Apple adds more WWDC Sessions

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A whole lot more

Time to sift through and see if there is anything interesting. I will update this thread with any tidbits that I see that sound like something new.

Color Management for Snow Leopard

Quote:

Mac OS X uses advanced standards-based color management techniques to ensure that images, graphics, and video always look great on screen and on paper. See how ColorSync, Quartz, and QuickTime X can automatically color match digital media in your application. Learn color management best practices and understand how changes to system gamma may affect your application.

My emphasis added. How much color managment does Quicktime currently offer?

Pasteboards, Services, and Interoperability on Mac

Quote:

NSPasteboard provides the foundation for the application interoperability that all Mac users expect such as copy, paste, drag, and drop. Services harness the pasteboard, allowing users to integrate your app into their workflows across applications. Learn about significant enhancements to NSPasteboard and Services and how to leverage these capabilities in your app.

I've seen the revamped Services menu. I'm looking forward to using it more.

QuickTime X Lab

Quote:

Work directly with the QuickTime engineering team to transition your QuickTime 7-based application to the rich capabilities of QuickTime X. Bring your laptop, your code, and your questions.

I'm beginning to agree with Mdriftmeyer that QTX isn't just for playback. It looks like recording is something it'll likely offer as well albeit maybe in a limited selection of codecs.

Transitioning to QuickTime X

Quote:

Snow Leopard introduces QuickTime X, the next-generation path for efficient playback of modern standards-based media. Explore QuickTime X architecture, codec support, and color management details. See how QTKit delivers the power of QuickTime X through an object-oriented Cocoa framework. Learn how to transition your QuickTime 7-based application to the rich capabilities of QuickTime X.

System Image Creation and Deployment with Snow Leopard Server

Quote:

System Image creation and deployment is the best way to ensure consistent configuration of Macs in your organization. Learn how to use the new features in System Image Utility 2 to create NetBoot, NetInstall, and NetRestore images to simplify the deployment of Mac OS X across your organization.

Using Services in Snow Leopard for Scripting IT Tasks

Quote:

The power of IT is expressed not only in the management of systems, but in enabling others to do their jobs smoothly and efficiently. The dramatically redesigned Services architecture in Snow Leopard lets you put management tools at the "point-of-need" where staff and managers require them the most. Join the experts as they demonstrate Services integration strategies involving a range of standard computer languages and applications.

Again my emphasis added: Yea..more nods to Services making a comeback.

Not a whole lot of meat there but the Grand Central Dispatch sessions should be popular and of course the iPhone sessions. Snow Leopard may not be all that flashy but if we take the whole platform from iPhone to iTablet to Macintosh. Apple's got something special brewing here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

A whole lot more

Time to sift through and see if there is anything interesting. I will update this thread with any tidbits that I see that sound like something new.

Thanks

K
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Looks like they've added "Expert" class sessions now.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

A whole lot more

Color Management for Snow Leopard

My emphasis added. How much color managment does Quicktime currently offer?

Pasteboards, Services, and Interoperability on Mac

I've seen the revamped Services menu. I'm looking forward to using it more.

QuickTime X Lab

I'm beginning to agree with Mdriftmeyer that QTX isn't just for playback. It looks like recording is something it'll likely offer as well albeit maybe in a limited selection of codecs.

Transitioning to QuickTime X

System Image Creation and Deployment with Snow Leopard Server

Using Services in Snow Leopard for Scripting IT Tasks

Again my emphasis added: Yea..more nods to Services making a comeback.

Not a whole lot of meat there but the Grand Central Dispatch sessions should be popular and of course the iPhone sessions. Snow Leopard may not be all that flashy but if we take the whole platform from iPhone to iTablet to Macintosh. Apple's got something special brewing here.

It sure took them long enough to finally move forward with the plans we layed out in 1997. I just couldn't sit around for 12 years to see it finally arrive. In hindsight I should have, but then again I'd have probably retired from all the future stock options and become fat and lazy while building a house near my favorite lake.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Creating I/O Kit Drivers for Multiple Architectures and OS Versions

Quote:

Learn how to structure your I/O Kit device driver project to support multiple operating system versions and both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels, all from a single code base. Explore how Mac OS X tools support building, loading, and debugging kernel extensions for a universal environment.

Concurrent Programming in Cocoa

Quote:

Snow Leopard has increased concurrency support in the Foundation and Application Kit frameworks. Find out how to make effective use of NSOperation to manage tasks and write multithreaded code to maximize your application's use of multiple CPU cores.

Designing Your Cocoa Application for Concurrency

Quote:

Concurrency is a powerful but complex opportunity for modern applications. Explore challenges and solutions for designing multi-threaded applications. Examine strategies for working with notifications between threads, processing data asynchronously, and maximizing your application's efficiency with the file system and network.

Harnessing the Power of OpenCL

Quote:

Dive deeper into the practical applications of OpenCL and learn techniques that yield incredible performance increases. See how experts refactor application code into optimized OpenCL kernels and gain insight into the best ways to take advantage of the OpenCL execution model and memory hierarchy. This is a perfect session for developers looking to push the performance envelope of their applications.

Introduction to OpenCL

Quote:

OpenCL (Open Computing Language) lets a Mac OS X application tap into the vast computing power of the modern graphics processor (GPU). Discover the OpenCL architecture, its approachable C-based language, and powerful API for managing parallel computations. Attend this session to see how OpenCL can dramatically improve the speed and responsiveness of your application.

Java SE 6 on Snow Leopard

Quote:

As Snow Leopard moves to Java 6, learn modern techniques for the best possible Mac experience while maintaining cross-platform compatibility using the latest version of Java. Find out how Mac OS X continues to build on its strong Java support with new UI enhancements, new APIs, and a next-generation Java Applet browser plug-in.

Objective-C and Garbage Collection Advancements

Quote:

Objective-C for Mac OS X continues to advance at a rapid pace with the addition of properties, garbage collection, and now with Snow Leopard, blocks [LLVM] and other performance-oriented improvements. Learn to take full advantage of the modern Objective-C runtime. Explore how to utilize garbage collection in conjunction with Grand Central Dispatch to create lightning-fast applications all while the runtime manages memory for you. Get on the path to becoming an expert Objective-C developer.

• Reply 5 of 7
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Concurrent Programming in Cocoa

Designing Your Cocoa Application for Concurrency

Oh, that's what is really interesting. Bookmarked. Thanks.

I believe, Time Machine will become rocket fast in SL.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    The updated list contains nice nuggets about OpenCL as well as Grand Central Dispatch and more Services integration.

It finally appears like services will come of age and that makes me happy.

Mastering OpenCL

What's New in Instruments:

Discover how Instruments has evolved to analyze Grand Central Dispatch,

Automator and Services Lab

Learn how the new Services infrastructure in Snow Leopard can make your application more useful

Using Automator and Services to Integrate with Mac OS X

Automator has been enhanced to enable creation of system Services in Snow Leopard. Learn how to build Services, create custom Automator actions and extend the flexibility of your application

This bodes well for the future and it appears that Automator is still a focus by Sal Sagoihans team. Now that it links with Services and we have contintued Applescript/Scripting Bridge
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

The updated list contains nice nuggets about OpenCL as well as Grand Central Dispatch and more Services integration.

It finally appears like services will come of age and that makes me happy.

Mastering OpenCL

What's New in Instruments:

Discover how Instruments has evolved to analyze Grand Central Dispatch,

Automator and Services Lab

Learn how the new Services infrastructure in Snow Leopard can make your application more useful

Using Automator and Services to Integrate with Mac OS X

Automator has been enhanced to enable creation of system Services in Snow Leopard. Learn how to build Services, create custom Automator actions and extend the flexibility of your application

This bodes well for the future and it appears that Automator is still a focus by Sal Sagoihans team. Now that it links with Services and we have contintued Applescript/Scripting Bridge

I do seem to recall I was very vocal about how Cocoa Services, system-wide will bring back much of what made Openstep a dream desktop environment; and a big aide for third party devs to cooperate with one another and not reinvent the wheel over and over, thus bringing leaner, more focused applications that gives back as well as gets back functionality across the OS.

This is the first version I'm truly excited to be using and developing on.