Steve Ballmer: Safari a 'rounding error,' Mac losing market share

Comments

• Reply 21 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

Quite a few large companies have. Including HSBC. Hasn't really made any difference.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mac sales are down this year. Maybe one day Apple will pull out altogether and stick to phones and media players

you're right about mac sales going down.

year over year, they were 8% down for 3rd quarter. But its much less of a fall than the rest of the industry and the only reason is the recession. Compared to the rest of the industry, mac sales are bloody strong.

Well, ya the numbers may be against apple in terms of market share. There were probably more pcs sold than macs. But hell most of those pcs were netbooks and hardly got the manufacturers any profits at all.

In business the only numbers that really matter are those of profits and cold hard cash.

and in the that department, apple is kicking ass. 91% of all compters of $1000 or above sold in the last year were macs. That says quite a bit.

So basically, 91% of the REAL computers sold in the last year were macs.

cmon a Real computer costs at least 1000 dollars. Or at least 800. Anything cheaper than that is basically a netbook, which is basically more of a peripheral device than a proper computer itself.
  • Reply 22 of 219
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Steve Ballmer Delusion Tour:

Ballmer: Apple won?t dominate the smartphone market - September 25, 2009

Microsoft CEO Ballmer gets $25,000 raise as company profit plummets 17% - September 19, 2009

Ballmer grabs Apple iPhone from Microsoft employee and ?stomps? it into ground - September 11, 2009

Steve Ballmer calls Apple?s Mac market share growth a ?rounding error? - July 31, 2009

In a roomful of Macs, Ballmer promises ?really amazing? non-Apple PC hardware coming this Christmas - July 30, 2009

Ballmer attempts to laugh off Google?s Chrome OS challenge - July 14, 2009

Ballmer: Bad economy is good news for us; who?ll pay $500 for an Apple logo now? - March 20, 2009

Who?s afraid of Apple? Not Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer - March 06, 2009

Microsoft CEO Ballmer dismisses Apple?s iPhone as hype, says Windows Mobile has market momentum - February 28, 2009

Update: Office 14 slips to 2010, Microsoft copies Apple some more, Ballmer still nuts - February 24, 2009

House Democratic Caucus resort retreat to host Microsoft CEO Ballmer to talk ?innovation? - February 04, 2009

Ballmer ordered to testify in ?Vista Capable? class-action lawsuit - November 22, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer implicated in ?Vista Capable? debacle - November 14, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer dismisses Google Android as financially unsound - November 06, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer says Windows 7 is Vista, just ?a lot better? - October 17, 2008

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer doesn?t know that Macs can run Windows - October 06, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer advises Apple to separate iPhone hardware and software - October 02, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer: Apple?s iPhone and Mac will lose - September 26, 2008

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer?s retirement date: Never - September 22, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer on why Apple is thriving - July 24, 2008

Ballmer idea drought: Microsoft shareholders concerned - July 24, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer: I?m outta here in 9 or 10 years; as soon as my last kid goes away to college - June 05, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer grilled at Four Seasons resort; Windows 7 yet another attempt to copycat Apple - June 03, 2008

Gates, Ballmer preview Windows 7: Multi-Touch and a Dock; Steve Jobs must be so proud - May 28, 2008

Microsoft CEO Ballmer continues to overstate Zune market share - October 08, 2007

Ballmer: ?Vista doesn?t get done by three people in a garage in three days? - July 27, 2007

Ballmer: R&D is how Microsoft stays ?ahead? - May 24, 2007

Ballmer: ?I run every morning? - May 24, 2007

Microsoft?s Ballmer: ?No chance Apple iPhone is going to get any significant market share? - April 30, 2007

Ballmer: Apple not a hot brand, our partners will make look-alike iPhones, I gotta go - March 27, 2007

Microsoft CEO Ballmer talks infected feet, profuse sweating, and Windows Vista - February 21, 2007

Ballmer says pirates to blame for poor Vista sales - February 19, 2007

Ballmer calls Apple ?cute, little tiny niche guy? - February 15, 2007

Microsoft CEO Ballmer laughs at Apple iPhone - January 17, 2007

Ballmer: Zune?s Wi-Fi will help Microsoft challenge Apple?s iPod+iTunes - November 14, 2006

Ballmer: I?m Microsoft?s ?primary champion of innovation? - July 27, 2006

Microsoft CEO Ballmer spends two days unsuccessfully trying to clean Windows PC malware - June 05, 2006

Couldn?t you just buy a Mac and run Windows? Microsoft CEO Ballmer: ?No, we prefer real PCs? - April 29, 2006

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer admits to brainwashing his kids not to use Apple iPods - March 28, 2006

Microsoft CEO Ballmer promises ?amazing wave of innovation? in 2006 - March 23, 2006

Microsoft?s Ballmer: It?s true, some of Windows Vista?s features are ?kissing cousins? to Mac OS X - September 18, 2005

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: ?We love to be first? - January 25, 2005

Microsoft CEO Ballmer: ?Apple iPod users are music thieves? - October 04, 2004

Microsoft CEO Ballmer on the digital home: ?There is no way that you can get there with Apple? - October 03, 2004

Obsess lately?
  • Reply 23 of 219
    You have to sell a lot of $299 netbooks to make up for one MacBook Pro or iMac. Also how many Windows Mobile phones do they have to get liscenced to make what 1 iPhone makes for Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 219
    We are probably in the last year of Explorer dominance, enjoy it while you can Stevie, and you know it..

Oh and before anyone starts, I'm including mobiles/netbooks, and in particular the sum of webkit.
  • Reply 25 of 219
    When Ballmer is talking about market share being a rounding error, he's talking about browser market share, not OS market share. The latest reports show Safari is at 4% and Chrome is at 3%. Not exactly a rounding error but still a small percentage if you take them separately. If you lump all of the WebKit browsers together, you're still below 8%. What's more interesting and ignored in the interview, is that regardless of the current percentages, IE continues to lose ground. And once Chrome Frame is ready for general consumption I think it will gain significant share - more then the Chrome browser itself.

Having said that, Ballmer still made an incorrect statement. He says they're gaining OS market share against Apple. I haven't seen any market reports that concur with that.

Lastly, this quote surprised me - "The one thing that?s unclear is what?s the economic play for anybody else competing with us at the browser level. Is this all about kind of controlling the search box or is it about something else?". That's just plain ignorance. The entire point of Google competing at the browser level is to make the operating system irrelevant. But to do that, you need to increase the base functionality and performance of the browser. IE is a boat anchor in that effort, which explains Chrome and Chrome Frame.
  • Reply 26 of 219
    Really looking for an answer, why does having the most popular browser matter? They are free and you can't really embed any advertising, that is done by the content provider, so why is this important?

Maybe an indication of computer usage?
  • Reply 27 of 219
    Internet Explorer \t 66.97%

Firefox \t 22.98%

Safari \t 4.07%

Chrome \t 2.84%

Opera \t 2.04%

Source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/brow...e.aspx?qprid=0

And, more to cause Steve's head to explode: http://kottke.org/09/09/kottkeorg-vi...and-statistics
  • Reply 28 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And it?s not really Snow Leopard. It?s really Windows PCs versus Mac."

What a tw@!

Isn't a Mac, by definition, a Windows PC (as all the Windows fans seem to like pointing out) :P

Further proof that Ballmer just doesn't get it.
  • Reply 29 of 219
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    He reminds me of a yappy little insecure dog. Perhaps a Shitzu.
  • Reply 30 of 219
    Ballmer's head is a rounding error.
  • Reply 31 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifiredmyboss.com View Post

You have to sell a lot of $299 netbooks to make up for one MacBook Pro or iMac. Also how many Windows Mobile phones do they have to get liscenced to make what 1 iPhone makes for Apple.

Indeed, and the Windows Mobile market share is dwindling quite quickly. It's all good and well having massive consumer choice, but when nobody wants it, what difference does the choice really make?

The answer...none!
  • Reply 32 of 219
    Apple IS expensive. That's why Microsoft will be around for years to come. I'll enjoy my Mac, but there's Windows for those who can't afford it - which is at least making progress these days.

Google don't present an immediate threat (yet) but they simply cannot be ignored. The future is Google, and that scares me just a little. And to the guy who said 'real computers cost at least $1000. or at least $800', thanks for the laugh!
  • Reply 33 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Internet Explorer \t 66.97%

Firefox \t 22.98%

Safari \t 4.07%

Chrome \t 2.84%

Opera \t 2.04%

Source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/brow...e.aspx?qprid=0

Thanks for that. 'In business, if you aren't growing, you're dying.' That's why MS is advertising against Apple and why Balmer scoffs at Apple. The truth is they're very concerned about Apples gains!
  • Reply 34 of 219
    "Nuthin but hot air from a buffoon!"
  • Reply 35 of 219
    1) There are lots of government agencies that use Macs. NASA has had a long history of mac usership. Nobody is only macs because macs don't have certain mission critical software. There is no hardcore CAD/CAM for the mac. There is no credible PCB layout for the MAC. the list goes on and on.

2) Windows is software, and so much of a computing experience is interactions with the hardware. Apple makes nice hardware that I want to use. I end up running both XP and snow leopard on it to get work done. Regardless of what people say, windows does work and can work very well. I spend 8 hours a day on it at work and am very productive.

3) I find it ironic that the mac hardware designs are done on Windows machines.

Sheldon
  • Reply 36 of 219
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

If I were a MS shareholder, I'd be rather nervous about Ballmer seemingly not taking the threats that Google and Apple pose as far as the internet goes. Google and Apple (and other corporate giants) are pushing free open standards while MS keeps trying to lock everything to a proprietary system. Windows, and especially IE, usage will soon drop as more consumers use other means to access the net. Take the Dell Latitude Z which runs a Linux variant to provide instant on internet and mail. NYT reported that 70% of the time people only used that instead of fully booting into Windows.

I am a MSFT shareholder (as well as AAPL, GOOG, YHOO and others) and frankly, MSFT stock performance is disappointing. Microsoft has never really understood the Internet.

MSFT has basically tracked the S&P 500 index over the past five years. AAPL? +1000% GOOG? +250%

As far as I'm concerned Ballmer is incompetent as CEO. He lacks vision. He was effective as Bill's hatchet man, but he simply can't run the show himself.

The Microsoft Board of Directors should replace Ballmer with someone who can run the company and increase shareholder value.
  • Reply 37 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The most successful by far is Firefox. Chrome is a rounding error to date. Safari is a rounding error to date. But Firefox is not. The fact that there’s a lot of competitors probably is to our advantage. Yeah, we’re right now about 74 percent overall with the browser market, roughly speaking. But we’re having to compete like heck with IE 8, with great new features. The other guys are getting more and more unanticipated competitive attack factors, the thing that Google announced yesterday where they replaced IE but they don’t tell you. I mean that’s how I would say it. For all intents and purposes of what they’re doing IE is not there. It’s their operating system. Instead of now masked as browser, it’s masked as a plug in basically to IE. So, you know, we’re going to have to compete like heck and you know, see where things go. The one thing that’s unclear is what’s the economic play for anybody else competing with us at the browser level. Is this all about kind of controlling the search box or is it about something else?

Here’s Windows and Windows is a very successful product. How do you attack Windows? Well, you attack with the high end, and hardware. That’s an attack. That’s – I won’t call it the Snow Leopard attack. I’ll call it the Mac attack of which Snow Leopard is a piece. You could attack from the side. That’s the Chrome – Firefox attack. You can attack from cheap, from below. You’re not from the side. You’re one on one, but that’s kind of a Linux, Android, presumably Chrome OS, who knows, attack vector. You can attack through phones that grow up. You know, mama don’t let your phones grow up to be PCs or something. I don’t know. But that’s another attack vector. So, you could say how do I feel about all these attack vectors? Strong, I feel very strong here.

I mean, we’re gaining share. Apple is expensive. And in tough economic environment, people get it. Their model is, by definition, expensive. And we’ve actually held or maybe even gained just a tiny bit of share relative to the Mac in the last 12 months. And it’s not really Snow Leopard. It’s really Windows PCs versus Mac.

You’re not from the side. You’re one on one, but that’s kind of a Linux, Android, presumably Chrome OS, who knows, attack vector. You can attack through phones that grow up. You know, mama don’t let your phones grow up to be PCs or something. I don’t know.

They need to not let this guy communicate with the outside world.

May he run Microsoft for many years to come.

ballmer speaks like an undereducated kid. I wonder why Microsoft shareholder allows someone like him stay at the helm of Microsoft.

• Reply 38 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Apple IS expensive. That's why Microsoft will be around for years to come. I'll enjoy my Mac, but there's Windows for those who can't afford it - which is at least making progress these days.

I got myself a few weeks back a pbook g4 12" and it runs everything mac seamlessly, its small, portable has firewire, a beautiful keyboard, 1.25 bg ram, and all these for a the super expensive price of $300. I don't see why a sony netbook at $900 or a crappy dell one at $400 with the shitty intel atom, miniscule keyboard, screen to get myopic reading is a better deal. I don't even see why an average crappy pc at $700 is a better deal than the $999 macbook which is much specked all around has right now a great screen and runs os x, which by definition means about 1000% more productive time for not catering to every awful windows quirk and bad design. Only the times spent by just typing in an item in settings and having appear to you instead of digging in various menus, sub menus, pop ups, sub pop ups to find what you are looking for. You can easily clone your hd and have it boot ready in case of any failure instead of the crappy back up apps that don't even make a decent clone. The list of conveniences is endless...

Well, to each his own.
  • Reply 39 of 219
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

... Windows, and especially IE, usage will soon drop as more consumers use other means to access the net. Take the Dell Latitude Z which runs a Linux variant to provide instant on internet and mail. NYT reported that 70% of the time people only used that instead of fully booting into Windows.

This is very true and under appreciated in general I believe. I know of quite a few people for instance, including myself, that use things like Facebook and Twitter, yet have never owned or used a PC version of either. There are a lot of things, (and the trend will only continue), that people don't need a windows PC for at all. Or a desktop Mac for that matter.

Apple is right to jump to the next device platform now while it's being created. It won't be long before the fact that "Windows owns the corporate desktop" will have no bearing on anything anymore. Even if the balance of people using Windows over Mac doesn't substantially change, there will be more people on the new portable devices running OS-X than there are on both desktop platforms put together.
  • Reply 40 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

He reminds me of a yappy little insecure dog. Perhaps a Shitzu.

yes maybe an inbred shitzu...with some genetic problems...