Okay, wishlisting:

Blu-ray

Arrandale in laptops

Discrete graphics in laptops to make up for the on-die Intel GPU

Clarkfield in iMac

Radeon 5000 series in iMac

Two FW800 ports, please?
  • Reply 22 of 380
    The probably wish they are referring to is BluRay. To me, I could not care less.
  • Reply 23 of 380
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    One thing I noticed about the flat iMacs with the "chin" in a computer lab is several of them had been moved forward and the power cord came out. And the stupid way the cord goes through a hole in the stand made it a pain to plug in. Don't know how to solve that, but they should look into that. Anyone else seen this happen?
  • Reply 24 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Check out Apple performance agains the rest of the industry and you will find out that you are an exception, not the rule. Also check out the customer satisfaction rates.

Agreed.

This thread looks like something you'd see at Winsupersite.

C'mon people, shape up.

The desktop market is DYING. It's in the basement. You honestly think shoving quad cores and big GPUs into iMacs will change anything? You honestly think shoving big specs in the consumer's face will do anything? It's hard enough for the generic box-makers to sell them at lower prices.

Desktops have got to get smaller, thinner, and even more portable. The future is in form and design. The whole "tower" paradigm is getting old, and it shows.
  • Reply 25 of 380
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Apple must be keeping a really tight lid on things if we're a couple weeks away from the long-expected iMac refresh and there are absolutely no details on the machine.

Apple's obsession with the thinness of the iMac will only stop when people stop buying it.

Right now the Mac customer base is being force-fed the iMac or directed toward the laptop line, since the Pro is ridiculously expensive and the Mini is ridiculously underpowered.

If HP or Dell can design a decent customer tower and Windows 7 is well received, things may improve on the Mac desktop side as well. I can't believe I'm actually rooting for Dell to advertise something like the XPS 9000 tower (with Firewire and Adobe CS4) in MacLife and MacWorld, but I can't think of any other way to shake Apple out of its current attitude to desktops.
  • Reply 26 of 380
    I'm just hoping this update of the iMac and MacBook Pro will see the matte, anti-glare option coming back to the full range of Macs. If this does not happen, the matte-loving crowd are going to go bananas, as you can see from the 500+ petition comments at the petition site http://macmatte.wordpress.com. I've got a good feeling about this. Apple's already re-introduced matte to the 17" and 15", and now the complete roll out just needs matte to come back to the iMac, and for the 13" as well. Then everything will be as it should be.
  • Reply 27 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

what are the problems caused by thinness?

my daddy always said you can never be too rich.. Or too thin..
  • Reply 28 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

my daddy always said you can never be too rich.. Or too thin..

Hehe, well said.
  • Reply 29 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Desktops have got to get smaller, thinner, and even more portable. The future is in form and design. The whole "tower" paradigm is getting old, and it shows.

Correction. The future for apple may be in the form factor. The future for PCs is in eating sh1t and dying so that a worthy company can write an OS that at least works.
  • Reply 30 of 380
    I don't care if it's thinner. I want a Corei7 in it before I would feel it's a worthwhile upgrade.
  • Reply 31 of 380
    Quote:

The desktop market is DYING. It's in the basement. You honestly think shoving quad cores and big GPUs into iMacs will change anything? You honestly think shoving big specs in the consumer's face will do anything? It's hard enough for the generic box-makers to sell them at lower prices.

Desktops have been outsold by laptops for awhile. That doesn't mean desktops are dying anymore than the popularity of the web on the iPhone means than laptop market is dying.

Why would "desktops" even need to become more portable?

If you want portability, you buy a laptop.
  • Reply 32 of 380
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hope they don't lower the cost by getting rid of the Alu case. The iMac used to be plastic if I recall.
  • Reply 33 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hell, if they can (...), Radeon 4850 1GB (NOT UNDERCLOCKED) and a 28" screen with BluRay, and make it thinner, well and good, in fact, it would be bl**dy impressive.

Oh, by the way, isn't Apple supposed to eliminate them bad stuff in LCD screens by now? That is, iMacs and MacBooks have to go LED screen by the end of the year...???

Yeah cause the consumers are lining up crying we can't do a damn thing with these miniscule 24" inches (that can't even fit on most desks) and what about those blue ray drives that no one of us is buying any bd disks to begin with.

a 28" led will set you back about $2000.

The only option which we'll probably will not see is the very, very, very long and much anticipated matte imac.
  • Reply 34 of 380
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Desktops have been outsold by laptops for awhile. That doesn't mean desktops are dying anymore than the popularity of the web on the iPhone means than laptop market is dying.

Why would "desktops" even need to become more portable?

If you want portability, you buy a laptop.

friend of mine had an emachines PC that died last week after 5 years or so. he's buying a laptop to replace it even though it will probably never leave the house

you can't surf facebook on a desktop on the couch while watching football
  • Reply 35 of 380
    Quote:

Dying? Not even close. Maybe less popular. But desktops will never die.

Yes, I do think quad cores and big GPUS in an imac will change everything. I buy based on specs. So this would result in me buying an imac. It's the specs that get things done better and faster. Better gaming performance. No current imac is much faster than my desktop that I built 3 years ago for less money. It's the towers that offer the upgrade options. And they are cheaper to build.

When you start using laptop parts prices go up.

I don't see where a desktop needs to get thinner or lighter. Or portable. You aren't moving it around or taking it with you. That's what laptops are for. And if it were thinner you'd have a harder time getting desktop parts in it. Laptop parts are too limited and too expensive.

Besides, it sits under your desk. Who the hell cares what it looks like?

I'd rather have something I can upgrade easily. My desktop now has lasted me for 3 years with only minor upgrades(ram and video card) and I could keep it going years more. I do own a laptop. I bought a cheap $300 acer. I just needed some for use around the house. Mainly in the kitchen for recipes and emails and such. I did want to get a macbook but it's hard to justify the price when I just needed internet access.
  • Reply 36 of 380
    Well Intel just announced they're producing 32nm processors now, and some believe they may be available sometime in the fourth quarter.

Perhaps the new MacBook Pro's and iMacs will get early dibs at new Arrandale chips the same way the Mac Pro got first dibs at Nehalem. I won't be buying another Apple laptop until they do... rendering/ exporting HD video on a two core (two thread) machine is painfully slow.

Actually, I'm not sure what's been more painful... watching my MacBook Pro creep to a standstill while its exporting video, or watching other laptop brands adopt core 2 quads. A two core (four thread) Arrandale processor would be a big help!... and finally justify the "Pro" in MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 37 of 380
    One thing is for sure, the article is right that an update to iMac is coming, since I just bought a new iMac, and whenever I buy something Apple, an upgrade is never more than a couple of months away!

Personally I don't understand the drive to ever thinner designs. I like the look of the iMac, and the lack of cables is great, but running laptop components in a desktop seems weird to me.
  • Reply 38 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

friend of mine had an emachines PC that died last week after 5 years or so. he's buying a laptop to replace it even though it will probably never leave the house

you can't surf facebook on a desktop on the couch while watching football

Absolutely. We've got two laptops in our house. Laptops are very popular now due to Wi-Fi and price.

But that doesn't mean there aren't still a lot of people who want desktop machines.

SOHO business owners, for example, value desktops for power, upgrade and security reasons.
  • Reply 39 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I can't imagine why the iMac needs to be any thinner. What are we supposed to do with all that extra air behind the machine now? Fill it with.... I can't think of anything...

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/backpack-imac-shelf-12-08-2009/

• Reply 40 of 380
    They don't need to make it thinner, they need to make it BETTER - with a non-glossy screen and a real keyboard as well.

Until that happens I won't be getting a new Mac. Ever.