Review: Apple's fourth-generation iPod nano

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Well GPS function could be added, what you need to do is similar to what Nike did, make a RF receiver that contains SirfIII GPS chip and it will send the positioning data to the Touch or iPhone through RF

Of course you need to make a map plotter software that doesnt require Google Maps.

I like the new Nano looks but like some other user posted, the fatboy nano is actually very comfortable to use but because of the shiny scratch able surface it caused me to put ugly protective film or cover it with silicon cover. I wonder if Apple would be able to offer a shiny back surface that wont scratch easily (as in normal use).
  • Reply 22 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    personally I think Apple did a nice job updating nano and this review reflects that. Really the only disappointment is the price. For a straight forward MP3 player it is very well done.

I really wish I could say the same about Touch. There they blew the capacity issue which is important to many. Plus installing BluTooth capable hardware and then not implementing it just fans the flames of disgust.

Dave
  • Reply 23 of 63
    The new screen looks great, but I'm not crazy about having to turn it sideways, nor about the controls being oriented different from the picture. It's a nice unit but frankly I like the configuration of the "fatty" better.

So with the genius feature, is there a way to turn off the sidebar? I mean turning off the sidebar (which just wastes space on my machine) but still use the genius feature to create playlists?

Also, is there any way to provide feedback to improve genius results? The first time I tried it I picked a recent "alternative" song - some of the results made sense but it also picked things like Hound Dog by Elvis.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Plus installing BluTooth capable hardware and then not implementing it just fans the flames of disgust.

I am disappointed apple hasn't offered the option of wireless syncing on either model. It would be particularly useful for people who listen to things like podcasts, especially ones that are updated often.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:

personally I think Apple did a nice job updating nano and this review reflects that. Really the only disappointment is the price. For a straight forward MP3 player it is very well done.

I really wish I could say the same about Touch. There they blew the capacity issue which is important to many. Plus installing BluTooth capable hardware and then not implementing it just fans the flames of disgust.

1) What is wrong with the price of the Nano? They doubled the capacity and added some nice HW and SW features.

2) How did they blow the capacity in the Touch? The 32GB was just released earlier this year and 64GB is still prohibitively expensive. I'm not even sure it will be an option for the refresh in early 2009.

3) They did include Nike+ in the Touch. Apple says it's not 802.11 or Bluetooth, which is correct since it's proprietary, but it uses the 2.4GHz spectrum and would most closely match the low pwer, short range Bluetooth over 802.11.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I am disappointed apple hasn't offered the option of wireless syncing on either model. It would be particularly useful for people who listen to things like podcasts, especially ones that are updated often.

I'm not a fan of wireless media syncing as a general rule, but for podcasts it does make sense. I understand Apple's take on not allowing it over the carrier's network, but offering it over WiFi would be nice, as well as having giving you an option to enable the Push service so you know when a new one is available.

PS: Since Apple isn't allowing it, there may be a market for a website that will allow you to import your podcast list from iTunes on to their site and then send you an email of SMS to your iPhone letting you know you have a new podcast from 'whomever'. Then you could access the site and listen/view it there.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

I'm personally unimpressed with the 4G nano. Its the first time its not significantly better than the previous generation.

For all the joking about the fatboy, its extremely comfortable to hold and use. The 3G nano feels tiny but has a BIGGER screen than the 4G. I don't see that anything significant has been added to the 4G. Double the memory is about it, and a simple price drop could have accomplished that.

I think Apple is thinking fashion to much and too the fatboy criticism too seriously and didn't realize people liked it just fine after it was released.

I also like that the 3G nano is smooth and rounded all over, where as noted the 4G has rough sharp edges at the top and bottom. Seems that they could have smoothed that down some. I'd be tempted to break out the sandpaper.

The 3G screen is the same size as the 4G screen, it is not BIGGER.

The screen is actually the same screen just rotated.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:

The new screen looks great, but I'm not crazy about having to turn it sideways, nor about the controls being oriented different from the picture. It's a nice unit but frankly I like the configuration of the "fatty" better.

So with the genius feature, is there a way to turn off the sidebar? I mean turning off the sidebar (which just wastes space on my machine) but still use the genius feature to create playlists?

Also, is there any way to provide feedback to improve genius results? The first time I tried it I picked a recent "alternative" song - some of the results made sense but it also picked things like Hound Dog by Elvis.

Yes you can turn off the Genius Side bar and the Genius playlist creation still works.

These two features are not linked in any way - which is not the impression the article gave at all.

Just turn off the side bar by clicking the small icon in the lower right hand side of the iTunes window. You then have the great playlist creation feature and are not 'sold' to by the store unless you want it (you can turn it back on with the same icon).

As for the stupid comment about 'doubling the memory at the same price' - well that IS exactly the same as dropping the price!!!
  • Reply 28 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

How would you get GPS apps to work efficiently?

When I keep hearing questions, like the above on the various forums, I really have to wonder if people have any idea at all as to what GPS is?

Quote:

Without 3G or Wi-Fi, you would need a larger antenna, open to the sky and a data base of usable maps. Otherwise, reception would be spotty and you won't have access to Google maps.

I'm not sure where this falicy about the antenna size comes from. The GPS antenna in the iPhone works really well. Sure it helps to have a clear sight on the sky after all that is where the satilites are. But let's face it Cell and WiFi signals do get blocked by dense buildings so what is the point in relying on those services? That doesn't even include simply being out of range of a cell tower.

As to google maps and their requirement to be always on - screw them. There are already apps on the app store that address this. There are apps for position data and marine navigation. From all appearances there are many more to come.

There seems to be an impression, with city boys, that the whole reason for GPS is to help them find the next Starbucks location. I don't want to bust any bubbles here but that is not what GPS is all about. Frankly many of us have never been in a Starbucks.

Dave
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:

The GPS antenna in the iPhone works really well.

I've been wanting to test this but I can't help but be in cell range everywhere I travel. How long did it take get your initial position? Did the long and lat accurately follow your position? What is the worst weather condition that you tested it in (because antenna and power do matter)? What App Store app did you use to get a visible location?
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

Click the arrow in the bottom right of the iTunes window and the Genius sidebar disappears.

ITunes gives feedback automatically if I understand the feature correctly. You can always update Genius under the Store item in the menu bar. I think if we do this once a month, Genius will get smarter and smarter as Steve said in the Keynote.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Click the arrow in the bottom right of the iTunes window and the Genius sidebar disappears.

ITunes gives feedback automatically if I understand the feature correctly. You can always update Genius under the Store item in the menu bar. I think if we do this once a month, Genius will get smarter and smarter as Steve said in the Keynote.

Thanks for the info on hiding the bar.

How does iTunes get the feedback? If I have a genius playlist with some terrible choices, how does it know I don't think those match? If I delete songs from that genius playlist, does iTunes send that info back to the server?
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:

How does iTunes get the feedback? If I have a genius playlist with some terrible choices, how does it know I don't think those match? If I delete songs from that genius playlist, does iTunes send that info back to the server?

iTunes isn't recording your Genius playlists. It's recording your entire library and the songs you play the most. It's probably also recording your user made playlists since those do have info as to what you group together, but none of that is being sent to the iTS Genius servers unless you specifically tell it to. They certainly are using the info you send them for future marketing purposes, but it's not a Big Brother setup that is constantly monitoring what you listen to. If Clippy ever pops up asking you if it can help you create a new playlist then you might to watch out.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I think podcasts are the one really good reason to have that, most of the other arguments for it aren't all that strong in my opinion. Most podcasts don't update more than once a week, but there might be an update in the middle of the day, and I could fetch it over WiFi and listen to it within minutes rather than wait until the next day to listen to it. It's a shame that Apple didn't want to offer it, and they didn't want anyone else to make a program to do it.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Any way to make the genius logo disappear from an iPhone playlist and playhead scrubber bar? It seems that the iPhone should know that I declined to use Genius and not waste any screen space with branding not relevant to me.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think podcasts are the one really good reason to have that, there might be an update in the middle of the day, and I could fetch it over WiFi. It's a shame that Apple didn't want to offer it, and they didn't want anyone else to make a program to do it.

I think Apple would allow a simple App Store app that used the Push service to inform you that a new Podcast in your list has been made available. Since it's not DLing the app, notifying you that it's available I don't see this violating the SDK in any way.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Apple would allow a simple App Store app that used the Push service to inform you that a new Podcast in your list has been made available. Since it's not DLing the app, notifying you that it's available I don't see this violating the SDK in any way.

I really haven't looked very deeply in the brouhaha, but supposedly the Podcast app didn't violate the stated terms of the app store.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

iTunes isn't recording your Genius playlists. It's recording your entire library and the songs you play the most. It's probably also recording your user made playlists since those do have info as to what you group together, but none of that is being sent to the iTS Genius servers unless you specifically tell it to. They certainly are using the info you send them for future marketing purposes, but it's not a Big Brother setup that is constantly monitoring what you listen to. If Clippy ever pops up asking you if it can help you create a new playlist then you might to watch out.

If that's the case, I'm skeptical about how much the odd picks will improve. Personally I'm more interested in the genius choices getting better and I don't really care what info they analyze - it's not like they're going to find out anything personal about me from the songs I listen to.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really haven't looked very deeply in the brouhaha, but supposedly the Podcast app didn't violate the stated terms of the app store.

Check out this post from Abster2Core.
    As I stated in a previous post, a website that grabbed your podcasts list from iTunes, and sent you and email/SMS when it was updated, and let you play them in the browser as a streaming file would work as Apple or the carrier has no legal way of blocking this.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This explains why Apple's forthcoming mic-equipped headphones are not listed as compatible with the iPhone; the iPhone wasn't designed to respond to triple clicking. The new headphones will handle this for you by sending a triple click to navigate. All this clicking is communicated over the mic conductor, which adds another wire between the iPod and the headphones.

My 1st gen iPhone responds to triple clicks with the 2.1 software update. I just hope it supports the volume up/down feature as well.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

My 1st gen iPhone responds to triple clicks with the 2.1 software update. I just hope it supports the volume up/down feature as well.

Yep - my 3G iPhone has gained this ability with the 2.1 software too