Apple releases Apple TV 3.0 software with redesigned interface

Comments

• Reply 121 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IrishMac219 View Post

I updated both iTunes and AppleTv and iTunes Extras doesn't work. Is anyone else having a problem with this?

I'm having this problem, I can't figure out how you access LP features either?
  • Reply 122 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I often have to stick my ear right next to it to tell if it's on or not.

I just keep a pot of water on top of my @tv: if the water's boiling, then it's on.
  • Reply 123 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Direct TV does.

Yeah, with a miserable handful of offerings. The point is, given the quality of transmission pipes today, 1080p still largely theoretical from the standpoint of big time.
  • Reply 124 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Whomever at Apple decided to put "My ___ " to the top of the list and add a search for those files is pure genius. Why hadn't anybody heard of or requested that before? Apple keeps pushing the envelope!

You may want to check JeffDM's memo (#101 above). Seriously.
  • Reply 125 of 150
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IrishMac219 View Post

I updated both iTunes and AppleTv and iTunes Extras doesn't work. Is anyone else having a problem with this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheYoshi View Post

I'm having this problem, I can't figure out how you access LP features either?

Amazingly, you'll have to wait for Apple to update the content, then re-download it (assuming it would be at no additional cost).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3938
  • Reply 126 of 150
    Quote:

Amazingly, you'll have to wait for Apple to update the content, then re-download it (assuming it would be at no additional cost).

Why is that surprising?
  • Reply 127 of 150
    Quote:

Thanks for that information. Looks like I will be waiting awhile.
  • Reply 128 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whimvestor View Post

I just keep a pot of water on top of my @tv: if the water's boiling, then it's on.

My cat uses it to warm up her paws.
  • Reply 129 of 150
    iladilad Posts: 39member
    okay the burning question for me is does this work with iTunes 8.2.x for mac or do oyu have to have 9.0.2 for it to work?

I downgraded to iTunes 8 after making the huge mistake of upgrading to iTunes 9-man what a suckfest.
  • Reply 130 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

160GB, totally quiet. Maybe he needs to re-glue it to the top of the case.

Ohhhh, that's a possibility. A low one, but a possibility. The sound is like a mosquito, my guess is that mechanical fixture won't effect it (like low vibes would).

Maury
  • Reply 131 of 150
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Did the upgrade....The radio stations and new interface are all working, but the Photos section seems unchanged...Where are the new Faces and Places features located?
  • Reply 132 of 150
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Did the upgrade....The radio stations and new interface are all working, but the Photos section seems unchanged...Where are the new Faces and Places features located?

Is it a MobileMe only feature? I'm viewing pictures both on the Apple TV and on Flickr... Do you need to own a Mac and iPhoto in order to use? The machine I synch it with is a PC.
  • Reply 133 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Nope. 1080P is true HD. 720P is for the cheap guys. Fox is 720 (I think still) and even Sony tried to get away with it at first. Apple is falling behind.

In one famous test, a group of well known audiophiles were taken to hear a new speaker cable. After showing them how it was built and giving the usual tech spiel, they all agreed that there was definitely some more "brightness" to the new cables. However, the testers had actually replaced the cables with un-bent coat hangers, and then revealed this. Much consternation ensued.

In test after test after test, viewers cannot tell the difference between 720 and 1080 when compressed from the same original source to the same bit rate. What DOES matter is the compression, as all of us ATV owners are more than aware of.

Do you even know why there are two standards? It's because Ronald Reagan saw a demo of MUSE in Japan and freaked out, starting a program in the US to build a similar but incompatible analog HD format. You think I'm making this up, don't you?

But making an analog HD format is not easy. With four times the content you have four times the bandwidth, and MUSE's tradeoffs are questionable. Basically they only send HD for still images, and anything moving gets seriously degraded. Like SERIOUSLY. To the point where sports started looking like absolute pants, worse than conventional NTSC.

So someone at Zenith went to AT&T and asked them if they could come up with something better. Since the biggest problem had to do with motion artifacts and interlacing, they decided the proper solution was to use a progressive-scan system at the same refresh rate, thus basically doubling the effective frame rate.

Worse, 1080p still used up two channels, in an era when the number of free channels was disappearing at a furious rate. 720 used up 1.5. So there was some SERIOUS market interest.

When 720p went head-to-head against 1080i in testing, it won every single quality test hands down, if there was motion. The lack of flicker, especially on larger screens, was also widely noted. That's why 720 even exists, because at one point in time it had clearly better pictures.

Ahhh, but times change. Now the whole concept of interlace is a joke. Our TV's pull down both frames and apply DSP algos to de-line them, and display everything "progressive" on a display where the idea of "refresh" isn't what it used to be.

So everyone looks at the numbers and is utterly convinced that higher resolution means better picture. In fact, in most cases any differences between the two are due to differing levels of compression.
  • Reply 134 of 150
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I'm one who does (Boxee makes the already useful TV infinitely better: DivX support, Pandora, Last.FM, Hulu, etc) and as such will have to hold off on the update for now.

I've loaded Boxee twice onto my ATV under different version of the software and it was so flakey or didn't even bring up the Boxee screen at all. I was hoping it would have worked but it failed miserably. Have things changed?
  • Reply 135 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

I've loaded Boxee twice onto my ATV under different version of the software and it was so flakey or didn't even bring up the Boxee screen at all. I was hoping it would have worked but it failed miserably. Have things changed?

I had that problem with one particular version (can't remember which), but lately it's been pretty reliable. I use the ATVFlash package though FWIW.
  • Reply 136 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

It's just like iTunes... we're on what version 9! It should be version 6 at most...

Maybe they hurried it along so they could release an iTunes X, to go along with Quicktime X.
  • Reply 137 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

As an AppleTV owner I have to say .. WTF?

I often have to stick my ear right next to it to tell if it's on or not. An AppleTV should not make any noise at all. If yours does, it's either faulty or someones fiddled with it by putting in a noisy crap drive or something.

I bought a first generation one. It's hard drive is silent quiet, however when it gets hot from being left on, it will freeze up. It usually happens when I'm in the middle of a movie and get asked to pause it. When I go to un-pause it's froze and I have to pull the plug and put it in front of a fan to cool it down. It get VERY hot to the touch after being plugged in for a few hours. I tend to leave it unplugged because of this. If it's plugged in fresh, I can usually watch a couple of movies without issue. I just need to remember to unplug it after that. Anyone else have this issue?
  • Reply 138 of 150
    I would love to see a "Queue" feature. I'm always bummed to see that a movie isn't rentable until such and such a date. I can never remember what the date is and find my self going into rent it and it's still not ready. It would be nice to save it to a queue list and be reminded when it's ready for renting. This would also be nice for any movie for that matter. Just build a list and be able to prioritize the list for which you want first.
  • Reply 139 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

pretty in pink was such an amathing movie

I recently saw an overweight Ringwald on an Outer Limits episode and she was no longer so pretty in pink.
  • Reply 140 of 150
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Are iTunes LP files supposed to work with the Apple TV now, as mine don't. They just play as regular music files wih static cover art...

Curious, and disappointing.