Apple TV 3.0 software update to support iTunes LP, Extras

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Don't think I can justify $30 a pop for a disc just yet....except for may Alien, The Thing and latest installments of the James Bond movies with Daniel Craig.

Best!

This is a common misconception. Unless you are buying Blu-ray movies at your local Best Buy or Walmart, you shouldn't be paying $30 per title. I get all my Blu-ray movies from Amazon. I get free shipping and pay $20-$25 on average. I just got Ice Age 3 for $23.50 and that included a DVD and a digital copy in addition to the Blu-ray copy.
  • Reply 22 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

Bluray is pointless given that one can watch a bluray movie for free on an apple TV.

Except that one can't watch a Blu-ray movie on an AppleTV. Last time I checked, both iMovie and Compressor insist on outputting 960x540 resolution to my AppleTV. I have had success playing 720/24p files, but the AppleTV will not play (only up-convert to) 1080/60p. It will also not support DolbyTrue HD or DTS-HD Master Audio. And by the way, where are you getting Blu-ray movies fro free (legally)?
  • Reply 23 of 112
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Anyone with an Apple TV use Safari HD?

If so, how easy or hard is it to install? What's your opinion of it? What are it's limitations compared to Safari.

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2008/02/...now-available/

I've been planning to get a mini to use as media hub for HT. My old G5 is getting long in the tooth so I think I'll be needing to put my money into a new 'real' computer to use for taking work home instead of the mini as an addition to HT. I was going to do both, but money is tight. If I can save money and get an Apple TV that can browse the web in the living room instead of a mini, that would suit me.

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 24 of 112
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Yes my ATV is the heart of entertainment in my house. It is the best media player ever devised no question.

The update does nothing for me, however, as everything we own is pirated and we never buy anything from iTunes.

This likely isn't the only update in a major point revision. This is simply an iTunes licence that makes reference to future software version for ATV. Maybe there are other things that will be worthwhile to you.

Also, why do some people still flaunt piracy like it is a badge of honor? Anyone can do it now. Maybe it was "cool" when it was the new thing, an people were rebelling. I think we've moved past that point now. It is far more impressive if you actually pay for the stuff you want despite the availability of pirated copies.
  • Reply 25 of 112
    Hmm, a 3.0 update really should have more than just this enhanced LP format. The transition from 1.x to 2.0 was major. Adding support for some additional album artwork seems like a minor rev .x upgrade to me.

That being the case, here's hoping there's a lot more coming. TV rental would be (for me) huge. I've said this several times so it's probably getting boring, but my AppleTV was purchased to save me money on a cable TV subscription. I watch very few shows and for the cost of HD cable and a DVR (about $1200/year) I could purchase about 30 season passes. In reality, I watch about five shows at a total cost of less than $200 per year.

I'd pay twice that if I could rent TV shows considering (with very few exceptions) I only watch these shows once.
  • Reply 26 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Besides, the AppleTV has a different purpose.

What is the purpose of the AppleTV? I am thinking of buying one. Do you think one day it will include the TV itself?

Who is Mr.H?
  • Reply 27 of 112
    I don't think this news is that surprising.

The big question for me was not whether iTunes LPs and Extras were coming to the Apple TV, but rather, how we will navigate them.

Is that new remote control Apple introduced going to be bundled with the Apple TV? Does it have functionality we're not aware of, say, Wii-like pointer functionality?

Is there a different remote that will bring Wii-like pointer functionality?

Are they simply going to bundle in an iPod touch (doubt it)?

I noticed something else today too that may or may not be new or related:

http://img265.yfrog.com/i/inw.png/

(Or click HERE to see an enlarged image.)

Browsing the Apple Online Store from within the iTunes Store (by clicking the link annotated in THIS screenshot).
  • Reply 28 of 112
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

Then you're an idiot.

Hey now! Don't cut down idiots like that!

• Reply 29 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Hmm, a 3.0 update really should have more than just this enhanced LP format. The transition from 1.x to 2.0 was major. Adding support for some additional album artwork seems like a minor rev .x upgrade to me.

That is a solid assumption. I certainly got wrapped up in the v3.0 headline, but assumed that with iTuneLP a lot of other changes would be coming, too. This does sound like a minor update.

PS: Xbox 360 is in beta testing of Twitter and Facebook. Would Apple just add it without adding legal information about how they are not responsible for the content?
  • Reply 30 of 112
    Quote:

Yes my ATV is the heart of entertainment in my house. It is the best media player ever devised no question.

The update does nothing for me, however, as everything we own is pirated and we never buy anything from iTunes.

For Shame! But while were on the subject, does anyone know if it's possible to create iTunes LP type content? Say for something I cooked up on GarageBand?
  • Reply 31 of 112
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I'm definitely in the market for an Apple TV, I'm excited to see when\\if they roll out an updated model. For my own sake, I hope Gene is right this time.

I still believe that the next incarnation of an AppleTV will be integrated with a LG supplied TV. I don't see a future for an independent box as it is.

Plus, I don't listen to Piper Jaffray, unless I plan to buy or sell some AAPL. Because they are always trying to manipulate the stock price with their "insights."
  • Reply 32 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

For Shame! But while were on the subject, does anyone know if it's possible to create iTunes LP type content? Say for something I cooked up on GarageBand?

Sure - contact Apple and give them the $10,000 licensing fee and you're good-to-go
  • Reply 33 of 112
    I would love to see the new ATV 3.0 have support for broadcasters' catch-up TV services. Probably won't happen though as it would surely affect iTunes sales
  • Reply 34 of 112
    The AppleTV is in need of a significant hardware improvement. It absolutely needs to be able to play 1080p movies. Anything short of this is a failure. Additionally, Apple needs to open up the USB port for local storage. I could care less about iTunes LP. Apple will probably not address these issues and wonder why it's still just a "hobby" for them.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Try this site

http://ituneslp.net/
  • Reply 36 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

apple has updated the itunes store terms and conditions to reference a forthcoming 3.0 software update for the apple tv, which will allow viewing of itunes lp and itunes extras content.

The new paragraph under the "itunes lp and itunes extras" section references an update to apple's set-top box hobby: "itunes lp and itunes extras products are usable only on computers with itunes 9 or higher and apple tv with software version 3.0 or higher."

the new itunes lp format, which debuted in september, is designed to encourage sales of full-length albums. The new format comes with additional content such as photos, videos and other bonus material. The itunes lp format was joined by itunes extras, which delivers bonus materials for movies, much like are traditionally found on dvds.

The tunekit javascript framework on which both are based uses open web standards like html and css. Appleinsider originally reported in september that the new format appeared to have apple tv written all over it.

Tunekit content is designed for a 1280 by 720 pixel resolution, which is too large to play on the 13-inch macbook pro without entering full-screen mode. But it does exactly fit the hdtv output resolution of apple tv, and could even scale down to a 480p display.

In addition, the tunekit format includes references in its html meta tags to "hdtv-fullscreen" and "hdtv-cursor-off."

the last major update to the apple tv was when the "take two" 2.0 firmware was released at macworld expo in january 2008. The next major update is expected to incorporate features of snow leopard, including quicktime x and its http live streaming protocol.

This summer, analyst gene munster with piper jaffray reiterated his belief that a new apple tv with itunes tv show subscriptions and potential dvr capabilities would eventually arrive from the hardware maker. He said the timing of a new hardware debut would likely be impacted by the negotiations apple would need to conduct in order to have the rights to offer a subscription model. Munster said he believes a new apple tv or updated apple tv software will arrive within the next year.

magic mouse just arrived at all apple stores!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by another_steve View Post

The AppleTV is in need of a significant hardware improvement. It absolutely needs to be able to play 1080p movies. Anything short of this is a failure. Additionally, Apple needs to open up the USB port for local storage. I could care less about iTunes LP. Apple will probably not address these issues and wonder why it's still just a "hobby" for them.

Totally in agreement with you here. Gotta be able to do 1080p and have the use of the USB port for storage expansion. My 160GB unit is almost maxed out as it is. I know I can stream stuff to it, but I like having the ability of being able to use it without any computers running.
  • Reply 38 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Sure - contact Apple and give them the $10,000 licensing fee and you're good-to-go

Oh really?

A simple google search can also show you how to make one now if you don't need to distribute it through the iTunes Store.

Edit: No need for google. pats provided a link.
  • Reply 39 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by another_steve View Post

A little birdie tells me 1080p ATV in late January, along with the Tablet announcement. Marking the start of Apples assault on the living room in earnest with what will become an annual video event, much like the iPod/iTunes music event in the fall. Or I could be completely wrong as I have absolutely nothing to base this on except for the fact that it seems logical.
  • Reply 40 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

A little birdie tells me 1080p ATV in late January, along with the Tablet announcement. Marking the start of Apples assault on the living room in earnest with what will become an annual video event, much like the iPod/iTunes music event in the fall. Or I could be completely wrong as I have absolutely nothing to base this on except for the fact that it seems logical.

So a little birdie told you nothing then?