlarge beyond 4 x 6 on a 2 megapixel without looking crappy.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

NICE !!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought a Nikon D300. Got a D80 for sell if anyone is interested.

Interested here- contact me with price /condition.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:

Not between 2 vs 3.2 megapixel. Between 4, 5,6 8 etc- yes I would agree. but there is a dramatic difference in detail bar none bewteen 2 and 3.2.

Name me a 2.0 camera that beats a 3.2 in detail. Do they even make 2 megapixel cameras anymore? You can't enlarge beyond 4 x 6 on a 2 megapixel without looking crappy.

I've never seen a non-crappy image come from any cell phone camera. They would all look pretty crappy on a 4x6, forget about anything larger. Even the 10MP phone camera from Korea. My 3MP point and shoot took better pictures.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've never seen a non-crappy image come from any cell phone camera. They would all look pretty crappy on a 4x6, forget about anything larger. Even the 10MP phone camera from Korea. My 3MP point and shoot took better pictures.

You have a phone with a 10MP camera? Name please.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    You say windows drm, but for the iphone, you just say itunes, no mention of iMts DRM...just a little bias thing that should be corrected.

for the record, you can put mp3s on all 4 phones.

You also didnt mention Audible Books capability, which I beleive is just iphone and BB
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:

Interested here- contact me with price /condition.

Shall we bounce over to the PM section?
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:

You have a phone with a 10MP camera? Name please.

No, I don't, I never said I did. I've seen image samples from the one in Korea.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The same reason that "4, 5,6 8"Mpx consumer cameras don't look that much better (if at all) applies to cell phone cameras too. Companies are upping the megapixel to market the phone because that is what people can understand but they aren't upping the quality or performance of all the other HW that make the higher resolution images worthwhile.

My old 2.1Mpx Canon Powershot takes better pics than than my iPhone and Nokia N95 (pre-8GB). The resolution is lower but the flash doesn't wash out the colours, the colours don't blur if you moved ever so slightly. It's just a much sharper and truer image all around.