Report hints at next-gen iPhone in June

124

Comments

  • macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    Cut, Copy, Paste

    Spotlight - Global

    Memos/Notes Syncing with Mac, without Web workaround sites

    Video Recording

    Better Still Camera with a Flash?

    Flash or similar for YouTube

    Video AOL or and Skype Chat

    32GB minimum storage

    Voice and Video Conferencing over IP

    Faster CPU

    More Disk space

    Longer Battery
  • successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post


    Snaps to that!



    apparently you're the only person here with a sense of humor
  • mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Ideal hardware updates would be 2 years after the previous generation's release (every year if you include minor updates every other release). Contracts currently lock people in for 2 years and most people will not buy a new phone without the carrier subsidy.



    At some point the operating system has to be limited to only the next major hardware release or else the platform will never go anywhere.



    "Problems" arise in the year where both the previous generation, minor hardware update phones and the major product introduction phones exist. Developers may be lured to develop for the fancy new hardware leading to a decline in quality apps for the prior generation users, who are stuck with their phones for another year. The other issue would be backwards compatibility / "abandonware", unsupported apps which would remain in the app store but would not work on any of the current software / hardware. This problem is caused in part by the lack of true open source support through the app store.
  • The same reliable source that suggested Obama took a US$30m boost to endorse BlackBerry? http://stuffmiddleeast.wordpress.com...e-uae-in-june/
  • gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post


    I mean, expectations are pretty high at the moment. I think even if Apple came out with a device that was pretty spectacular, it might still not meet the expectations of the fanboys!



    In a way, I think this must be one of the reasons for Apple to distance itself from the fanboy crowd (by moves like getting out of Macworld), and be focussed on the consumer space. The fanboys today have only one role to play - that of setting the bar high for Apple, so that Apple does not slow down its innovation train just because the competition is nowhere near where Apple is. The earlier historical role of fanboys, to help the company survive, and to serve as evangelists is no longer relevant. Thankfully Apple can still wow the consumer, whether or not the fanboys get wowed.



    Arguably, Apple needs lesser hype today - it is the hype that is hurting Apple by creating phenomenal expectations - no matter what Apple announces, it cant meet the hype anymore. Remember all the talk of the $800 MacBook?



    That being said, I really hope Apple keeps coming out with products that can wow everyone, including the fanboys, even when expectations are unrealistically high.



    Your name calling skills so limited that you have to use 'fanboys' 4 times in one post?

    Perhaps check out Cyrano for a lesson in creative snarkieness.
  • notrsnotrs Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Yup they can. I've heard rumors that the AT&T contract may be 5 years.



    It's not a rumor. The exclusivity with at&t is five years. This was announced at the debut of the original iPhone.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MunkVsTheWorld View Post


    Its pretty funny to see people talking about how AT&T rule apple...



    If they want to put tethering, a front facing camera, etc etc on the Phone, they will, AT&T are irrelevant in this regard.



    AT&T is very relevant, otherwise we would already have tethering for a one time purchase of $10 for an app that was banned from the app store due to at&t's bitching.

    (As opposed to a $30 monthly fee that AT&T wants to charge.)





    Having said all that... Apple has been known in the past to say a giant "screw you" to companies they held contracts with. *cough* clone developers *cough*



    What would really be insanely great (yes I said it) is if Apple announced an MVNO with airtime available for purchase via the iTunes store. Something like $35/month for unlimited data while minutes and messaging are sold by packs or per usage that can roll over. (non-contract)



    I know it won't happen, but seeing how we're all wishing here...
  • gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post


    Ideal hardware updates would be 2 years after the previous generation's release (every year if you include minor updates every other release). Contracts currently lock people in for 2 years and most people will not buy a new phone without the carrier subsidy.



    While I agree that Apple wants to keep developers on the same page, so to speak, major updates only every 2 years would be a quick death to the iPhone. This market changes so much so quickly - if they don't jump each year then they'll be ahead of the game for the first year and behind the game the next year.
  • shogunshogun Posts: 358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post


    Trapping [an iPhone case] might be good for any iPhone user who values the aesthetics of his device.







    Can you find the irony in the statement about valuing a device's aesthetics by covering it up 100% of the time?







    Your puffed up tone only makes it more hilarious!
  • browneyemcflybrowneyemcfly Posts: 1member
    It would be nice if they upgraded the 3G speeds... they are still relatively slow when it comes to downloading anything.
  • gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrownEyeMcFly View Post


    It would be nice if they upgraded the 3G speeds... they are still relatively slow when it comes to downloading anything.



    Unfortunately the bottleneck is in what the 3G network is willing to provide, not the phone. They limit what they provide.



    Sure there are technologies to double the 3G speed in the phone itself... but it's not even getting up to the current speed.
  • macarenamacarena Posts: 309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    Your name calling skills so limited that you have to use 'fanboys' 4 times in one post?

    Perhaps check out Cyrano for a lesson in creative snarkieness.



    Not name calling here - - just stating facts, that expectations in the Apple community are so high, it would be tough for Apple to meet them. The broader community on the other hand might be a lot easier to Wow...



    I am an apple fanatic myself - and am happy and proud to be one... I dont consider these terms to be derogatory. But maybe I am not clued in to some other significance of the word?
  • crowleycrowley Posts: 4,137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzy13 View Post


    So what do you think they will call this 3rd gen iPhone?



    iPhone 3g Pro? iPhone 3? iPhone 3g 2?



    Maybe they'll do what they did with the sunflower iMac G4 and just call it the "New" iPhone until the iPhone 4 supercedes it.
  • bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post


    Cut, Copy, Paste

    Spotlight - Global

    Memos/Notes Syncing with Mac, without Web workaround sites

    Video Recording

    Better Still Camera with a Flash?

    Flash or similar for YouTube

    Video AOL or and Skype Chat

    32GB minimum storage

    Voice and Video Conferencing over IP

    Faster CPU

    More Disk space

    Longer Battery



    Yeah I hope so. Looking at the pics and specs of the new Samsung i8910 Apple really need to stop faffing about and milking the present iphone. It's time for a sucessor. The Samsung has HD video capture for crying out loud.
  • fruitymacfruitymac Posts: 17member
    ..if it had bluetooth, id be sold on it.
  • tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    People keep calling these phones that are presented on paper as surpassing the iPhone. To be fair to both phones we at least need to wait until the phone is in use out in the world.



    I don't need my phone to record HD. My priority for it is to be a good communication device.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    Yeah I hope so. Looking at the pics and specs of the new Samsung i8910 Apple really need to stop faffing about and milking the present iphone. It's time for a sucessor. The Samsung has HD video capture for crying out loud.



  • nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    So what does BT2.1 offer?

    It isn't needed for

    Voice dialing or connecting to a bt keyboard



    to do voice dialing and cut/copy/paste does that require a program to run in the background??

    you would think that both are rather simple even for the simplest moble OS
  • bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    People keep calling these phones that are presented on paper as surpassing the iPhone. To be fair to both phones we at least need to wait until the phone is in use out in the world.



    I don't need my phone to record HD. My priority for it is to be a good communication device.



    And in what way are any of those other phones not good communication devices?
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    to do voice dialing and cut/copy/paste does that require a program to run in the background??

    you would think that both are rather simple even for the simplest moble OS



    It does require processes to run in order to use BT and C/P when you need it. I wouldn't classify C/P as simple. The developer of MagicPad has a nifty video that clearly explains the difficulties of C/P on the iPhone.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post


    And in what way are any of those other phones not good communication devices?



    He didn't say they weren't good communication devices. He clearly stated that we need to not look at the spec sheets to determine which is a better phone, but wait until they can be used before making any such determination.
  • macxpressmacxpress Posts: 1,685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    People keep calling these phones that are presented on paper as surpassing the iPhone. To be fair to both phones we at least need to wait until the phone is in use out in the world.



    I don't need my phone to record HD. My priority for it is to be a good communication device.



    IMO, thats the problem with the iPhone. Its really good at everything it does, except making calls. Go figure! I'd say, tone down on features and focus on quality of doing what its supposed to be first, a phone.
  • gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


    IMO, thats the problem with the iPhone. Its really good at everything it does, except making calls. Go figure! I'd say, tone down on features and focus on quality of doing what its supposed to be first, a phone.



    I don't consider the phone to be the first thing I want. I want the other things it does.... and it removes the need for me to carry a phone as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.