Apple ads hint at thinner iMacs, lighter MacBooks, cheaper Mac minis

Comments

• Reply 21 of 177
    If the iMac is getting any thinner, then it will almost certainly have to use something equivalent to an Atom processor
  • Reply 22 of 177
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

That's an absurd price, but I assume it includes taxes.

Yes, it does. Tax rate is 20% down here.

Expect the price of the Mini to be $499; as a rule Apple uses the same price in dollars and euros.
  • Reply 23 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Stronger? Is the Macbook getting unibody?

Wrong translation, 'krachtiger' is 'more powerful' and in this case it means a faster processor.

Need a translation of the other text below the second link?
  • Reply 24 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_k View Post

You've actually translated the current description, not the ad...

Did the Mac Mini have a NVIDIA graphics processor before? It says it has an /even faster/ NVIDIA card which indicates to me they're upgrading it.

Edit: 2006 - 2008 versions had the GMA950, Early 2009 model started shipping with 9400M.
  • Reply 25 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Knowing Swedish and German I think "lichter en krachtiger" sounds more like "lighter and more powerful". Krachtiger sounds like "kraftigare" in Swedish, that means "more powerful", "more muscular" or "more capable" etc.

Makes sense to move everything to unibody though I don't think that's what they're saying in the ads.

Correct, 'krachtiger' means 'more powerful'.
  • Reply 26 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interior View Post

Did the Mac Mini have a NVIDIA graphics processor before? It says it has an /even faster/ NVIDIA card which indicates to me they're upgrading it.

The Mini - currently - has a NVIDIA graphics processor; the same as the MacBook and unibody MacBook.

The translation is also correct, so it means that a new faster NVIDIA processor is used.
  • Reply 27 of 177
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

Not sure I see the point in a thinner iMac. It's hard enough to keep it cool as it is now and if they want to put more powerful processors and GPUs inside, how will they keep it cool?

Two reasons: The use of LED displays and the possibly smaller internal components (i.e. 1.8" drives and/or getting rid of optical drives altogether and going for SD). Apple tossed the floppy drive with the first iMac so why not toss the optical or make it optional. Thinner == better.
  • Reply 28 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApple21 View Post

If the iMac is getting any thinner, then it will almost certainly have to use something equivalent to an Atom processor

The current iMacs can handle 55 W CPU so there's still a long way to go.
  • Reply 29 of 177
    As much as I want a new iMac to come out on Monday, a casual glance at these ads gives me the impression that they are old, rather than new. The Mac mini does, indeed, have faster NVidia graphics... the 9400M.
  • Reply 30 of 177
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gadgetoid View Post

As much as I want a new iMac to come out on Monday, a casual glance at these ads gives me the impression that they are old, rather than new. The Mac mini does, indeed, have faster NVidia graphics... the 9400M.

But the price is lower...
  • Reply 31 of 177
    Quote:

That's not an ad he translated. It's an excerpt from Apple's current product page for the mini.

Of course it says "faster Nvidia graphics"- it's said that for months!
  • Reply 32 of 177
    t_kt_k Posts: 11member
    Quote:

You should realize though, that the ad doesn't actually talk about the graphics card at all.
  • Reply 33 of 177
    I'm sorry, I'm sorry. The Apple gods have been angered. They'll all be launched tomorrow. I mean Monday. I mean two days ago!

I want a 24" Apple cinema display to go with a new iMac that doesn't cost £600+ and come with what would be redundant speakers, microphone and camera.
  • Reply 34 of 177
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If the new iMac is only 1099 Euros, does that mean no Nehalem?
  • Reply 35 of 177
    Hi

In Spain in google.es, I have checked they advertised the new Imac as IMAC Air.

There is 2 ads. In the one they advertised it as the new Imac Air and in another one they advertised a new starting price of 1003Â? when at the moment the starting price is 1099Â?

HEre is the copy of the ad

Tienda Apple Mac Oficial

store.apple.com/es/imac Configura tu iMac Air aquÃ*. ¡Ahora incluye Mac OS Snow Leopard!

It looks there is no a long time to wait!!!

Adios from España!!
  • Reply 36 of 177
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Let's not forget that Fudzilla

Quote:

"ION 2 should launch toward the end of the year, but Nvidia doesn?t want to talk too much about it, as it still plans to sell many original ION chips.

Our industry sources have told us that the new, shrunk version of ION, probably branded as ION 2, should have much faster graphics and much more shaders. We don?t believe that the thermals will change that much, but we?ve heard that ION 2 will have more than double the number of shaders of the original Geforce 9400M /MCP79 /ION chip.

Since ION has 16 shaders , or processors as Nvidia calls them these days, you should expect that the new one has more than 32. This will get much better gaming to netbooks and nettops based on ION 2 which is definitely something you cannot say no to and at the same time Cuda applications might run faster, in case you found one that matter to you.

ION 2 should be launching by the end of the year."]ON 2 should launch toward the end of the year, but Nvidia doesn?t want to talk too much about it, as it still plans to sell many original ION chips.

Our industry sources have told us that the new, shrunk version of ION, probably branded as ION 2, should have much faster graphics and much more shaders. We don?t believe that the thermals will change that much, but we?ve heard that ION 2 will have more than double the number of shaders of the original Geforce 9400M /MCP79 /ION chip.

Since ION has 16 shaders , or processors as Nvidia calls them these days, you should expect that the new one has more than 32. This will get much better gaming to netbooks and nettops based on ION 2 which is definitely something you cannot say no to and at the same time Cuda applications might run faster, in case you found one that matter to you.

ION 2 should be launching by the end of the year.

What is Ion2 the follow on to the 9400M also called MCP89
  • Reply 37 of 177
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interior View Post

Translation of the ad:

Mac Mini has an even faster NVIDIA graphics processor now, it can easily run the newest 3D-games and demanding graphical applications...

that is a reference to the current model
  • Reply 38 of 177
    People don't need thinner iMacs but quad-core!
  • Reply 39 of 177
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Announcement Tuesday with availability by Friday at the latest.
  • Reply 40 of 177
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

People don't need thinner iMacs but quad-core!

and matte screens.