Tablet rumors: February production start, 10-inch LCD screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    It'll be $800 to a $1000 at launch, maybe more. Apple doesn't sell things at a loss. I expect there will be two versions a la iTouch/iPhone so the more expensive version will probably be subsidised if bought with contract.

Its a breakthrough device - its bound to be costly at birth. They still won't be able to make enough of them.
  • Reply 22 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

i know quite a few people with an iphone, most of them not apple geeks etc, most of them not even apple computer users. they're all happy with the iphone, but not one of them has any interest yet in buying a tablet. of course they may become interested if and when it is announced, but right now none of these non-geeks can see a point in a tablet

as the other poster stated: the interest in a "new phone" was there before iphone was released, many of us felt we were lacking an intelligent, well designed phone, but not many people feel they are lacking a tablet in their daily lives. most i've talked to ask me "i have a laptop and an iphone already, why would i want a third device to carry around, a computer without a keyboard but too big to put in my pocket?"

when i iphone was launched, it was clear why it was desirable.

To you and to me it was clear, but truth be told, to many it wasn't. Ballmer certainly expressed his opinion publicly enough. I predict a similar reaction to the Tablet. In a few years from now, in hindsight, many late adopters will be won over eventually by Apple's success, design, features and quality. Many early adopters will reiterate your last paragraph about the tablet as they saw a clear need... and of course many Apple fans, like me, just had to have one what-ever lol.
  • Reply 23 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The Apple tablet stands to do nothing. The "plenty of people" you refer to are the tech geeks and Apple fanbois. About 5 million people who live in the U.S. That's nothing. Its a drop in the bucket. That's exactly what Apple could count on if was an Apple Logo Turntable being released instead.

The fan base is not a market. The fan base is not a market. The fan base is not a market.

The only reason for Apple's break out success with the iPhone, as an Apple product, is that its a PHONE. One of the most popular types of devices, and one of the largest retail markets in the world. Larger than the PC which they've already struggled to make headway in.

They designed an excellent phone, and have sold a LOT. They will continue to. However. Apple did not create Mobile Phone Buyers, or the market they buy in. They were already there, desperately waiting for a great product to come along.

Where is the market for this device thats waiting for greatness to come? It's not there, And a $1000, its nothing more than a fantasy.

I recall being told many times in this forum, pre iPhone release, that the reason Apple's entry into the phone market was doomed was because the market did already exist and therefore they didn't stand a chance. Now in hindsight the argument is being reversed by you.

I will wait to see but I suspect Apple is about to create an entirely new ecosystem / market for the Tablet that will attract way more than the 5 million you claim - actually now 5 million and 1 (I moved from UK to USA lol).
  • Reply 24 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

agreed... you might as well buy a macbook for that price?

You buy a tablet because you want to compute in places that don't have desks for a clamshell computer and/or benefit more from touch/pen interaction than keyboard interaction.

Saying 'you might as well buy a macbook' is like telling someone that they might as well buy a Laptop instead of a smartphone.

They're different things with very different use cases.

Frankly, the thing has to cost ~$1000. Because it's going to eat into MacBook sales in a very real way.
  • Reply 25 of 113
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

To you and to me it was clear, but truth be told, to many it wasn't. Ballmer certainly expressed his opinion publicly enough. I predict a similar reaction to the Tablet. In a few years from now, in hindsight, many late adopters will be won over eventually by Apple's success, design, features and quality. Many early adopters will reiterate your last paragraph about the tablet as they saw a clear need... and of course many Apple fans, like me, just had to have one what-ever lol.

truth told, i am still wondering what exactly the rumoured tablet might be capable of, a feature that i really need... can't think of much. except maybe an interesting multi-touch input device for live music performance (like the lemur, but lighter and cheaper)

with the iphone it was pretty clear what i needed (mail, internet, sync calendars, ipod etc) , and it delivered a whole lot more (eg app store).

the tablet: apart from the novelty of a new apple device, what unknown desire could it fulfill ? :-)

excited, but scratching my head...
  • Reply 26 of 113
    Quote:

The Apple tablet stands to do nothing. The "plenty of people" you refer to are the tech geeks and Apple fanbois. About 5 million people who live in the U.S. That's nothing. Its a drop in the bucket. That's exactly what Apple could count on if was an Apple Logo Turntable being released instead.

The fan base is not a market. The fan base is not a market. The fan base is not a market.

The only reason for Apple's break out success with the iPhone, as an Apple product, is that its a PHONE. One of the most popular types of devices, and one of the largest retail markets in the world. Larger than the PC which they've already struggled to make headway in.

They designed an excellent phone, and have sold a LOT. They will continue to. However. Apple did not create Mobile Phone Buyers, or the market they buy in. They were already there, desperately waiting for a great product to come along.

Where is the market for this device thats waiting for greatness to come? It's not there, And a $1000, its nothing more than a fantasy.

When Apple released the very first iPod it cost $500, and people screamed that it was doomed because there was no market for MP3 players. Apple knows how to create a new market.
  • Reply 27 of 113
    My guess is that the "average selling price of $1000" is what Apple will recognize as revenue, not what the consumer will pay: That will be closer to $600 - $700, because of the possible carrier subsidy (presumably, the Tablet will have Edge/3G?).
  • Reply 28 of 113
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    This sounds very interesting. I am looking forward to seeing what specs this Apple tablet may have..
  • Reply 29 of 113
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    The device promises to be of extreme interest simply due to the fact that it's evidently gonna implement stylus input via capacitive multi-touch screen.
  • Reply 30 of 113
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    1k, stop yer bitchin an don't buy it.

I'll put my name down for one now thanks.

Hope it is fluid proof, I don't want the possibility of my lunch spilling on it on the way to work. Watermelon (or worst beetroot) manages to find some way to leak out of it's packaging onto my books sometimes grr.
  • Reply 31 of 113
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My guess is that the "average selling price of $1000" is what Apple will recognize as revenue, not what the consumer will pay: That will be closer to $600 - $700, because of the possible carrier subsidy (presumably, the Tablet will have Edge/3G?).

As psyched as I am about this long-rumored tablet, I'm certainly not looking forward to another potential monthly expense. Unless, of course, they let you add it to your existing iPhone data plan for another $10-$15/month.
  • Reply 32 of 113
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 25+ years on a Mac View Post

Why would anyone want to buy the tablet for $1000? I'd rather buy a MacBook for that price. If it's in the typical netbook price range, say $400-600, then I'd consider purchasing it.

Netbooks that actually work and actually sell in the marketplace are really more in the 600-800 price range.

People always claim they got such and such netbook for some ridiculously low price but the ones that work are always at least $600. I would expect Apple's to be in the top end of the category as usual and come in at about $800. Unless that rumour of a "ridiculously cheap" price point is true then we are talking $650.
  • Reply 33 of 113
    I'm predicting that it will have a transreflective LCD. Great for outdoors and indoors viewing. No need for eink's monochrome slow refresh rate.
  • Reply 34 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Appleinsider

"Contacts in the U.S. tell us Apple is approaching book publishers with a very attractive proposal for distributing their content," Reiner said. "Apple will split revenue 30/70 (Apple/publisher); give the same deal to all comers; and not request exclusivity. We believe the typical Kindle split is 50/50, rising to 30/70 if Kindle is given ebook exclusivity."

I thought it was a 70/30 in Amazon?s favour. If so, then the 30/70 in the publisher?s favour would be a much better. Plus, even though the Kindle has some success it?s only sold on one store and it?s quite pathetic from a CE standpoint. As is the Nook, from the reviews I?ve read. The best ones I?ve seen, yet still flawed, are the Sony eReaders. I think making a colour device with rich media capabilities is much more marketable. I just hope they get the UI right.

Quote:

Wow I had no idea the Apple tablet was going to fail...

Because it will at $1000

Ballmer is that you? j/k But that is sounding a lot like what he said about the iPhone.

Quote:

The only reason for Apple's break out success with the iPhone, as an Apple product, is that its a PHONE. One of the most popular types of devices, and one of the largest retail markets in the world.

Back in 2007 that EXACT argument was used as proof that the iPhone would fail. Such an entrenched, well developed market that the expensive iPhone could not possibly succeed in getting 1% of the handset market. Now it?s not flagship phone in the world that all phones are measured by, it?s copied by everyone, it accounts for 15% of the ?super-mega-mega-high-tech? S. Korean smartphone market, and takes in more profit than any other handset maker in the world. All in just over 2 years of operation.

I?m not sure we should counting an Apple tablet out just yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Yeah, I agree with and most posting here. 400-600 and I'd by it. Anything more than that....my iphone will will suffice

I know many people that had no interest in smartphones prior to the iPhone. Most of these never paid more than $50 for a cheap phone from their carrier but now have a 16GB or 32GB iPhone.

I think a tablet can work on two different type so users, and within those two types there are two types, for a total of 4 types of users and thus 4 basic types of users.
    1) WiFi-only, high NAND for heavy A/V media user? $900

2) WiFi-only, small NAND for heavy reading user ? $700

3) 3GSM+WiFi, high NAND for heavy A/V media user? $500

4) 3GSM+WiFi, small NAND for heavy reading user ? $400

(These price points and user types are very, very generalized)

I?d like to see a 64GB or 128GB device and have a 3GSM chip for remote data access. Having a USB port so i can potentially stick in a big cellular data stick isn?t going to cut it. Others simply won?t want or need that much data or mobile network operator access. I think Apple really is in a pinch here with a device that needs to work for 4 distant groups out of the gate.

edit: Pipped by Digitalclips.

PS: One more Teckstud-free day. Enjoy it!
  • Reply 35 of 113
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:

This is solid analysis. Nicely done.
  • Reply 36 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

As psyched as I am about this long-rumored tablet, I'm certainly not looking forward to another potential monthly expense. Unless, of course, they let you add it to your existing iPhone data plan for another $10-$15/month.

That price point isn?t likely. Data plans is usually $30 and above for cellphones. Data-only packages for PCs and PC like devices are $60/month. Even adding tethering ups the additional charge to the phone by $30 in the US.

I can? imagine that everyone wants to pay for data so I?d wager it will be an optional charge, but you?ll have to pay the additional $300(?) if you don?t.
  • Reply 37 of 113
    3 words: multitouch, multitask, multiuse

it will be compelling for three reasons

unlike a notebook, it is a completely different form factor that will make it useful in different ways. Does your notebook have multitouch imput? Can you use it comfortably while walking around? Does it have GPS?

You can use an iPhone while walking around however you are constrained in two major ways. The screen is small and limits the amount and quality of the information on screen. Second, the device doesnt do true multitasking. You can't open up two emails and compare them or text while surfing the web. The larger display combined with more powerful hardware is going to make it attractive to power users. Mobile proffesionals and hospitals will love it.

Finally, it will be successful because it will be a multiuse device. Unlike the kindle and nook which are dumb tablets, the Apple tablet will be a smart Tablet. That can do a lot more than just a few basic functions. Once you combine the great apple harware + apple OS + creative developers, we will see a 100,000 uses for a large tablet that will drive sales and kill the competition.
  • Reply 38 of 113
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That price point isn?t likely. Data plans is usually $30 and above for cellphones. Data-only packages for PCs and PC like devices are $60/month. Even adding tethering ups the additional charge to the phone by $30 in the US.

I can? imagine that everyone wants to pay for data so I?d wager it will be an optional charge, but you?ll have to pay the additional $300(?) if you don?t.

Allowing the device to be tethered would be a better option for connectivity I would have thought (with the compliance of carriers of course). I can't understand why one should be expected to maintain two accounts with telcos. \

While Apple is at it, a nice docking slot for an iPhone, the functionality of which would be subsumed by the tablet (did I say tablet?) while docked.
  • Reply 39 of 113
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

You are correct that a fan base alone is not a market. The product still has to be good. You are however wrong about Apple creating markets, well a much better term would be expanding on markets. Many people have switched from a "dumb phone" to a smart phone because of the iPhone. Many of those people had never even considered a smart phone before. The smart phone market is much larger now. Smart phone sales are up, other sales are down and Apple is driving that trend.

An Apple tablet falls into the computer and PMP market as much as the iPhone falls into the phone market. So there is a market for it if we use your broad definition of a market. Diving a little deeper, and closer to the true market, we are seeing the emergence of tablet devices on the mass market. Archos has a whole product line, the joojoo is coming (and is $500 for a web device), ebook readers are adding LCD touch screens, magazine publishers are readying tablet friendly digital magazines, etc. If there wasn't a potential market there, none of this would be happening. An Apple tablet would likely split that market wide open. Although I also think $1000 is a little high, it would probably still sell at that price. The iPhone sold at $600 before it was carrier subsidized, some people still pay more for one now if they are still under contract. Apple of course sold many more iPhones once the price dropped. Even if a tablet started at $1000, it could go down in price at a later date, further driving sales.

PS. You are looking at mac sales the wrong way. Apple is going quite well, considering they are a manufacturer of premium computers, not an OS distributer.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

This is solid analysis. Nicely done.

WRONG

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

3 words: multitouch, multitask, multiuse

it will be compelling for three reasons

unlike a notebook, it is a completely different form factor that will make it useful in different ways. Does your notebook have multitouch imput? Can you use it comfortably while walking around? Does it have GPS?

You can use an iPhone while walking around however you are constrained in two major ways. The screen is small and limits the amount and quality of the information on screen. Second, the device doesnt do true multitasking. You can't open up two emails and compare them or text while surfing the web. The larger display combined with more powerful hardware is going to make it attractive to power users. Mobile proffesionals and hospitals will love it.

Finally, it will be successful because it will be a multiuse device. Unlike the kindle and nook which are dumb tablets, the Apple tablet will be a smart Tablet. That can do a lot more than just a few basic functions. Once you combine the great apple harware + apple OS + creative developers, we will see a 100,000 uses for a large tablet that will drive sales and kill the competition.

Exactly. Sometimes I have to wonder why is it so difficult for some people to comprehend this?