Apple co-founder believes iPod has about run its course

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The death of the watch has been greatly exaggerated. A watch is a far more reliable piece of technology than a cell phone.

I find it depends on the age bracket. I don't know many people under 30 or 40 that wear a watch, and most of them wear it as jewellery, not to tell time. Woz's watch is a good example, my best friend has the same one (the binary one), and it's more of a conversation piece, or a "show off" piece than it is to tell time.

Almost everyone over 50 or 55 wears a watch in my experience though.

What does that tell ya?
  • Reply 22 of 145
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There is no way that the iPod will 'run its course' -- just as television sets or automobiles or sunglasses will not -- but rather, it'll evolve, get better, and perhaps be integrated with a whole lot of things that we use (e.g., car, TV, sunglasses, perhaps even a watch) . It may or may not be Apple that makes it happen (although, I'll place my bets that Apple will be in the space with whatever emerges, and will make it look/work better), but there is little doubt that a portable music-playing object (standalone or not) will exist for a long time. And Apple certainly has a head start in pushing the iPod's boundaries along these lines (iPhone, Nike, @TV.....).

Woz sure sounds like he does not hold any Apple stock any more (Hint: It might be a good time to buy, Woz!).

careful; bit of a false analogy there.

Yes cars are still around. But are Novas still around? (i'm not much of a car guy, i'm sure there are better examples).

the iPod is an Digital Media Player, which will be around for a while. Woz might be saying that "iPod" digital media players might die out (I think he's probably wrong, at least in the near future)

OR

(like other people are saying) iPods need to change/adapt etc. (perhaps more so than the classic/nano have done recently, as they look fairly similar to 2 years + ago.

After all, the Corvette is still around, it just looks (and drives) different throughout the years.
  • Reply 23 of 145
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

The death of the watch has been greatly exaggerated. A watch is a far more reliable piece of technology than a cell phone.

Yeah and that's what people once said of the slide rule and before that the abacus.
  • Reply 24 of 145
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    I've always thought of Woz as a quiet storm. Kind of the back up guy to SJ. If he says these things they truly must have merit.

Next Big Things at our favorite fruit company. The iCortex

Embedded Brain Chips...eliminates the need for a physical device altogether.

Taps right into all of your sensory inputs.....
  • Reply 25 of 145
    And, as usual, he's clueless.

Sorry, The Other Steve, but this is as true now as it was when I originally wrote it.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    Just as a clarification: the "iWatch" example wasn't literal. The point Woz was trying to make is that it's seemingly difficult to predict what the consumers will line up for next--and that it could be anything. Not that the "iWatch" was a good idea.

At least, that's how I took it.
  • Reply 27 of 145
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    I like Woz but come on does he always got to throw something negative about Apple everytime he talks about it, sure the original ipods will die out but the touch will take it's place, just look at best buy.com for example, the 3 best selling MP3s are all iPod touch and are all sold out
  • Reply 28 of 145
    lictorlictor Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

As long as people want to carry around their music, they will be using an iPod.

Carrying around music is becoming quickly obsolete... With 3G+ available everywhere, one would you need to carry something on limited storage while you could just as easily grad it over the air as you need it?

Actually, why would you bother with owning music when you can just stream content for free from platforms like Pandora or Deezer? And why limit yourself to music when TV shows are the big thing?
  • Reply 29 of 145
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Alright, a bitter Woz.

Why does everyobody keep listening to him? He hasn't done one great thing in decades! Alright, he made the original Mac, but so what does that change? Of course now that he works at Google, he's going to pitch the Android as the most innovative and open and free platform in the universe. But seriously, he's totally not relevant these days. Jobs on the other hand is extremely relevant.

Second, Apple is in the business of making money and they also happen to posess a certain sense of style. So if they find out that there's a huge market for iWatches then there's gonna be an iWatch, plain and simple. Religion is just a side-effect, it's not relevant to Apple these days. Most of Apple products users are just that - ordinary users.
  • Reply 30 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

careful; bit of a false analogy there....

the iPod is an Digital Media Player, which will be around for a while. .....

OR....(like other people are saying) iPods need to change/adapt etc......

After all, the Corvette is still around, it just looks (and drives) different throughout the years.

I guess you must have completely missed the fact that I was saying the same thing -- I am sure I could have said it better.
  • Reply 31 of 145
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Woz = Sour Grapes. Here's a parallel: Bill Gates and Paul Allen. Paul Allen went his own way and has an impressive body of work since his days clocking in at Microsoft. He doesn't get Bill's spotlight, but he doesn't want it either.

Woz is more like the awkward brother or uncle who embarrasses everyone at the wedding. I haven't read tons about Woz, but from what I've seen he's something of a man-child who revels in cutting steak with a metal credit card, a sad attempt to impress flight attendants. Do I admire his accomplishments? Absolutely. Is he ruining his image with his negativity? Definitely.

For those who don't know, Woz crashed an airplane he wasn't qualified to fly, and suffered from amnesia. A brain injury could explain some of his offbeat behavior. Personally, I suspect it's mostly jealousy of Steve Jobs and his celebrated cool-guy image.

As for the iPod: Mine took a giant leap forward over the summer when I could control my Apple TV with it. With the App Store and location-based apps it's hard to tell what iPods will be able to do next. My iPod has me hooked on podcasts. I can keep my laptop closed more often now, thanks to mobile Safari. I can check on my kids via a wireless web cam - on my iPod!

I don't think the iPod is done. But maybe Woz is.
  • Reply 32 of 145
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treestman View Post

And, as usual, he's clueless.

Sorry, The Other Steve, but this is as true now as it was when I originally wrote it.

Well he and a previous Apple CEO started a company name Jazz that didn't do to good, so am not sure if the guy can be taken to seriously, i mean they flush about 50 million of shareholders money down the toilet
  • Reply 33 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I don't think anyone really contests their reliability. But from what I've seen, the purpose of the watch seems to have moved a lot more towards the side of a fashion accessory than its function.
  • Reply 34 of 145
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's worth noting that Wozniak actually says nothing of the sort in the article.

One could certainly imply from his statements that he believes something to that effect, or that he believes that the iPod is *approaching* that status, or will inevitably *achieve* that status, but he does not actually say anywhere that this is the case with the iPod today.

He actually just says something rather obvious. That all products have cycles of popularity or their "time at the top" and that the iPod is no exception. He further says that the iPod has reached a sort of level of ubiquitousness, but doesn't comment on when or if the decline will take place.

This is why journalists go to school and bloggers are not journalists.

Virgil,

These are the direct quotes from Woz:

"The iPod has sort of lived a long life at number one. Things like, that if you look back to transistor radios and Walkmans, they kind of die out after a while. It's kind of like everyone has got one or two or three. You get to a point when they are on display everywhere, they get real cheap and they are not selling as much."

Best,

K
  • Reply 35 of 145
    Anyone ever hear about anything else The Woz says if it isn't about Apple??????

And does this guy even work any more? I'd say he's about as "In Touch" with the marketplace as my cat is concerned about what's on TV.

I'm sorry.... Woz is a "has been"..... while Jobs is still "In"......

I couldn't give a crap about anything coming out of that guys mouth.

I'd like to carry forward the motion that "The Woz"..... now be called.... "The Waz"....

Would anyone like to second it?

Z

P.S.... and didn't Balmer also "Squirt off" something similar to what this dinosaur just said???
  • Reply 36 of 145
    While I thank Steve Wozniak for helping to start Apple, I really wish he would shut up. I don't think that he says anything really useful these days.
  • Reply 37 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Anyone ever hear about anything else The Woz says if it isn't about Apple??????

And does this guy even work any more? I'd say he's about as "In Touch" with the marketplace as my cat is concerned about what's on TV.

I'm sorry.... Woz is a "has been"..... while Jobs is still "In"......

I couldn't give a crap about anything coming out of that guys mouth.

I'd like to carry forward the motion that "The Woz"..... now be called.... "The Waz"....

Would anyone like to second it?

Z

P.S.... and didn't Balmer also "Squirt off" something similar to what this dinosaur just said???

I almost made the same point but you were a little meaner

You're right. Wozniak is sort of a has been.
  • Reply 38 of 145
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Woz sounds like he is self medicating. Completely off in left field. Great spelling and grammar in this article BTW

Yeah, everyone who speaks the truth and doesn't just parrot company marketingspeak must be self-medicating.

I can't see one thing that was even slightly off the mark in what he said. Web 2.0 remark was especially on the money. The iWatch thing was obviously a joke or a throw away line.
  • Reply 39 of 145
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Why that's really great for him to make that statement as the stock market keeps declining.

Are we sure it wasn't Ballmer in his Halloween costume?
  • Reply 40 of 145
    Woz is wrong on several points.

First the iPods days are not numbered. One of the great things about the iPod is its name. The name is generic in way that allows it to keep reinventing itself. While the iPod was first an MP3 player, it has morphed into a more general purpose computing device. When does Woz perceive that we will stop using handheld computers? The answer is probably never. The iPod will continue to become 1-more powerful, 2-more affordable and 3-more ubiquitous.

Next, Woz equates Apple with a religion that does not allow it's followers to challenge it. This is why Woz is Woz and Jobs is Jobs. Woz was a great inventor...Jobs is a great businessman. Woz doesn't understand business(ever hear of CL 9 or Wheels of Zeus?). Apple is not a religion it is a corporation in the business of making money. The only business Woz is good at is being curmudgeon and that ain't paying to well.

Lastly, he is considering naming his child "Zowoz". The brilliant idea of a man who has been married four times. Steve is good with technology, but not so good at understanding people. Woz is known for his practical jokes and pranks. In some ways he is a child in a man's body.