Apple's tablet will be more than a niche product - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 238
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Good Grief!

Did even the iPhone garner as much speculation and debate prior to it's debut...and for so long? I doubt it.
  • Reply 62 of 238
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I believe that an updated version of the iPhone OS will be what runs on the tablet, for these reasons:

1) iPhone OS is not limited to its present form. A tablet-appropriate update with additional capabilities is a no-brainer;

2) Contrary to popular opinion, including Leander Kahney's, iPhone app developers have always been instructed to make their apps work on larger screens than the iPhone's. This shows that Apple has been thinking ahead for some time now. Certainly, some apps will have to be updated, but I don't see how there will be an either/or distinction between iPhone and tablet apps;

3) iPhone OS and Snow Leopard are reportedly 85% similar; the dissimilarity is probably due to all the extra stuff in the desktop version. Nothing requires the APIs to be more than temporarily dissimilar, as MacBooks and even iMacs are perfectly capable of sprouting cellular connections, motion sensors, touch screens and GPS;

4) The principle obstacles to running Mac OS X on a tablet are battery life and app compatibility. Mac OS X drags in Carbon, which is a legacy API. Anything written in Carbon--Office, Adobe CS, and other behemoth cross-platform apps, plus a few others--will not automatically inherit touch-screen capabilities no matter how Apple bakes them in to the OS. There will have to be updates that explicitly add them. Anyone familiar with Microsoft and Adobe is aware that such updates don't exactly fly out the door. Adobe, in particular, is obsessed with the idea that its applications behave consistently across platforms to the extent possible, so it's almost certain that the Mac version will get touch sensitivity when the Windows version does and to the extent that the Windows version does, and following whatever rules Adobe writes for its own UI instead of the native behavior on either platform. Also, it's almost certain that this capability with be released some years down the road from now, perhaps with the next full release of the suite.

I would expect: iPhone OS 4.0, or maybe 3.5, with new capabilities appropriate to the new tablet and a few goodies thrown in for iPhone and iPod touch users; iLife and iWork, which are already either finger-friendly or nearly so; the same sort of support that iPhone has for Office documents, perhaps beefed up further, to make up for the lack of Office proper, and; some intelligent way to run iPhone apps without merely stretching the UI to an absurd size.
  • Reply 63 of 238
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Although fun for us to speculate, it's unwise for an analyst to commit client dollars to an unsubstantiated product launch. It smacks of stock manipulation.
  • Reply 64 of 238
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yingkai View Post

-SNIP -

Last but not least, the price should also be competitive, like 699 or 749. Above 800 will be hard. Walmart is offering full spec 15" Vista HP notebook at 298USD. How can Apple sell a "less" device for 500USD more?

Yingkai

I can see from your first post (welcome!) that you're new here... With all of this being pure speculation, the only thing we can say for sure is: Apple is NOT getting into a pissing contest with walmart. not. gonna. happen. ever.
  • Reply 65 of 238
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Good Grief!

Did even the iPhone garner as much speculation and debate prior to it's debut...and for so long? I doubt it.

is that a serious question?
  • Reply 66 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Price is the key. Tablets won't be people's primary computer. Instead they will be an auxiliary computer used for specific tasks. With this in mind, price is the key. Tablets will only become popular when they are so cheap that people can buy them on whim. A "why not?" kind of purchase. Otherwise, it will only be the rich that equip themselves with an auxiliary/limited-use computer.

$600 is close but not quite cheap enough in my book. At that price, most people will continue to use their laptop or desktop. With that said, I would love an Apple tablet. I probably can't justify the purchase of one though, even at the $600 price. My 24" iMac already does everything I need so a tablet would fall into the luxury category for me.

Indeed price is one of the major keys to flooding the market - but it also has to effectively bridge the gap betwen iPOD Touch and the entry level MacBook ($999.00). The challenge with tablets in the past (beside them running the Windows OS) is that they are usually MORE expensive then their laptop counterparts.

If Apple can accomplish real multitasking, touch screen and useful (I'm talking note taking & handwriting recognition) Apps AND keep it under the $999.00 mark it is no doubt that they will have a very solid winner on their hands.

Sign me up. (I above is true)
  • Reply 67 of 238
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

So are you saying that you keep it in the car and remove it maybe only to sync up with a Mac? Possible, but when in the car, where do you put it? Could it take the heat/cold of being in the car all the time? If you don't keep it in the car all the time, how many times will you forget it after you're already in the car?

Incidentally, I would LOVE if Apple made software for cars.

you take it around or do whatever like the iphone. why pay $2000 to Honda for a DVD system that costs them 1/10 the price you pay to install it? plus the tablet will play games. a lot of people are installing consoles into their cars and minivans for the kids on long drives.

except the tablet is cheaper and better

$1200 - $1800 will buy you 2-3 tablets to play games against each other for kids and parents via buetooth on long drives. or watch individual movies. and you can borrow DVD's from the library, rip them and import them to the iphone or tablet for a drive. or just rent via the cell network or wifi if it's there. a lot of hotels have free wifi and just leave the tablet overnight to download a movie. a lot better than taking a stack of movies and games with you.

i lost count how many of my CD's have been scratched up while in the army taking them out to the field, saudi arabia, africa, etc.
  • Reply 68 of 238
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The firm sees a tablet filling a void between the iPod touch and low-end MacBook. While the product will not be a netbook and will not be marketed as a netbook, Senior Research Analyst Gene Munster believes the product would be geared towards users who want convenient, inexpensive computers for simple tasks like Web browsing and checking e-mail.

someone needs to look up the definition of a netbook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I call BS on that price. My 1st gen iPhone cost $600. I really wish these reports would stop trying so hard to set people up for disappointment.

actually i could see that price. for a low end model. with perhaps a slightly higher model at perhaps $200 more. like a 7 inch and a 10 inch model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I'm imagine the real tablet will be a lot thinner than that brick in that mockup.

Agreed. I figure it will be around the thickness of a closed Air

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranson View Post

I disagree that it would be easier to enhance the iPhone OS than to make OS X more "touch friendly".

I don't think 'touch' is the issue. purpose if the issue. if they are designing a replacement for the Air, it will likely be OSX. but if it is essentially a netbook with gaming and music, then Phone OS is a contender. they already have an imovie lite for the iphone, they could do the same with other apps, plus you have all the 3rd party games that could make adjustments etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

By the way frequent charging is a bit of a deal breaker, it is not acceptable in fact.

with a bigger device and Apple's new batteries I suspect they are already thinking about that issue.

as for the multitasking issue, don't expect it to be as huge a capability as a full notebook. Because it is unlikely that they are trying to replace the whole notebook line with this device.

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Yes, Apple will need to loosen it's grip on the content for AppleTV in order for it to be successful.

You assume Apple has the grip. Don't forget that studios have much say in this concern. which is why, for example, hulu can only have 5 episodes at a time and why big networks like ABC only just not agreed to have their content included.

Also, just as many have said that the itunes store is all about selling ipods, so might this 'cobbled' AppleTV be about making sales in the itunes store.
  • Reply 69 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

All right this has gone too far. Apple hasn't even announced this product yet we have reports talking about a release date of early 2010, what OS it will be running, a price point of $600, and even how much it's going to sell in it's first year.

The product has not been announced.

We think ourselves an advanced civilization but here we are paying attention to these soothsayers predicting 2011 results for a product that does not officially exist.

People are WAY too anxious for this product and bound to be disappointed. In the past rumors have been believed and proven false when Apple never announced the product. Remember the iPhone nano? There is something troubling and sad about this level of speculation and immediate belief. Do we have no minds of our own? Are we so infantilized that we demand realization of our dreams for satisfaction?

Lets try not to fall into the hype and wait for an official announcement before speculating with this intensity.

Do you have a point you're trying to make (on an Apple rumor/fan site)?
  • Reply 70 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Good Grief!

Yeah, it gets better and better with each new product intro!
  • Reply 71 of 238
    I'm also a bit dubious about this tablet device. It's going to have to bring something to the table that the iPhone and MacBooks don't or can't. Personally, having a larger version of an iPhone isn't of much interest, especially if it's only running a souped-up version of iPhone OS. The price will also have to be amazingly good to convince enough people to buy it. $600 sounds like a decent place to start, but, as netbooks are selling for less, it'll have to have a huge WOW factor if Apple expects these to fly off the shelves.
  • Reply 72 of 238
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you take it around or do whatever like the iphone.

Yes, but how practical is that? I carry my iPhone everywhere. Home, work, bars, clubs, the grocery store...it's always in my pocket. Something in the 10" size you're going to be carrying it in a sleeve or something, just like any other notebook. And I definitely don't carry my MBP everywhere with me.

So I think a 10" device is just too big for a carry everywhere device like the iPhone. So it is going to be a niche product or something different for say, the home, that everyone would want to get?
  • Reply 73 of 238
    I doubt most Americans will pay 600 for the tablet

I think apple will use it iPhone strategy... Pay 399 for the tablet and 30 to 45 quid per month for two years

verizon would pay anything to get their hands on this one
  • Reply 74 of 238
    Is this for real? A stock analyst speculates out loud based on a rumor based on hearsay, his musings get picked up as if they're factual, and then everyone is talking about the price of a product that may not even exist.

Thank goodness fact and opinion never get mixed up in politics.
  • Reply 75 of 238
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, but how practical is that? I carry my iPhone everywhere. Home, work, bars, clubs, the grocery store...it's always in my pocket. Something in the 10" size you're going to be carrying it in a sleeve or something, just like any other notebook. And I definitely don't carry my MBP everywhere with me.

So I think a 10" device is just too big for a carry everywhere device like the iPhone. So it is going to be a niche product or something different for say, the home, that everyone would want to get?

i've the work of some demographics people and we are supposed to be in the midst of another baby boom similar to post WW2. Seems to happen every other generation. there are going to be more ankle biters around and parents will pay dearly to shut them up and keep them entertained on long trips and out on the town or whatever.

anyone who has kids will tell you that you have to take a lot of crap with you whenever you take your kids somewhere. buying a tablet that will keep you from carrying around pounds of crap is well worth it
  • Reply 76 of 238
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkAdrian View Post

Please add a stylus so I can use this as a sketch book! And a screen with brightess and contrast enoguh to use out doors.

I'll second that! I would love, love, love to be able to use some version of Photoshop or Illustrator on a tablet like this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karteekmehta View Post

Most Americans don't need to. A few hundred thousand would be just fine.
  • Reply 77 of 238
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You assume Apple has the grip. Don't forget that studios have much say in this concern. which is why, for example, hulu can only have 5 episodes at a time and why big networks like ABC only just not agreed to have their content included.

Also, just as many have said that the itunes store is all about selling ipods, so might this 'cobbled' AppleTV be about making sales in the itunes store.

True, but it's Apple who won't put in a $10 DVD player so I can play my existing library of movies. And Apple who doesn't support the entire set of their QuickTime codecs. And Apple who doesn't allow AppleTV to access the Movies folder on my Mac to play the videos there (those unsupported QT movie formats, iMovie projects, video_TS folders which FrontRow plays just fine).

None of those things would have any appreciable impact on iTunes sales. I'm never going to re-buy a movie from iTunes if I already own the DVD, and none of that content in my Movies folder is available from iTunes at any price.

Imagine how spectacularly UNsuccessful the iPod would have been if you couldn't play any of your exsiting music on it and you had to repurchase it all from Apple! Obviously, Apple can't support ripping commercial DVDs due to the DRM (although maybe they could make a deal with the studios to allow ripping if they then wrapped the resulting file in FairPlay). But if FrontRow can play DVDs, there is no reason AppleTV shouldn't be able to do the same.
  • Reply 78 of 238
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Ha. Never going to happen.

It's funny that you say this, at the starbucks where I live there is a woman who sets up her iMac at a table every day and uses it, and yes the large model, I don't know if she just moved here and doesn't have internet yet or what, but she has it in a suitcase with rollers and brings it in and sits there and works all day.

So never say never!

(I haven't seen her in a couple days, but if she is in again I'll be sure to get a pic on my iphone)
  • Reply 79 of 238
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karteekmehta View Post

I think apple will use it iPhone strategy... Pay 399 for the tablet and 30 to 45 quid per month for two years

verizon would pay anything to get their hands on this one

People said they would never pay 100s for a phone again, people said no one would pay that much for an iTouch ... etc., and so on.
  • Reply 80 of 238
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

is that a serious question?

More of a rhetorical one.