Web site lists TomTom iPhone mount for £99.00 ($168.50)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

One thing I do wish would happen is for Apple to automatically increase the brightness to max when the phone is on AC power. When I stick the phone in my car, I always have to change the brightness because otherwise it's not easily visible when driving.

Maybe its so you'll keep your eyes on the road? Instead of on your iPhone? Just sayin'...
  • Reply 22 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Pricey. What happens if you want to use the app when walking around, without the cradle? Will it still work without the GPS enhancer in the cradle, and how well will it work? Also, not sure how well it will work without a built-in compass, which only the 3GS phones have.

I believe that the software will work without the cradle since it's supposed to be available on its own as well. That said, how well... who knows? If TomTom tries to push people to buy the cradle they could possibly cripple the app when the cradle is not used. That would be dumb, but you never know.

As for not having a built-in compass, I have the Navigon GPS app on a 3G iPhone (i.e. no compass) and am very happy with it. It takes a while to get a lock on when starting up sometimes (like other GPS btw) but it's definitely more accurate than Google Maps. It's a release 1.0, so there are some things that will need fixing over time, but overall I was impressed and for the intro price of $69.99 it was a better deal for me regardless of what TomTom did since I already have a dock connector cradle in my car that integrates music.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    Well all their other units that support real time traffic/rerouting require a separate data connection and also a monthly fee. If they include this in there at no charge (and there is no reason they cant considering its already in google maps), it is not that bad. I would pay 50 bucks to consolidate devices. No work yet how audio will bridge through receiver. I have an alpine headunit with dedicated ipod interface and using RF instead would suck
  • Reply 24 of 114
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Maybe its so you'll keep your eyes on the road? Instead of on your iPhone? Just sayin'...

What if he's in the passenger seat?
  • Reply 25 of 114
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Right but without the iPhone it's completely useless. $129 total (cradle and software included) is my absolute max price and with that enhanced GPS functionality it better work with my 2G iPhone since that's the one I plan on using so my 3Gs is still available for talking and such.

You're paying for that enhanced GPS and the fact you are consolidating down into one device that integrates with iPhone OS and can be leveraged in other applications.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    It is interesting here that so many jump to such ridiculous conclusion, ask such stupid questions and deem such idiotic predictions, that a little reading, i.e., following the links, would address most of their issues.

Oh, I forget, they are either dumber than doorknobs or just the usual Apple haters, non-iPhone owners or just like the feel of crapping out of their mouths.

IMO.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedot View Post

I believe that the software will work without the cradle since it's supposed to be available on its own as well.

http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry4607.html
  • Reply 28 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're paying for that enhanced GPS and the fact you are consolidating down into one device that integrates with iPhone OS and can be leveraged in other applications.

Point being? You think I should pay more than 129?

I know it nice to have it all in 1 package but I've gotta be honest here - I don't want a text or a call to mess with my directions - that'd just be annoying.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Well all their other units that support real time traffic/rerouting require a separate data connection and also a monthly fee. If they include this in there at no charge (and there is no reason they cant considering its already in google maps), it is not that bad. I would pay 50 bucks to consolidate devices. No work yet how audio will bridge through receiver. I have an alpine headunit with dedicated ipod interface and using RF instead would suck

If the TomTom app works anything like the Navigon one, you should be able to get audio via the headunit. I have a similar setup, the cradle with dock connector directly into my head unit is Dension (which may have made your Alpine one too) and its connected to a Sony headunit. I can change songs, FF and RW via the headunit without affecting the GPS app's functionality too. First bought it for an iPod photo back in the day, but it's worked with every version of iPod and now iPhone that I have tried to plug into it (and 2 different Sony headunits). Only caveat is that the power is Firewire spec since that's the way all iPods came back then instead of the newer USB spec power that modern iPods and all iPhones use, so I need a converter to get charge with an iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 30 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

At that price, thieves will be breaking car windows just to steal the mounts.

Reminds me of the joke about having two Vanderbilt football tickets on by dashboard. Someone broke the windshield and put two more right next to them. Ba-dum-pshh!

Seriously, there's no way this is the pricing for the TomTom mount. That's more than the cost of the TomTom that I use now.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Oh no what's next - silicone cases reviews? We're reverting back to the iPhone Lounge again.

What exactlly does Apple have to do with this?
  • Reply 32 of 114
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I am not defending TomTom's pricing for this product. What folks are don't realize with these types of products is that it's not the price of the hardware that makes it expensive. The software in many cases is what gives it its value.

Since software is not necessarily something tangible that one can physically hold in their hand, they is no perceived to it. It's really unfortunate because in this particular case, the physical mount (with included GPS) is the cheap part. There is a huge amount of R&D and software development that goes into designing the interface.

The iPhone / Touch and $.99 App Store mentality has warped many folks into believe that if it costs more than a dollar (or if it's not free), then it is a rip-off.

Just because a stand-alone unit costs a bit less just tells me that the hardware is dirt-cheap and the software is what carries the price tag.

I will hold my judgement to see what TomTom comes up with on its iPhone / Touch implementation. It certainly means one less piece of hardware to carry around.

Many critics here just seem to place price alone above all else. That has been the basis for many other subjects on this forum for ages.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    They're nuts at that price! It must be below $100, unless it also drives the car... ;-)
  • Reply 34 of 114
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I am not defending TomTom's pricing for this product. What folks are don't realize with these types of products is that it's not the price of the hardware that makes it expensive. The software in many cases is what gives it its value.

Since software is not necessarily something tangible that one can physically hold in their hand, they is no perceived to it. It's really unfortunate because in this particular case, the physical mount (with included GPS) is the cheap part. There is a huge amount of R&D and software development that goes into designing the interface.

The iPhone / Touch and $.99 App Store mentality has warped many folks into believe that if it costs more than a dollar (or if it's not free), then it is a rip-off.

Just because a stand-alone unit costs a bit less just tells me that the hardware is dirt-cheap and the software is what carries the price tag.

I will hold my judgement to see what TomTom comes up with on its iPhone / Touch implementation. It certainly means one less piece of hardware to carry around.

Many critics here just seem to place price alone above all else. That has been the basis for many other subjects on this forum for ages.

Valid points. But their software for the iphone will not be radically different than their other software. Certainly, it is what will provide the value, but what makes the software so much more valuable on the iPhone?

Also, maybe wrong on this, but I recall reading when TomTom first announced this, that TomTom was going to produce the hardware and that it was actually Apple that was going to do the software for them, I think for free, as a showpiece of what was possible with OS3.0 and dock connector app integration.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh no what's next - silicone cases reviews? We're reverting back to the iPhone Lounge again.

What exactlly does Apple have to do with this?

It's an iPhone app. Duh.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

...Many critics here just seem to place price alone above all else. That has been the basis for many other subjects on this forum for ages.

But that is a value determination - I think all of us would agree that the extra price tag to get a Mac vs PC was worth it but for the overwhelming majority of us paying the same amount to turn our iPhones into GPS as just buying a GPS flat out (bigger screen perhaps) just doesn't make any sense. GPS still isn't present in every vehicle and it's not a necessity (especially given the google maps app) so we want something to pull us in and at those prices (I realize they are theoretical) the uptick from Google Maps to GPS just isn't worth it for most (myself included).
  • Reply 37 of 114
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    i was stunned when i first saw the $170 but then again it is 'competitive. consider navigon's offering at $99 (once both are available) then the cradle would be the extra $70. it's not just a cradle but also a charger and hands free stereo/phone thingy too, with it's own gps antenna built in.

now i admit that i am a LOT less enthusiastic to buy one now than before i heard the price and will probably just use what comes-with. and att is insane to offer a subscription plan. check that. att is brilliant for offering a subscription plan that will appeal to the insane customers who will subscribe without realizing how far overpriced it will be if they use the iphone for even a year.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If I recall correctly, that cradle actually has its own gps radio that they say is a lot stronger than the iPhones, which will allow for better performance. Keep that in mind when considering the price.

This has never made sense to me. The point of a all-in-one GPS device in my pocket is that I would use it in any car I drive. With this TomTom iPhone frankenstein, I now have to lug the mount/receiver from car to car.

No thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

This has never made sense to me. The point of a all-in-one GPS device in my pocket is that I would use it in any car I drive. With this TomTom iPhone frankenstein, I now have to lug the mount/receiver from car to car.

No thanks.

It's an add-on, not a requirement. The app will work fine w/out the cradle but if you do have the cradle you'll get a faster and more accurate GPS fix.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Valid points. But their software for the iphone will not be radically different than their other software.

You really think that an iPhone app isn't drastically different than the software that runs on their own hardware? You haven't done much software development have you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Also, maybe wrong on this, but I recall reading when TomTom first announced this, that TomTom was going to produce the hardware and that it was actually Apple that was going to do the software for them, I think for free, as a showpiece of what was possible with OS3.0 and dock connector app integration.

I think you are incorrect.