Tips for shopping at an Apple Retail store...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all!

The savvy shopper knows never to pay full retail price for common electrical goods such as TVs and dishwashers, by either getting discount or free things thrown in. When I tried some tactics I've learned at the Apple Store, I came up blank, being stonewalled by the Apple employees.

Does anyone know any inside information, particular ways of approaching Apple retail store employees, or is it Apple policy not to haggle?

Cheers

Jan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I know they give something like a 6% discount to certain corporate "partners"... if you can show that you are an employee of one of those corporations to Apple's satisfaction.

Members of the US Military also.

I don't know if they apply to 3rd party stuff or only Apple branded items.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I have also heard that the sales staff are not on commission... is this true?

Cheers

Jan
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

I have also heard that the sales staff are not on commission... is this true?

I've asked the salespeople, and they tell me they're not on commission. So I've no reason not to believe them.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I've asked the salespeople, and they tell me they're not on commission. So I've no reason not to believe them.

I used to work at an Apple Store and can tell you that no one at Apple Retail works on commission. either that or someone owes me some money!

As far as discounts go, there are the corporate discounts previously mentioned, educational discounts (teacher of K-12 or teacher/student of >12), and employee discounts.

That, my friends, is it.

Oh, don't forget to call your local Apple Retail Store to ask about "Fire Sales" where they try to sell through opened/returned products (always returned within 14 days, but can't be sold as "new") or previous gen products all at discounted rates.

Other than that, happy shopping!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yeah, all information points to the fact that the official Apple Retail Stores sales people are not on commission.

Check out Apple online store refurbs...?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I used to work at an Apple Store and can tell you that no one at Apple Retail works on commission. either that or someone owes me some money!

As far as discounts go, there are the corporate discounts previously mentioned, educational discounts (teacher of K-12 or teacher/student of >12), and employee discounts.

That, my friends, is it.

Oh, don't forget to call your local Apple Retail Store to ask about "Fire Sales" where they try to sell through opened/returned products (always returned within 14 days, but can't be sold as "new") or previous gen products all at discounted rates.

Other than that, happy shopping!

So it's not worth even trying to haggle?

Cheers

Jan
  • Reply 7 of 12
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

So it's not worth even trying to haggle?

Cheers

Jan

Welcome to the Apple sales industry ... where haggling is bad taste. . Just get ready to go ooh and aah, look at the shiny stuff, and before you know it, your credit card will be a bag of hurt.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Welcome to the Apple sales industry ... where haggling is bad taste. . Just get ready to go ooh and aah, look at the shiny stuff, and before you know it, your credit card will be a bag of hurt.

hah, I thought as much. I was kind of secretly hoping there no way to haggle, otherwise I would be seething over my earlier purchase of a Mac at the RRP I will try my best when I get to an Apple store at the end of this month, and report back on my experience

Cheers

Jan
  • Reply 9 of 12
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    If you're looking to replace your existing iPod with a new iPod purchase, many retail Apple Stores will give you up to a $50 trade-in for your old one. Call your retail Apple Store to see if they honor that deal.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I ask to see their list of open-box returns. Everything is marked down by the 10% the original buyer had to pay when they returned it as an open-box item.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    If you are shopping apple at an Apple Retail store than you are compered price in online. You are conform all component are original. You are bill as original with tin number. There are working very well of them.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Walk in

look at product

walk out