White iPhone 3GS units discoloring from excessive heat

12346

Comments

  • teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    1) You think AT&T is broken and will magically get fixed by Spetember because someone told you that. Realistic?



    2) You think that the 2 previous iPhones could do video recording well simply because they are iPhones. Realistic?



    3) You think that Apple has been holding AT&T back from releasing MMS, yet not the other carriers it partners with. Realistic?



    4) You think that the video camera in the iPhone is more important than the phone and don’t understand how the new HW of the iPhone is tied to the video camera capabilities. Realistic?



    5) You heard one issue about the battery over heating and immediately made comments about waiting for the recall to occur before buying. Realistic?



    Cameronj was right!



    1.) Broken no- subpar yes.

    2.) No- the reason was because they both had cameras.

    3.) Everybody knows AT&T has been holding back MMS.

    4.) It has a better camera- how could it not be tied to the video?

    5.) Actually I've read more about the battery not holding a charge very long.



    Who's Cameronj?
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    [AT&T is] Broken no- subpar yes.



    I'm no particular fan of AT&T, or any other wireless carrier for that matter, but, given that no carrier has the volume of traffic that AT&T does -- due to their exclusive deal for the iPhone, a blessing and a curse for them, I think -- it's hard to support a claim that they are sub-par. Sub-par compared to what? Verizon isn't, as far as I know, carrying the volume of traffic that AT&T is, nor is any other North American carrier that I'm aware of, and I don't see any actual evidence that if all the iPhone traffic could somehow be magically shifted from AT&T to some other network that that network could handle it any better.



    So, in all fairness to AT&T, I don't think this claim, which is made by many in one form or another, is really substantiated in any way. However, I am quite happy to be proven wrong with actual data.
  • teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    I'm no particular fan of AT&T, or any other wireless carrier for that matter, but, given that no carrier has the volume of traffic that AT&T does -- due to their exclusive deal for the iPhone, a blessing and a curse for them, I think -- it's hard to support a claim that they are sub-par. Sub-par compared to what? Verizon isn't, as far as I know, carrying the volume of traffic that AT&T is, nor is any other North American carrier that I'm aware of, and I don't see any actual evidence that if all the iPhone traffic could somehow be magically shifted from AT&T to some other network that that network could handle it any better.



    So, in all fairness to AT&T, I don't think this claim, which is made by many in one form or another, is really substantiated in any way. However, I am quite happy to be proven wrong with actual data.



    Verizon is the larger of the two networks and also ranks higher besides- both customer service and connectivity. AT&T has added and added more 3G junk phones to their network without upgrading it- though they are supposed to soon - but not soon enough. Verizon can't get the iPhone because its CDMA and Apple is obligated to AT&T because without them there would be no iPhone. So it's a catch 22this with AT&T. We are stuck with them for a long time I would think. At least until there is 4G.
  • mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,652member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    I have always been unbiased and objective



    Joke of the century!
  • mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,652member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That is only an issue is certain environments. Most people’s home’s don’t have the sunlight coming through the ceiling or have florescent lights above them. Teckstud’s comments have never been qualified with anything other than glossy suck for everyone in every situation when that simply isn’t the case.



    That's funny, my home doesn't have sunlight coming through the ceiling or have florescent lights, yet I have an issue with reflections.



    It doesn't matter where the light is coming from - as soon as the ambient light is high enough (just under the level that disables the keyboard's backlighting), you can see annoying reflections on the screen, i.e., it is easy to focus on the reflection instead of the screen image. I find that highly distracting and it pisses me off.
  • teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Joke of the century!



    I'm glad you liked it.
  • teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    That's funny, my home doesn't have sunlight coming through the ceiling or have florescent lights, yet I have an issue with reflections.



    It doesn't matter where the light is coming from - as soon as the ambient light is high enough (around about the same level that disables the keyboard's backlighting), you can see annoying reflections on the screen, i.e., it is easy to focus on the reflection instead of the screen image. I find that highly distracting and it pisses me off.



    Solipism's comments (all 10 mil of them) should be taken with a grain of salt. He never, ever says one thing against any Apple product. Apple could give him a chalkboard and he would say "chalkboards are what we need".
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    AT&T has added and added more 3G junk phones to their network without upgrading it.



    Oh yeah!
    And you wonder why you can’t be taken seriously on any post.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    That's funny, my home doesn't have sunlight coming through the ceiling or have florescent lights, yet I have an issue with reflections.



    It doesn't matter where the light is coming from - as soon as the ambient light is high enough (just under the level that disables the keyboard's backlighting), you can see annoying reflections on the screen, i.e., it is easy to focus on the reflection instead of the screen image. I find that highly distracting and it pisses me off.



    My backlit keyboard will not come on —though I wish it would— my display brightness is set to the highest level and I have no reflections. Not even on the rim where it’s just black behind the glass.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    I'm glad you liked it.



    He may not have been talking about your comment but about the commenter.
  • mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,652member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    My backlit keyboard will not come on ?though I wish it would? my display brightness is set to the highest level and I have no reflections. Not even on the rim where it?s just black behind the glass.



    Odd. Which MacBook Pro do you have? Have Apple toned down the reflectiveness (I've got an "original" 15" Unibody)? Mine is crazy reflective, and like I say, I find it very annoying.



    Increasing the backlight level does help, but then you have to trade off reflections against battery life and blinding yourself! I'd much rather just have a non-glossy screen. In addition, the glass in front of the display weighs a fair bit, a 15" with non-glossy option would be even lighter.
  • teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    He may not have been talking about your comment but about the commenter.



    Why do you think he's a name caller? Why would you think that?
  • teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Odd. Which MacBook Pro do you have? Have Apple toned down the reflectiveness (I've got an "original" 15" Unibody)? Mine is crazy reflective, and like I say, I find it very annoying.



    Increasing the backlight level does help, but then you have to trade off reflections against battery life and blinding yourself! I'd much rather just have a non-glossy screen. In addition, the glass in front of the display weighs a fair bit, a 15" with non-glossy option would be even lighter.



    I'm telling you- he will deny any glare reflecting of that high glossy screen even if it blinds him!
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Odd. Which MacBook Pro do you have? Have Apple toned down the reflectiveness (I've got an "original" 15" Unibody)? Mine is crazy reflective, and like I say, I find it very annoying.



    Increasing the backlight level does help, but then you have to trade off reflections against battery life and blinding yourself! I'd much rather just have a non-glossy screen. In addition, the glass in front of the display weighs a fair bit, a 15" with non-glossy option would be even lighter.



    Just to be clear, the room I am in is currently too bright for my backlit keyboard to come on. I wish I had the option to keep it on all the time if I so desire. There is an app called Lab Tick that will override the system?s settings but I prefer not to use it because it uses an ungodly amount of processing power for such a simple task.* About 3% of my 2.4GHz late 2008 MB, which has the backlit keyboard. Not a lot of processing, but too much for such a simple task should, IMO.



    Anyway, I can?t see a screen reflection until my turn my display on an AI webpage until the display completely off. If I have a black image on the screen it?s at around 5 bars before I can see it, but even then I have to move my head side-to-side just to notice it. at that point. Maybe it?s because I am in a cave. I?ll ask my neighbor Osama when I see him. Reflections can occur with any display but the brightness of the LED backlit displays have caused me no issues.





    * Teckstud won?t see my desire for a completely user controlled backlit keyboard or any of the other dozens of posts I make per day about what I wish Apple would include or exclude as ?[never saying] one thing against any Apple product? because I didn?t whine and cry that Apple is ripping me off by not including this simple feature.
  • trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Perhaps the heat is actually a new iPhone feature: Coffee Warmer. Just put your cup of coffee on it and it stays hot all day long. That discoloration on the back isn't from the heat, it's coffee stains!
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Verizon is the larger of the two networks and also ranks higher besides- both customer service and connectivity. AT&T has added and added more 3G junk phones to their network without upgrading it. Verizon can't get the iPhone because its CDMA and Apple is obligated to AT&T because without them there would be no iPhone. So it's a catch 22this with AT&T. We are stuck with them for a long time I would think. At least until there is 4G.



    Larger in what way? More subscribers? More cell towers? More backhaul capacity? (I certainly don't know those latter numbers.) And exactly how many 3G phones are on AT&T's network compared to Verizon's? (And I don't believe it's the case that AT&T has not done any network upgrades.)



    The point is, what actual data is there to support a claim that the iPhone experience would be better on Verizon, assuming all the iPhones suddenly worked on Verizon rather than AT&T. I have never seen anyone making such a claim support it with any data, so it seems rather baseless.



    It probably would be the case that if AT&T had half the iPhones removed from their current network, and those iPhones were magically made to work on Verizon's, that service on AT&T's network would improve, and Verizon's would probably degrade. But what's the actual data supporting the claim that Verizon has a better 3G network. Better for the volume of traffic perhaps, but absolutely better?



    Obviously, the point is somewhat academic as regards the iPhone, since it is where it is, but saying that AT&T's network is sub-par implies some sort of objective comparison that shows that.



    Well, OK, AT&T's customer service does suck, and I don't have any experience with Verizon's, but I suspect that it's not entirely good times either.
  • solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    Larger in what way? More subscribers? More cell towers? More backhaul capacity? (I certainly don't know those latter numbers.) And exactly how many 3G phones are on AT&T's network compared to Verizon's? (And I don't believe it's the case that AT&T has not done any network upgrades.)



    The point is, what actual data is there to support a claim that the iPhone experience would be better on Verizon, assuming all the iPhones suddenly worked on Verizon rather than AT&T. I have never seen anyone making such a claim support it with any data, so it seems rather baseless.



    It probably would be the case that if AT&T had half the iPhones removed from their current network, and those iPhones were magically made to work on Verizon's, that service on AT&T's network would improve, and Verizon's would probably degrade. But what's the actual data supporting the claim that Verizon has a better 3G network. Better for the volume of traffic perhaps, but absolutely better?



    Obviously, the point is somewhat academic as regards the iPhone, since it is where it is, but saying that AT&T's network is sub-par implies some sort of objective comparison that shows that.



    Well, OK, AT&T's customer service does suck, and I don't have any experience with Verizon's, but I suspect that it's not entirely good times either.



    We also need to consider how many phones require data packages which may help us determine which carriers have the most phones with data packages. The Pre on Sprint, the iPhone on AT&T and, I think, the Storm on Verizon are the only phones in the US that are required to have data packages with service. That makes a huge difference right there.



    There is no clear evidence, only anecdotes of iPhone data usage and webs stats from various sources claiming iPhone OS usage as high as Linux desktop usage with no other mobile OS even registering.



    I have anecdotal evidence of AT&T’s network up and down getting considerably faster this year, even Melgross saying that 3G in his area improved after getting the iPhone. And there are plenty of sites detailing the work AT&T has put into upgrading their network since before the original iPhone launch… but we are to believe that AT&T hasn’t done anything to upgrade their network in over 2 years because TeckStud said so.
  • trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    As I've said before, show me ANY phone company that isn't trying to scam and cheat their own customers, and I'll show you a live unicorn.



    I've had accounts with many phone companies over the years, some still here, most gone, and they were all horrible in the end. Still are.



    So, whether it's AT&T or Sprint or whoever, you can be guaranteed that your bill will always be twice as large as you expected and that your plan will suddenly be changed on you without your knowing until you get that $900 cellphone bill. And now we have to contend with outrageous multi-year contracts which were designed to prevent people from moving to another company because of bad service. There's no longer any incentive for any of these companies to provide anything but horrible, rude customer service (think U.S. Postal Service) because you can't leave without paying them a nice big fat sum of money for the privilege. It's legalized extortion.



    So much for Free Market!
  • mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,652member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post


    As I've said before, show me ANY phone company that isn't trying to scam and cheat their own customers, and I'll show you a live unicorn.



    Hmmm. I pay £20 a month for my landline, which includes 5 Mbit down/348 kbit up ADSL broadband with unlimited data, free landline calls to anywhere in the UK 24/7, free calls to the U.S. and Canada (landlines and mobiles) 24/7, free calls to landlines in Australia, New Zealand, France, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands 24/7, and the cost of all other calls is easy to check if you're not sure (here)



    For my mobile, I'm on Pay As You Go with ASDA. 8p/minute any time to any network in the UK, 4p/text to any network in the UK. No charge to receive calls or texts.



    So, I make that two phone companies not trying to screw over their customers; where are my live unicorns?
  • quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,566member
    Until it happens to an appreciable number of users, it's all just FUD.
  • splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post


    As I've said before, show me ANY phone company that isn't trying to scam and cheat their own customers, and I'll show you a live unicorn.



    I've had accounts with many phone companies over the years, some still here, most gone, and they were all horrible in the end. Still are.



    So, whether it's AT&T or Sprint or whoever, you can be guaranteed that your bill will always be twice as large as you expected and that your plan will suddenly be changed on you without your knowing until you get that $900 cellphone bill. And now we have to contend with outrageous multi-year contracts which were designed to prevent people from moving to another company because of bad service. There's no longer any incentive for any of these companies to provide anything but horrible, rude customer service (think U.S. Postal Service) because you can't leave without paying them a nice big fat sum of money for the privilege. It's legalized extortion.



    So much for Free Market!



    Amen to that. However, there are alternatives.



    1. You can pay more for an unlocked iPhone.

    2. You can forgo the added features of smartphones and enter one of many pay-as-you-go or pay-as-you-use services. They exist.



    So I wouldn't knock the free market just yet, but those of us who don't use a landline or have a business cell don't have a cheap option. Go figure.
  • multimediamultimedia Posts: 853member
    I run mine plugged into the wall a lot of the time plus as an iPod playing music for hours not plugged in inside a thick Speck rubber case with none of the overheating described in this article.
Sign In or Register to comment.