New Apple tablet speculation: two models, OLED screen

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
New reports on Apple's rumored upcoming tablet device suggest the product could have two versions -- one for educational use, and one with a Web cam -- and utilize an OLED screen.

Relaying information from an anonymous tip, Gizmodo's Brian Lam states that the device will have a 10-inch screen and look like a "giant iPhone, with a big black back." The tipster claimed to have handled a mock-up of the device, stating it has a home button like an iPhone, and will be positioned between an iPod/iPhone and a MacBook.

The report did not elaborate on the supposed separate Web cam and education editions of the device, but said it would cost between $700 and $900. The device has allegedly been under development between four and six years, though the first prototype was only created in late 2008.

"To make up for the cost and make the device more than just a big iPod there was, this person claimed, there was talk of making the device act as a secondary screen/touchpad for iMacs and MacBooks," Lam wrote, "much like a few of the USB screens that have come out in recent months from Chinese companies."

The source also said that there is a question of what operating system the device will run (Lam calls that detail a "huge secret"), but that it's possible the device could be made for sale this holiday season.

AppleInsider's own sources have maintained that the device will have a 10-inch screen, corroborating Lam's report. The device is believed to have a custom ARM chip to be developed by the PA Semi division. However, sources have told AppleInsider that the device will not be available until early 2010. Citing "very reliable sources," Jim Dalrymple, of CNet and The Loop, corroborates that date.

Meanwhile, a new report in Silicon Scoop alleges that Apple will launch in a tablet in limited release at $899 by the end of 2009. The "SmartBook" device, as author Trip Chowdhry calls it, is reported to have an 8-inch to 10-inch OLED screen and feature an ARM Cortex-A9 chipset, conflicting with AppleInsider's sources.

Chowdhry reports that Apple wants to launch the device this year, but it will not be available widespread until early 2010. Allegedly Apple's new device is being compared performance-wise to the Archos 9 PC Tablet, a Windows 7-based netbook.

Beyond what AppleInsider has already reported, there is no evidence to support any of these additional, new rumors at this time.

Additionally, videos have surfaced claiming to be footage of a development kit from Apple's tablet device. They are included here for discussion purposes only.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 187
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Huh? This looks like iPhone OS given a desktop... new apple os?
  • Reply 2 of 187
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Videos are fake, tablet is real. Gizmodo story is bull though.

"Ireland you're crazy, Apple will never do a tablet."
  • Reply 3 of 187
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    $900?
  • Reply 4 of 187
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If so those are the best fake videos of all time.
  • Reply 5 of 187
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

$900?

I said $899. To be $1 off isn't bad.
  • Reply 6 of 187
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    A $900 iPod touch better have some goodies in store that goes beyond just a bigger screen and faster CPU...

Even with 128GB storage that price seems steep.

OLED would be very nice, but I doubt Apple is ready for OLED. But perhaps...

Is it going to be even thinner than the iPod touch?

I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow can run both iPhone apps _and_ Mac OS apps by incorporating some Intel x86 core too. The latter would suck battery juice and be slow still, but users would have a choice to run a few Mac apps they must run.

Use Word if you have to, or use the iPod variant of Pages.

Use iPod Safari or Firefox with Flash if you really need the latter.

etc.

With that feature set $900 seems fair.
  • Reply 7 of 187
    $900 is too much for that sort of device. Something closer in pricing to the lower end Mac Mini would be appropriate.
  • Reply 8 of 187
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    I believe the tablet is a real device, but almost nothing about this particular rumour rings true or even makes much sense.

1) Brian Lam is really gullible, and Gizmodo has a horrible reputation. They are certainly not above faking the whole thing just for hits.

2) If one of the purposes is to use the screen as a touch-pad, the iPhone and iPod touch would be better sized for this and they are already here.

The videos are singularly unconvincing.

What kind of idiot would even bother to upload a video of a black screen with a white apple on it calling it "the boot sequence." How would such a mentally challenged individual be in the loop in terms of getting his hands on a developer's kit?

Also (just in regards the video):

- Why would there be a little typing keyboard on each floaty application?

- Why does the finger pause over the star button on the iTunes app unless they are waiting for the animation to be at the right point so it looks realistic?

- Why 8 year old OS-X wallpaper?

- Why a Tiger dock and not an iPhone dock or a Leopard dock?

Finally, its a bit of a dumb remark to say that Brian Lam's story is partially confirmed because he says it's a 10" screen, when the only thing we know for certain (for months now), is that the screen part they ordered a lot of is 10". That's like saying a new report of someone seeing a Sasquatch should be taken seriously because they said it had big feet and we know that previous rumours have said similar. Dumb!

Edit: Even Gruber thinks Brian got taken in by a scam.
  • Reply 9 of 187
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow can run both iPhone apps _and_ Mac OS apps by incorporating some Intel x86 core too. The latter would suck battery juice and be slow still, but users would have a choice to run a few Mac apps they must run.

etc.

With that feature set $900 seems fair.

More likely is that XCode will get an option to compile desktop applications for ARM, specifically the ARM A9 or derivative that is likely inside the PA Semi design. Sure, you'll have to wait for your favourite application to be compiled, but once it is, you'll be able to use it. Sucks if you want to use Word, but Pages and OpenOffice will be available fairly quickly.

However I'm waiting to see what the device is. That's a puzzle to me, because it could be anything. Indeed it could be a quite specific functionality that many people won't like given their hopes.
  • Reply 10 of 187
    Pricing sounds about right for a totally NEW Apple product.

The Videos look fake. The screen ripples when touched like any LCD monitor does and the timing of interaction seems too calculated (timed). Plus it would not be difficult at all to throw together some quick fake apps with the iPhone dev kit or even a widget dev kit. And how about typing out a WHOLE word, not just one letter to be more convincing.
  • Reply 11 of 187
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

$900 is too much for that sort of device. Something closer in pricing to the lower end Mac Mini would be appropriate.

What sort of device? Need I remind you, the product -- and everything about it -- is nothing more than a series of vague and contradictory rumors at this point. Yet, some are sure it's too expensive. Funny, that.
  • Reply 12 of 187
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    I might be the only one, but the videos look quite astonishingly "true" to me.
  • Reply 13 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I have no doubt that you are crazy.

I thought you were the one who was gung-ho on apple introducing a apple branded Tv?
  • Reply 14 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What sort of device? Need I remind you, the product -- and everything about it -- is nothing more than a series of vague and contradictory rumors at this point. Yet, some are sure it's too expensive. Funny, that.

No, I don't really know what it's gonna be, but I'm pretty certain that unless there is some godlike capability in this thing, very few people will shell out almost a grand for a 10" touchscreen device that is basically a bigger iPhone and/or extension of an iMac or MacBook. If it turns out to be a fully-fledged tablet machine running a touch variant of OS X that has capability on par with the MBA, then $900 is justifiable. Otherwise the pricetag alone will probably leave people asking, "That's it?"
  • Reply 15 of 187
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    i almost believed the story until i saw the bad videos. so we're supposed to believe that this individual got their hands on some prototype tablet hardware but they couldn't manage to pull their camera back 3 inches to reveal the bezel, the frame, the thickness and all other tablety things. no one cares about the gui. we already have been using this gui on the iphone for 2 years now you moron. the pacing was also bad. it looks like they rehearsed with that animation only twice before rolling camera.
  • Reply 16 of 187
    I'll believe the fricken thing when I see it.
  • Reply 17 of 187
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

etc.

That's what I've been thinking. A dual boot option wouldn't be bad, but I can't help thinking that the iPhone OS could launch out of OSX the same was dashboard or front row does. That, or just let people run iPhone apps within iTunes (a new version is due, right?) - that way the whole mac line would be able to use the app store without buying an touch or iPhone. That being said, having an option to run the tablet primarily on the iPhone OS would be a good way to save power.

We'll see - the "OS surprise" could be that this device swings both ways. It seems outlandish, but still more probable than Apple putting out a third OS (only 5 more versions of the same OS before they become Microsoft-esque).
  • Reply 18 of 187
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

No, I don't really know what it's gonna be, but I'm pretty certain that unless there is some godlike capability in this thing, very few people will shell out almost a grand for a 10" touchscreen device that is basically a bigger iPhone and/or extension of an OS X machine.

Your premise is based entirely in rumors. We don't know a single thing for certain about this device, including whether it even exists. That said, I and millions of others shelled out $400 for an iPod touch, which decidedly lacked the power of the gods.

Assuming Apple ships a tablet computer, I predict that no matter how it works and no matter what it can do, many will complain that it's just too expensive. Many of the same will predict that hardly anybody will buy it. How is that for going way out on a limb?
  • Reply 19 of 187
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Goodbye amazon Kindle!
  • Reply 20 of 187
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kill8joy View Post

Pricing sounds about right for a totally NEW Apple product.

I think the pricing sounds cheap for the tablet as I see it.