Apple to further polish Leopard with 10.5.7 update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Besides 10.5.7 we'll see 10.5.8 and 10.5.9 I'm sure. Snow Leopard will probably not come till the fall.

I'm fine with it being a bit late with getting Safari 4.0 beta. That will hold me over till SL.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    Isn't Snow Leopard supposed to be ready in a few months, as well?
  • Reply 23 of 76
    I for sure don't consider it to be stable and mature if they don't fix a serious regression introduced in their 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6 upgrade; they broke the Dvorak keyboard mapping for Carbon based apps: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....27196&tstart=0
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

Of the two dozen issues AI mentions in the article, I'm having specific issues with two. I've posted many time, hopefully Apple is listening.

1. Screen Sharing: SS with dual monitors, switching from one monitor to the next, using the Adaptive Quality does not work well. Once the monitor switches you have an overlay of the previous monitor. The only way to remove it is to click around. Full Quality does not have this issue, but that's only worthwhile if you are on a local network.

2. Time Machine: the random, Time Machine Could not Backup error. Seems like a lot of users have this issue, me included. It happens randomly and I cannot figure out why this happens. It normally doesn't happen while I'm on the computer, but I see when coming back.

I do also have issues with monitors not sleeping randomly, but after I exit FF, I no longer have that problem.

I hate those time machine errors.... Apple fix it
  • Reply 25 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zucht View Post

I for sure don't consider it to be stable and mature if they don't fix a serious regression introduced in their 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6 upgrade; they broke the Dvorak keyboard mapping for Carbon based apps: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....27196&tstart=0

That would be very annoying if I use that keyboard mapping. Since it is only affecting a combination of Dvorak with Carbon apps I don't see Apple working to get this fixed quickly, but assume that it would be sent out with the next point update.

At least they didn't put the kibosh on the thread you posted.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

Time Machine: the random, Time Machine Could not Backup error. Seems like a lot of users have this issue, me included. It happens randomly and I cannot figure out why this happens. It normally doesn't happen while I'm on the computer, but I see when coming back.

Apple has been pretty good with OS X to not deliver cryptic messages. You don't see some weird error number or hexademical number followed by a message. Saying that it failed with no instruction or button to figure how to prevent it from happening again is pointless.

Even having it occur after the first time it occurs is pointless. If it happens twice in a row or more than x-many times within y-many times then your backups then it should inform you of an issue... with possible solutions.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I wish when people post comments in threads like this about "this bug" and "that bug", that they actually told us specifically what bug they are talking about.

So, what is this USB bug of which you speak?

The one they "accidentally" broke iPhone DFU mode with.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    This update should be a sign of new hardware on the horizon with support for new drivers etc..

Quad core iMac capable of 8Gb ram would sort out my Aperture and PS demands.

So wasn't just me concerning the mail migration from Tiger to Leopard. I think just deleted the pref. files and the messages then appear in Mail App. But Apple should fix this bug.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Yea, yea, yea...

Who cares. Give me Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    Thank You Sir, May I Have Another?
  • Reply 31 of 76
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    The auto sleep problem is not 3rd party software. It's somehow the OS.

I have zero apps running, nothing in background running, and it still wont' auto sleep.

I've also read numerous posts about people who completely wiped and re-installed, it slept with 10.4, but breaks again with 10.5/6 update applied.

This is with nothing attached but keyboard and mouse, and no software running or any 3rd party software installed.

It affects Mac Pro's, Macbook Pro's and Macbook Air.

Even if left overnight, it still won't sleep.

It's not critical, but is a nice feature.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bauch View Post

Tough crowd. My profile also says I rarely post here. I hit reply, and it automatically quotes. I didn't realize that. Lighten up dude.

The article is about 10.5.7 and fixes... so my post is entirely relevant as well.

Yes, Virgil-TB2 could have been somewhat more tactful, but it is annoying when people quote a large amount of text for no apparent reason. The problem is that you are using the "wrong" reply button. At the bottom-right of each post is a "reply" button with blue icon - hitting this will quote that post, which is useful in a thread such as this as if you are replying to a specific post you'll want to quote at least some of it so that people know what you're replying to.

The button you want is at the bottom-left, just underneath the advert banner after the last message in the thread; marked "Post Reply" with a white "+" icon. Or you could use the "quick reply" box underneath that.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Are you using IMAP or POP? Are there any other mail clients or services (ie, gmail) also checking your mail account? If you get new email and no alert sounds, is the new mail marked as read or unread?

Thanks for the tips. I've got one IMAP and four POP accounts, and Mail is the only client I use, so a new message in Mail is always unread. There was a hint about this over at MacOSXHints, so I'm not the only one to have experienced this. Unfortunately, the suggested solution doesn't work for me. In the comments someone mentioned re-installing the 10.5.6 combo update solved the problem - I haven't tried that yet.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrsteveman1 View Post

The one they "accidentally" broke iPhone DFU mode with.

Is that an iPhone jail-breaking thing? Don't expect that to be fixed in a hurry...
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Quote:

The only problem I have with Mail is that it never plays the "new message" sound.

Maybe the sound file is corrupt.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

Maybe the sound file is corrupt.

Good thinking, but no, it's not that. When I go to Mail preferences and select a sound in the "New mail sound:" drop-down, the sound plays once (so you know what it sounds like).
  • Reply 37 of 76
    Quote:

The only problem I have with Mail is that it never plays the "new message" sound.

At home Mail checks .Mac (I refuse to use the new name that sounds like something from Redmond) and 4 separate POP accounts. It usually plays the "no mail" sound even when I have a dozen new messages. Only rarely will it play the "new mail" sound.

At work Mail checks .Mac and an IMAP account and usually plays the "new mail" sound when I have new mail.

So I think the problem is POP.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Isn't Snow Leopard supposed to be ready in a few months, as well?

So said S. Jobs last year. Since then, we have heard nothing. This may be good news, but may be bad news as well. No one knows for sure.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That would be very annoying if I use that keyboard mapping. Since it is only affecting a combination of Dvorak with Carbon apps I don't see Apple working to get this fixed quickly, but assume that it would be sent out with the next point update.

At least they didn't put the kibosh on the thread you posted.

trust me. it is annoying. so is knowing that there are only a few users out there that are being affected. i wonder how many? it didn't ever occur to me that there might be others... never expected there to be a thread on it... i'll check it out!
  • Reply 40 of 76
    I wonder what are the chances Safari 4.0 will be completed in time for 10.5.7. It'll know doubt be in Snow Leopard, but with the beta available already on so many existing platform's it's hardly a huge Snow Leopard differentiator.

I agree that Leopard will likely hit 10.5.9. 10.5.7 will probably be out by April, 10.5.8 will be the next-gen iPhone update in June/July, while 10.5.9 will come out with Snow Leopard's first update 10.6.1 with some backporting and interoperability fixes like the 10.5.1 and 10.4.11 co-release.