iPhone owns 51% of US smartphone traffic

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AdMob's January traffic analysis credits Apple with a majority share of the American smartphone market and notes the iPod touch is rapidly gaining ground as well.



The ad company's latest Mobile Metrics report, which tracks handheld web traffic based on served banner and text ads, gives the iPhone a majority 51 percent share of smartphone requests handled in the United States despite the Apple device's official limitation to a single carrier.



In view of the entire U.S. handset market, of which smartphones represent a smaller growing sector, Apple devices left their competitors behind and trumped Motorola by almost 10 percent.



The iPhone maker was the only firm to post a percentage gain greater than a half-point, and ultimately saw 6 percent growth where most stayed near-flat or declined. A breakdown by each particular device shows the iPhone making almost 17 percent of all mobile web requests in the United States, while the iPod touch requested a still-large 12.3 percent.



That means the iPod touch, likely reflecting the holiday season's record sales of iPods, upped its market share by 5.2 percent in January, besting all others by almost 5 percentage points.



Apple's 18.3 percent of worldwide ad requests by company came in second to Nokia's 30.1 percent. However, the number is more a product of the large range of models sold by the Finnish manufacturer, which claims 9 different units on the leaderboard. When individual models from all makers compete against one another, the Nokia advantage is split nine different ways, allowing the iPhone and iPod touch to more easily come in first and second respectively.



The closest competitor is Motorola's veteran RAZR V3, whose three percent of worldwide traffic was a fraction of that for both the iPhone (11 percent) and iPod touch (7.4 percent). The Nokia N70 was fourth, at 2.5 percent.



Again limiting attention to smartphones alone, the iPhone has already grabbed nearly a third of the worldwide smartphone market at 32 percent. This comes as its international rollout is still underway and not yet completed, while Motorola and Nokia already have much larger distribution.
«1

Comments

  • ivladivlad Posts: 730member
    Woot, Apple takes 2 years to own the Smartphone business.
  • rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    ...gives the iPhone a majority 51 percent share of smartphone requests handled in the United States despite the Apple device's official limitation to a single carrier.



    51%? Does Steve Ballmer know??
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,199member
    Does Ballmer eat his crow hot or cold?
  • splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Blackberry is in a bad place... They need to get with the program.
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post


    Blackberry is in a bad place... They need to get with the program.



    Talking of RIM, RBC should confess to their interest in RIM and bias before rating AAPL and damaging share values with total crap information.
  • davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 259member
    when we really need his insightful and accurate comments?



    Oh, I am sorry. Am I being just a tad too snarky?
  • bigebige Posts: 12member
    Sweet! It's really interesting to see the various competitors continue to duke things out based on technical specs alone. This ain't about megapixels or haptic screens, it's about flexibility, ease of use, application extensibility, and a generally consistent quality of product/service. Even despite Apple's closed ecosystem and the armies of Apple haters out there, Cook and Crowd will continue to succeed in spades.
  • jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Does Ballmer eat his crow hot or cold?



    I thought everyone knows that crow is best served cold.



    I am pretty gratified that Microsoft can't just march into and clobber any market that they choose.
  • markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    um...the iPod Touch is not a smart phone. Or rather its a smart phone without a phone. I do not believe it is fair to pan Blackberry, Nokia, and Motorolla with these numbers as most of them should be cut in half.



    That said, the combine mobile devices category is still doing ok in this economy and Apples software really is ahead of the pack. Wonder if they other carriers will wise up and try and release a non-phone phone so all the kiddies who cant handle the contract can have one?
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigE View Post


    Sweet! It's really interesting to see the various competitors continue to duke things out based on technical specs alone. This ain't about megapixels or haptic screens, it's about flexibility, ease of use, application extensibility, and a generally consistent quality of product/service. Even despite Apple's closed ecosystem and the armies of Apple haters out there, Cook and Crowd will continue to succeed in spades.





    You hit it I don't care about all the tech wizardry (except voice dialing) but it's the flawless integration it's now the ecosystem that matters.
  • jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post


    um...the iPod Touch is not a smart phone. Or rather its a smart phone without a phone.



    Or a media centric PDA.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    You hit it I don't care about all the tech wizardry (except voice dialing) but it's the flawless integration it's now the ecosystem that matters.



    How can Apple add a natural feeling way to voice dial without adding anymore buttons? Or do you think that adding another button for voice dialing would be necessary?
  • jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    How can Apple add a natural feeling way to voice dial without adding anymore buttons? Or do you think that adding another button for voice dialing would be necessary?



    Maybe set double clicking the home button to mean engage voice control.
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    How can Apple add a natural feeling way to voice dial without adding anymore buttons? Or do you think that adding another button for voice dialing would be necessary?



    it doesn't require another button, the access button is on the listening device, ear pierce, or car kit.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Maybe set double clicking the home button to mean engage voice control.



    But that would mean I can't use my double-clicking of the Home button to access the iPod. I would suggest holding down the Home button, but I think that is an odd position to hold your hand if you consider one handed usage.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    it doesn't require another button, the access button is on the listening device, ear pierce, or car kit.



    Does the HW and SW have such capabilities? I think my Jawbone 2 will only turn on and off when you press and hold.
  • digiboydigiboy Posts: 27member
    iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Don't you people every get bored of talking about the iPhone?



    Apple was an interesting company before it snagged the stupid phones-are-toys-and-I'm-a-loser crowd. Please, Apple, give the phone crowd back to Motorola or whatever other generic crappy phone company. These people are giving longtime Apple users a bad rep.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiboy View Post


    iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Don't you people every get bored of talking about the iPhone?



    Apple was an interesting company before it snagged the stupid phones-are-toys-and-I'm-a-loser crowd. Please, Apple, give the phone crowd back to Motorola or whatever other generic crappy phone company. These people are giving longtime Apple users a bad rep.



    Exactly which Moto smartphone do you recommend?
  • rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Maybe set double clicking the home button to mean engage voice control.



    Nah... Let the smart people at Apple put in a similar glass/trackpad/button/combo.



    That way you can still push the button to go back to the home screen and then use the one, two, three, or four finger swipe, not to mention pinching in and pinching out and lets not forget single taps, double taps, triple taps to engage voice control and other items of necessity.



    Just a thought...



    "I am pretty gratified that Microsoft can't just march into and clobber any market that they choose."



    It seems the only 'marching" M$ has been doing lately is the ability to "march" and step in it! Even if that small pile of dung was surrounded by the greens of The Masters golf course or 100 yards of football field goodness. M$ would find it and step in it!



    "iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Don't you people every get bored of talking about the iPhone?"



    I said the same thing when the first iPod came out and then iTunes software and the ITMS. What the hell did that have to do with computers, a 3 Ghz G5 laptop, or the latest OS! But as a current sock holder, hey, if the iPhone is making money for Apple's bottom line and increasing the value of the stock I hold then I say... "iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, iPhone, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."!
  • winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    damn it Apple! You better pull out a new universally-compatible HSPA/CDMA iPhone this June! Can you guys imagine the marketshare they would get if the iPhone was available on Verizon, Sprint, and T-mobile?!?! Insane I tell you...
Sign In or Register to comment.