Unibody MacBook Pro: an in-depth review with video

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sculley View Post

Clarification... The two pages with video cut off right after the video portion - there are no links or text. I'm on a work PC running XP and IE.

I have the same issue with IE. And I imagine that sculley has the same problem that I do: not allowed to install programs (i.e., Firefox) at work.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I visited a reseller to get a look at one of these.

Two observations:

1. I really like the new trackpad. I got used to it in a few minutes and found it much more intuitive, although it meant I had to hover my hand while using it. I'm sure it's possible to resolve that kind of ergonomic problem.

2. The security lock latch is really a brilliant innovation. That's the kind of clever thinking that one expects from Jonny Ive. I don't know anyone who removed a battery or hard drive from a laptop that was lying around, but that kind of security is always good.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc

I really like the new trackpad. I got used to it in a few minutes and found it much more intuitive, although it meant I had to hover my hand while using it. I'm sure it's possible to resolve that kind of ergonomic problem.

Phew! I was a little worried about the trackpad. Why did you have to hover your hand?
  • Reply 24 of 87
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sculley View Post

Clarification... The two pages with video cut off right after the video portion - there are no links or text. I'm on a work PC running XP and IE.

Thank you sooo much, Sculley. I think we left the Object tags open. It's fixed for me now. How about you?

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 25 of 87
    Just to chime in: I've owned one of the new Pros for a week now and, personally, not only did the trackpad not take much getting used to, but it's become one of my favorite things about the machine. I find that my hand rests on it in exactly the same manner as on my old PowerBook and my thumb sits exactly where the click button used to be - so when I press to click, the hand-feel is almost identical. I barely notice the separate button's gone, in other words.

I agree with the review article on practically every point except that I haven't had the issues with the trackpad they seem to have had.

Also: first post. Hi everyone!
  • Reply 26 of 87
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Being circumspect with a laptop is always a good idea. Moiling around can cause unintended damage to the more sensitive parts though.

Damn. I changed it at the last minute...

Guess I should have left well enough alone!

Still, any word on how vulnerable the glass is to damage?
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Thank you sooo much, Sculley. I think we left the Object tags open. It's fixed for me now. How about you?

Best,

Kasper

No problem. Best. Reviews. Ever.

edit: yes it is fixed.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post

Just to chime in: I've owned one of the new Pros for a week now and, personally, not only did the trackpad not take much getting used to, but it's become one of my favorite things about the machine. I find that my hand rests on it in exactly the same manner as on my old PowerBook and my thumb sits exactly where the click button used to be - so when I press to click, the hand-feel is almost identical. I barely notice the separate button's gone, in other words.

I agree with the review article on practically every point except that I haven't had the issues with the trackpad they seem to have had.

Thanks for the reassurance.
  • Reply 29 of 87
    fstopfstop Posts: 10member
    Given the 35W of the 2.8 GHz processor vs the 25W of the slower ones, is it reasonable to expect that the battery life of the 2.8 GHz will be substantially (40%) less?
  • Reply 30 of 87
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Phew! I was a little worried about the trackpad. Why did you have to hover your hand?

I was standing when I used it. I think I was just not used to the size, actually, since my PB has a much smaller trackpad.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    This was a good in depth review.

The thought that was put into the design of the MB and MBP was shown in how the battery and internal components are protected when a laptop lock is used.

Nice job Apple and nice job DED in pointing this out. To my knowledge no other reviewer has mentioned this.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soybean View Post

I have the same issue with IE. And I imagine that sculley has the same problem that I do: not allowed to install programs (i.e., Firefox) at work.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
  • Reply 33 of 87
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post

Welcome aboard, Scruffy.
  • Reply 34 of 87
    There's a lot of comedy in this review LOL.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Welcome aboard, Scruffy.

Comb your hair Scruffy!
  • Reply 36 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In the future, it seems likely that the trackpad could be replaced entirely by a secondary LCD panel that provides immediate visual feedback on the options available, enabling more options to be presented at once.

Could. Not would.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    Hello Chaps,

Great review of the MacBook Pro, just wondering if and when you intend to do one for the MacBook as I'm trying to decide between the models before the free Ipod Nano offer runs out on the 31st October (in the UK).

Thanks very much,

Robert
  • Reply 38 of 87
    Quote:

The new models apparently provide no support for audio over a Mini DisplayPort cable (as can be supported in the specification)

Do we know this to be true? I didn't see an audio cable on the new monitor.
  • Reply 39 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Scherer View Post

There's another possible consideration regarding the extra glare. Reflectivity of a surface depends on it's refractive index relative to air. The higher the miss-match, the greater the reflections. Air is 1.00, polycarbonate is about 1.6, glass can be anything from 1.5 to 2.0. Antireflective coatings work by putting intermediate index layers between the air and the glass.

High hardness materials tend to have higher refractive indices. For instance sapphire is 1.8, diamond is 2.4. So it's possible that Apple chose higher hardness coatings for improved scratch resistance and this has lead to a more reflective surface. Just a thought.

There are good anti-reflective treatments that have good scratch resistance. I don't know what they would cost though. Scratch resistance doesn't seem to be necessary. I have several gloss CRTs with that sort of anti-reflective treatment, the treatment lasts better than a half-decade.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpiceWare View Post

Do we know this to be true? I didn't see an audio cable on the new monitor.

It could be a USB audio device attached to the internal hub.