Inside iPhone 2.0: MobileMe Push Messaging

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Teckstud: Most of your posts have criticised the iPhone, cell carriers and MobileMe, yet you don't and never had an iPhone. Why are you here?

Abster2core: All you do is constantly demean those that disent from the Koolaid handed out or critize anything Apple. You never disagree with anything from Apple. Why? Is it because you are a "stockholder" and feel you must justify all decisions made as good and just?

Why can't you just accept that fact the MobileMe has flaws as even Steve Jobs has? No need to get so testy.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:

Do me a favor. Read this back to your mom. Or where you the only guy here that never had to be told to put the garbage out, make your bed or failed to call home and let your parents know where you were so they didn't have to worry all night.

What is wrong in this society is the constant, continuous, redundant merciless disparagements without offering suggestion, recommendations or assistants to making it better.

VelvetHammer, Your moniker suggests that you are only here to throw crap, and the attitude of your first time visits here, suggests that you have been banned in the past.

I'm not going to be enticed into a flame war with you. I'd suggest that unless you actually have something to contribute to the topic at hand, you keep your comments to yourself.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Because like maybe I had a .Mac account? Is that so hard to comprehend?

So you had a .Mac account.

Am I gather then that all your complaints are now in reference to something that you never had?

It is a well known fact that one should never complain to one's waiter before their food has arrived. You seem to be complaining before you even enter the restaurant.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

So you had a .Mac account.

Am I gather then that all you complaints are now in reference to something that you never had?

It is a well known fact that one should never complain to one's waiter before the food has arrived. You seem to be complaining before you even enter the restaurant.

You who know so much: My account expired June 25th and I've been waiting for MobileMe to work properly before I drop $99 and re-activate it.

You can take your crusty foot out of your mouth now.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VelvetHammer View Post

Ok then, how do you suggest we 'move on'? Say, "Thanks for taking a dump all over my Mac, PC and iPhone, Apple. But it's OK, we understand, everyone makes mistakes."?

Admitting fault is not the way resolve a mistake you made. Offering a solution, alternative, or compensation is. They haven't done that globally yet.

Your suggestion to just let it go is asinine and merely a reflection of what is wrong with our society as a whole at the moment.

The personal attack is uncalled for; I won't justify it by responding in kind. I will say that I don't believe my suggestion is asinine. Apple has worked tirelessly to correct the mistakes they've made recently and HAS, as I understand, responded with compensation in the form of a one-month extension of MobileMe service for ALL MobileMe subscribers. If that isn't satisfactory to you, or others, take it up with Apple. But I'm not going to cry over spilled milk anymore.

As for problems in our society (and I offer my apologies to other readers/posters staying on topic), I think before others can be held accountable, one must hold oneself accountable. As this relates to Apple's latest rollout specifically, anyone, and everyone, reading this forum should know by now that being an early adopter of new technology carries with it certain risks. Either be prepared to accept those risks, or wait until the technology has proven itself.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

You who know so much: My account expired June 25th and I've been waiting for MobileMe to work properly before I drop $99 and re-activate it.

You can take your crusty foot out of your mouth now.

Hmm. Apple didn't officially launch MobileMe until July 11, you never having had an iPhone to try it with, and you wonder why I challenge your disparaging comments about products you never had.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abster2core View Post

hmm. Apple didn't officially launch mobileme until july 11, you never having had an iphone to try it with, and you wonder why i challenge your disparaging comments about products you never had.

No -I wonder why you can't cannot comprehend that I had a .Mac account that worked and still wish I had it!

Now do you understand????
  • Reply 28 of 55
    w00masterw00master Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

The personal attack is uncalled for; I won't justify it by responding in kind. I will say that I don't believe my suggestion is asinine. Apple has worked tirelessly to correct the mistakes they've made recently and HAS, as I understand, responded with compensation in the form of a one-month extension of MobileMe service for ALL MobileMe subscribers. If that isn't satisfactory to you, or others, take it up with Apple. But I'm not going to cry over spilled milk anymore.

So, if you lost your e-mail, etc. (basically part of the so-called 1%), what would you do then? Say nothing?

How about I put it this way? Lets say power was lost for 1% of the city and you were part of this 1%, you wouldn't complain?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

As for problems in our society (and I offer my apologies to other readers/posters staying on topic), I think before others can be held accountable, one must hold oneself accountable. As this relates to Apple's latest rollout specifically, anyone, and everyone, reading this forum should know by now that being an early adopter of new technology carries with it certain risks. Either be prepared to accept those risks, or wait until the technology has proven itself.

So what about those who've been a .Mac member prior to MobileMe who had no option but to switch, they shouldn't complain either?

Sorry, you may be tired of the "whiners," but I'm tired of the apologists.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:

Hmm. Apple didn't officially launch MobileMe until July 11, you never having had an iPhone to try it with, and you wonder why I challenge your disparaging comments about products you never had.

Why do you assume that everybody who had a .Mac membership has an iPhone?
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:

Do me a favor. Read this back to your mom. Or where you the only guy here that never had to be told to put the garbage out, make your bed or failed to call home and let your parents know where you were so they didn't have to worry all night.

What is wrong in this society is the constant, continuous, redundant merciless disparagements without offering suggestion, recommendations or assistants to making it better.

VelvetHammer, Your moniker suggests that you are only here to throw crap, and the attitude of your first time visits here, suggests that you have been banned in the past.

Again (just like my previous post), I pose this to back at you:

You were obviously not a part of the "so-called 1%," but if you were: i.e. lost e-mail, no e-mail service for weeks, etc, how would you react? Are you saying that nothing should be said?

Lets flip it again: Let say your city lost power, but got it restored and only 1% of the city still had no power. Lets say you were part of this 1% are you saying that no one should complain?

Finally, on the topic of this being a "new product." Sorry, this is hogwash. The .Mac folks had no choice but to "upgrade" to MobileMe. What should they do then? Not complain?

Sorry (just like I said to Dana), you may be tired of the "whiners," but I'm tired of the apologists.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    An insider who feels that Apple has now put the right man on the job of insuring MobileMe runs as solid as the iTunes store:

http://chuqui.typepad.com/chuqui_30/...me-proble.html
  • Reply 32 of 55
    As a professional, mobileme/.mac or whatever has never been very interesting to me. It's sort of acted as a half-ass, stop-gap solution for my small office to share calendars and contacts...but the push email, etc. is useless unless you want to do business communication with a [email protected] email address...which I don't know anyone who would. I guess it's an almost interesting option for personal users, though I don't really see why with all of the free, online solutions like gmail, flickr, etc. which seem much more reliable and easy to use. I think mobileme would be much more compelling if it were more robust and offered something that was a little more like a remote apple server, with more customizable options...or something.

Sorry, just rambling a bit.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

So, if you lost your e-mail, etc. (basically part of the so-called 1%), what would you do then? Say nothing?

The complaints are well known. Is there anything more to add about the ,Mac upgrade?

Quote:

How about I put it this way? Lets say power was lost for 1% of the city and you were part of this 1%, you wouldn't complain?

I would inform my power company of the outage, but if I had already done so, if I was privy to other people doing so and have heard them admit fault for the issue and state they are working on fixing it I wouldn't keep calling them about it. And I certainly wouldn't be expecting free month of power for my inconvenience.

Quote:

So what about those who've been a .Mac member prior to MobileMe who had no option but to switch, they shouldn't complain either?

Your email address is the same, you can still use mac.com to access your account and you now get double the storage capacity. It does seem asinine to complain about a product name change and, for most people, to complain about Apple using modern web code. Facebook recently changed their webpage setup and they didn't ask me and I hear no one complaining about them not being given an option. The only valid "switch" complaints are for the well beaten lack of iCards, the lesser beaten web bookmarks, and the hardly discussed lack of older browser support with a simpler interface and the lack of direct web access from Mobile Safari.

Quote:

Sorry, you may be tired of the "whiners," but I'm tired of the apologists.

Either end of the spectrum is bad. My problem with whiners is that many tend to rehash the same things and they usually don't propose any solution to resolve the issue.

Apple has admitted fault to both the consumer, has compensated them (even though it's mostly a frivolous act that benefits the consumer little), and has released an internal email as to how they should have done things differently. Only fixing MM's problems will make things right but at least we know Apple is taking some steps to ensure this doesn't occur again. If you are really unhappy with MM I'm pretty sure you can call Apple support and get them to refund you for the remainder of your contract.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

Push, push- in the bush.

Those of us who had .Mac accounts and no iPhones were forced to upgrade and could care less for push.

Curious but I wonder what the percent of those with and without iPhones were prior with .Mac?
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would inform my power company of the outage, but if I had already done so, if I was privy to other people doing so and have heard them admit fault for the issue and state they are working on fixing it I wouldn't keep calling them about it. And I certainly wouldn't be expecting free month of power for my inconvenience.

So, lets say (like Apple), you continue to not get service. Again, you're saying that you should keep your mouth shut? I highly doubt that anyone would do this.

Quote:

Your email address is the same, you can still use mac.com to access your account and you now get double the storage capacity. It does seem asinine to complain about a product name change and, for most people, to complain about Apple using modern web code. Facebook recently changed their webpage setup and they didn't ask me and I hear no one complaining about them not being given an option. The only valid "switch" complaints are for the well beaten lack of iCards, the lesser beaten web bookmarks, and the hardly discussed lack of older browser support with a simpler interface and the lack of direct web access from Mobile Safari.

I think you misinterpreted what I was talking about. I'm relating to people saying that "MobileMe is all new, and you shouldn't expect much from new tech!" Well sorry, but if you're e-mail was "relatively" consistent on .Mac, something you depended on, but suddenly it went to "MobileMe" and you *lost* said e-mail, *this* is where the complaints come from. The "complaints" over the name/etc. on MobileMe are trite, but that's not what we're talking about here.

.Mac users had no choice to switch to MobileMe, so this argument about "new tech" simply has holds no validity.

Quote:

Either end of the spectrum is bad. My problem with whiners is that many tend to rehash the same things and they usually don't propose any solution to resolve the issue.

I agree with you on this. However, I want to clarify my position. I think "whining" about missing hardware features, like for example on the iPhone: no Video, no upgrade to camera, are trite when they continue. However, when something is *broken* I think people have the right to complain until the issue is resolved. I know I would.

However, on the "proposed solution," explain to me how this can be done when you can't even get a hold of a Apple customer service rep? Hmmm? Also, what sort of solutions can a consumer *really* have? This is Apple's fault and problem and it should be fixed by them.

Quote:

Apple has admitted fault to both the consumer, has compensated them (even though it's mostly a frivolous act that benefits the consumer little), and has released an internal email as to how they should have done things differently. Only fixing MM's problems will make things right but at least we know Apple is taking some steps to ensure this doesn't occur again. If you are really unhappy with MM I'm pretty sure you can call Apple support and get them to refund you for the remainder of your contract.

It is *very* difficult to end this service, primarily b/c my primary e-mail is with .Mac. However, it's beginning to turn out that I have little to no option then to end my subscription.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelnyc View Post

As a professional, mobileme/.mac or whatever has never been very interesting to me. It's sort of acted as a half-ass, stop-gap solution for my small office to share calendars and contacts...but the push email, etc. is useless unless you want to do business communication with a [email protected] email address...which I don't know anyone who would. I guess it's an almost interesting option for personal users, though I don't really see why with all of the free, online solutions like gmail, flickr, etc. which seem much more reliable and easy to use. I think mobileme would be much more compelling if it were more robust and offered something that was a little more like a remote apple server, with more customizable options...or something.

Sorry, just rambling a bit.

I've had .mac since 2004 and have never used the email until now. I use the new Push service by having all my Gmail forwarded to my .Mac address so I can get them on my iPhone immediately.

The reason I have been using .Mac and have been paying for it despite having a Gmail and Flickr account (which I use) is that .Mac/MM offer so much more than either of those two combined.

For one, there is 20GB of cloud storage and 200GB of transfer month. This on is usually more expensive than the $6.67/month I pay for MM service. Secondly, it will automatically sync my contacts bookmarks and calendars across all my Macs, and now iPhone and Windows PCs. Third, it stores all this data for me, as well as my Dashboard Widgets, Dock Items, Keychains, Mail Accounts, Mail Settings (rules, signatures, smart mailboxes), Notes and System Preferences. Fouth, it offers me a domain for hosting a website, data files or images quickly right through iWeb, Finder, or iPhoto. Fifth, it allows me to connect with ease Back To My Mac when traveling.

Those are things the free services can offer and the ease of use that no other cloud service can match at any price. It's certainly not perfect?IMO it's been Apple's worst product since it was iTools?but it's a good product for all that it does for a Mac user.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

Those are things the free services can offer and the ease of use that no other cloud service can match at any price. It's certainly not perfect—IMO it's been Apple's worst product since it was iTools—but it's a good product for all that it does for a Mac user.

And you've indirectly hit the problem on the head because it had changed and is no longer meant for a Mac user but for an iPhone user- big difference.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    The service is still pretty spotty, and the promised "almost daily updates" from the guy at Apple dried up. Meanwhile, I have this odd situation where calendar changes seem to get pushed to all my Macs, but not to my iPhone or to the calendar on the me.com website. Hmm...
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

So, lets say (like Apple), you continue to not get service. Again, you're saying that you should keep your mouth shut? I highly doubt that anyone would do this.

I'm saying don't waste your energy voicing to those that can't help and voice them in a way to maximize your results.

Quote:

I think you misinterpreted what I was talking about. I'm relating to people saying that "MobileMe is all new, and you shouldn't expect much from new tech!" Well sorry, but if you're e-mail was "relatively" consistent on .Mac, something you depended on, but suddenly it went to "MobileMe" and you *lost* said e-mail, *this* is where the complaints come from. The "complaints" over the name/etc. on MobileMe are trite, but that's not what we're talking about here.

The loss of even 1 email, much less one account holders email or even 1% is unbelievable in this day and age. They'e stated that it's all been restored but I've heard some say that isn't true. If you have lost email then I suggest calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. If you've done it then I'd call again and have it escalated.

Quote:

.Mac users had no choice to switch to MobileMe, so this argument about "new tech" simply has holds no validity.

I hope you aren't suggesting that Apple not ever update the .Mac code unless all .Mac members agree to it? I don't recall anyone complaining last year when mail was updated. Unlike native apps where you have a choice to upgrade, companies with web-based apps have to take that risk. We've had issues on AI forums when they've updated vBulletin. Paid or free these issues do happen. Apple has admitted that they shouldn't have tried to do it all at once and apologized for it so our choices are we can stop using MM or hope for now is that they have learned from this mistake.

Quote:

However, on the "proposed solution," explain to me how this can be done when you can't even get a hold of a Apple customer service rep? Hmmm?

1-800-MY-APPLE will get you a CSR.

Quote:

Also, what sort of solutions can a consumer *really* have? This is Apple's fault and problem and it should be fixed by them.

I am sure you can get your money back if you tried. They are fixing it and we have admittance of fault, progress with MM working better and an apology. I'm not sure what more you want except getting your money back.

Quote:

It is *very* difficult to end this service, primarily b/c my primary e-mail is with .Mac. However, it's beginning to turn out that I have little to no option then to end my subscription.

I'd get Gmail and start to get your contacts to change this address by having your outgoing mail all come from the Gmail account. But you don't want to have to view two accounts so can just have your mac.com address auto-forward the mail to Gmail. And once you finally get the majority of your contacts using Gmail you can have an auto reply for your mac.com address that informs people to update their address books to your new email address.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

And you've indirectly hit the problem on the head because it had changed and is no longer meant for a Mac user but for an iPhone user- big difference.

How so?

For me, the only iPhone use I have is with mail forwarding from Gmail so I can get Push to my iPhone. I don't use calendars and am I'm fine with contacts and bookmarks updated when I plug the phone in.

iPhoto publishing is several steps quicker than using Flickr. Time Machine has made the Settings storage a bit obsolete, unless all my equipment gets stolen and Back To My Mac is a useful feature that I use often.