Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 314
    Where is push notifcation support?
  • Reply 22 of 314
    Ok... how about some real useful info huh!?

I'm installing now... current state of my iPhone is:

- all third-party apps crash on launch

- iTunes reports all my music is there and synched... iPhone says "nope. no music"

I got tired of trying to fix this, as most of my backups are also hosed.

I've removed from the iPhone most of the apps (down to about 20...)

Let's see if it fixes everything outright... or if I need to restore from scratch

(Hey how about synching NOTES! )

-- update in awhile...

-jason
  • Reply 23 of 314
    app syncs are still turtle slow compared to music syncs. Why can I transfer 4 gigs of music quicker than 250mb of apps on the iphone?
  • Reply 24 of 314
    Faster overall. Possible to scroll webpages while they load. Faster loading times for web pages. Had no problem with reception before so I haven't tried it. Updating applications keeps the icon in place (and seems faster).

Remaining problems:

- Contact application still takes alot of time at startup before letting me scroll the list.

- Swedish word corrector still very buggy, many words get extremely weird suggestions and it does not seem to learn very well either. Well, hopefully they have received my bug report....
  • Reply 25 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plumber4549 View Post

Overall the firmware seems faster, But I just dont get why apple wont do little thing to make people happy how hard would it be for landscape texting and mms!

Are you sure you want MMS? Really really really sure?

I mean, if everyone had a phone that could display pictures in e-mail (or their Facebook app), why would we need it in the first place? Then we could just e-mail them to people, regardless of whether or not they're on a phone or a computer, and be sure they can receive them. Better yet, we wouldn't have to pay the freakin' carrier $4.99 for the privilege!

I realize old standards die hard, but let's do all we can to kill this one.

Maury
  • Reply 26 of 314
    This update was available before 7 AM. The iPhone 2.1 Software Update is 231.00 MB.

Changes in iTunes after update:

NEW capacity bar category in iTunes: Apps (Green)

iPhone 2.1 Software Update: [ Installation Guide ]
  • Reply 27 of 314
    Battery life? Battery life? Battery life?

Maury
  • Reply 28 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

app syncs are still turtle slow compared to music syncs. Why can I transfer 4 gigs of music quicker than 250mb of apps on the iphone?

Because music is just a bunch of files that are able to be accessed, the apps are actually getting installed and becoming part of the operating system. I agree, it should still not be THIS slow, but there is still a lot more going on when you install apps than a simple file transfer.
  • Reply 29 of 314
    Phone is definitely more responsive. Contact list comes up nice and quick. Backups are also much faster now and that is one thing I was really looking for in this update. Wow, Safari is really responsive. Gmail comes up alot quicker now, did they improve the javascript engine? Never really had a problem with 3G here in Atlanta so can't tell if calls are better. Will have to play some more.
  • Reply 30 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Battery life? Battery life? Battery life?

Maury

You'll have to wait a day or two before anybody can tell you about the battery life "improvements".
  • Reply 31 of 314
    Well The Bugs Seem To Be Fixed! So let's start complaining about something else like it stops my toaster from toasting my bread just right...lol. Kudos Apple!

What will be nice is when Push is put through and a few other little apps come along that will make life a little easier like voice recognition, GPS turn by turn commands just to mention a couple. I am sure it won't be long before Apple comes out with those.

And by the way, for all you idiots who say iPhone users are lab rats for Apple, You must have short term memory. Microsoft has been doing it for over a decade and are still doing it with Vista.

Now that Preaches
  • Reply 32 of 314
    Hopefully the iPhone version won't have the Standby battery drain issue the touch currently has.
  • Reply 33 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Damn, now i want some ginger snaps.

Must go to shops..

Just taking a sip of schnapps while downloading v2.1
  • Reply 34 of 314
    I don't understand the feedback being given about the Contacts application lag. Is it still there or not? Some say it is, some some it isn't. That doesn't make sense (it's even mentioned in the features list). So how is it really?!
  • Reply 35 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jparker View Post

Ok... how about some real useful info huh!?

Let's see if it fixes everything outright... or if I need to restore from scratch

(Hey how about synching NOTES! )

-- update in awhile...

-jason

Well OK!

Install went flawlessly.

First check: Music. CHECK!

It's all there - no re-synching... (DRM wrapper stuff fixed...? If that was the problem)

Second check: Apps. CHECK!

removem worked fine.

GoSkyWatch worked FINE.

OK! It has been a rough few months... but this bodes very well!

(btw - I'm on a first gen iPhone)
  • Reply 36 of 314
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

Possible to scroll webpages while they load.

You could scroll while loading in 2.0.1 -- just checked.

K
  • Reply 37 of 314
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jego View Post

Hopefully the iPhone version won't have the Standby battery drain issue the touch currently has.

What is the issue?
  • Reply 38 of 314
    Just installed 2.1 but cant find the genius function. Any clues?
  • Reply 39 of 314
    Wow. Look at all those surprises in there.
  • Reply 40 of 314
    is it me? or is the iPod on the iPhone 2.1 lacking Genius?