Apple offers fix for iMac's Radeon HD 4850 freezing issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A rare weekend software update promises to cure system freezing issues in early 2009 iMacs equipped with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics chipset.

Released on Saturday, iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4 (1.7MB) specifically addresses the hard lock-ups that occur at random and leave iMac users with the custom-order graphics with no choice but to reboot their systems to regain a usable computer, regardless of whether they're using Mac OS X or running Windows in Boot Camp.

It also mends problems owners have encountered which prevent the systems from waking properly from sleep when using Boot Camp, Apple says. The update requires Mac OS X 10.5.6 or later.

The company hasn't explained what has caused the problems, which have triggered lengthy discussions on Apple's support forums and, though producing different symptoms, have drawn parallels with an earlier ATI graphics freezing issue from 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Good luck iMac owners.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Dammit, when are they going to send out the update that fixes my external monitor misery with my new-release macbook pro on the dual-link DVI adaptor?!?!?!!!!?!!!

I can barely work.

-z (sorry to be turning into a troll, but I hate being unable to get work done with my $3K computer)
  • Reply 3 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Dammit, when are they going to send out the update that fixes my external monitor misery with my new-release macbook pro on the dual-link DVI adaptor?!?!?!!!!?!!!

I can barely work.

-z (sorry to be turning into a troll, but I hate being unable to get work done with my $3K computer)

You spent $3,000 on an iMac?
  • Reply 4 of 80
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

You spent $3,000 on an iMac?

He said Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I guess thats what you get for posting MacBook Pro shit in an iMac thread.....
  • Reply 6 of 80
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I guess thats what you get for posting MacBook Pro shit in an iMac thread.....

But of course.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    This is a normal occurance in the industry. DELL Inspirons and Latitudes we had constantly crashed for months before they finally rectified the issue with firmware and driver issues. Sometimes things slip through quality control and this was one that caused users and Apple support much headache.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Just got my new 4870 from Apple for my early 2008 MacPro. Aperture won't run. Says the card doesn't meet the min. requirements. Huh?? WTF?
  • Reply 9 of 80
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

This is a normal occurance in the industry. DELL Inspirons and Latitudes we had constantly crashed for months before they finally rectified the issue with firmware and driver issues. Sometimes things slip through quality control and this was one that caused users and Apple support much headache.

Slip quality control?

Have you seen the LCDs in the iMacs?

From the 20" to the 24" - they are worse than last year.

The ones made in January have a yellowish tinge.

The ones made in Feb/March have a blueish tinge.

The ones made in April have both issues in one panel...

The backlighting on the iMacs are just horrible.

Dust under the iMac glass too... Gotta love the Apple quality control!
  • Reply 10 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyindenver View Post

Just got my new 4870 from Apple for my early 2008 MacPro. Aperture won't run. Says the card doesn't meet the min. requirements. Huh?? WTF?

mac os x 10.5.7 has all the drivers for the card. the card really wont work until you update to 10.5.7
  • Reply 11 of 80
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Makes you wonder what exactly was causing the problem. Being an EFI update they could be adjusting any number of chips. So I hope this does not impact performance.

Not that Ive got an iMac, rather a MacBook Pro. Even that could use some driver work.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Has anyone tried this yet? It is appearing in my software update but I am extremely reluctant to install. Last time I installed a firmware fix for graphics issues was my 2008 Mac Pro, and it made the fans permanently louder from then on.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

True. My HP laptop was occasionally dropping wireless and only reboot would bring it up again. Other people were complaining about the same issue on this specific notebook.

Not a big deal as it would happen up to twice a month (in my case), and would not freeze/crash system, so I was able to save whatever I'm working at and reboot... but still.

Half a year after notebook was released (and some 4 months after I have purchased it), new drivers were released by Intel and that sorted problem.

But... beside being one of the first HP notebooks based on new Montevina platform, my notebook was also $700 one.

Maybe it's only me, but for premium product with premium price, I'd expect better testing and quality control... \
  • Reply 14 of 80
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Any updated drivers available..?
  • Reply 15 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Apple has been calling, or sending e-mails to people who received the boards. They say that the boards were sent out too soon, and that the software wasn't yet ready.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Has anyone tried this yet? It is appearing in my software update but I am extremely reluctant to install. Last time I installed a firmware fix for graphics issues was my 2008 Mac Pro, and it made the fans permanently louder from then on.

I suggest that you wait a few days, and check:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

and

http://www.macfixit.com/

Over the next few days, to see how others have fared with this.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Slip quality control?

And this is the main reason I won't spend the money on Apple's "premium" (I meant designer though) computers anymore. When we pay as much as we do, we expect it to work decently well.

They used to have good QC, what happened? I've noticed a big change when we went to intel, but I don't know how much of that is really it.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

And this is the main reason I won't spend the money on Apple's "premium" (I meant designer though) computers anymore. When we pay as much as we do, we expect it to work decently well.

They used to have good QC, what happened? I've noticed a big change when we went to intel, but I don't know how much of that is really it.

Bullshit patrol alert!!!

Apple still has, by far, the best QC in terms of customer opinions, support request and return rates. To judge them based on anecdotal evidence and opinions posted in support forums is nonsense.

Besides, my 24" iMac has a flawless LCD with no issues whatsoever...people should stop presuming that their problems are everyone else's problems...issues will ALWAYS happen even if you buy the most expensive article from the most renowned maker. This does NOT necessarily mean they are any worse than before, unless you REALLY show objective statistics to back that up.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Slip quality control?

Let me ask you a question.

Why do you bother to even use a Mac and admit to owning them?

Just use an affordable Windows-based PC and problem solved. Just switch.

All you do is troll and complain about Macs.

Yet, this is in your sig:

iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model

Nano 3rd/4th gen

iPhone 2G/3G

If you CLEARLY dislike Apple and Macs so much, then . . . WHY DO YOU EVEN OWN THESE PRODUCTS? Just sell them. No more worries, no more stress.

It seems pretty stupid of you to have them in your possession and constantly troll about them. Does it make sense to hang on to, and discuss something you dislike that much? There is an ocean of PCs out there for you to pick and choose from, and they have nothing to do with Macs, and they run Windows.

The result:

No need for you to come in here and complain, which means no more headaches on your part. You'll be a satisfied user, which you cearly are not. The only kind of person who keeps using something they dislike and who then takes the time and trouble to complain about it is someone who is mentally ill.

Fair?
  • Reply 20 of 80
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tennisplaya20042 View Post

mac os x 10.5.7 has all the drivers for the card. the card really wont work until you update to 10.5.7

yet Apple is taking their time