Apple to delay iMac orders, citing display issues

24

Comments

  • brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post


    Wait a minute! Where in this article did they mention anything about the cracked screen issue? You're almost three weeks too late to talk about the cracks. The article on the cracks was posted on November 24 - http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ased_imac.html



    Your post almost makes it look like you are trolling. Be careful & be nice!



    must be a full moon or something
  • crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    must be a full moon or something



    that or too much Jack Daniels on an empty stomach.
  • davegeedavegee Posts: 2,766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post


    This is a shocker in more ways than one! If as you say, and I have no reason to disagree with you, that they are considered refurbished after they have been repaired regardless of their sales status, I wonder then what their price will be and will any of the refurbs be sold through ClubMac?



    When my wife hears this she's gonna have even a bigger reason to be glad she hasn't given the nod to purchasing one yet. I gotta listen to her more often. She is freaky smart when it comes to spending money wisely!!



    If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to see it then does it make a sound?



    I mean really.... if it has the full support and warrantee then I'm not sure I understand the whole worry... and no I would think that if the item in question has never been sold then Apple would be free to repair the defect and sell the item as new... but then again who knows...



    But it seems to make sense, I mean the last new car you purchased... who knows if a brick fell from the ceiling of the factory and smashed the window and then the company simply replaced it... are you saying that something is inherently wrong with the car once the glass was replaced??!?!
  • angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post


    that or too much Jack Daniels on an empty stomach.



    Or more likely he/she is remembering a previous posting from AI that said 27" iMac's are shipping with cracked or chipped screens.



    How can that even remotel be called trolling?



    If you have been on the Apple's site or the site that CNet reported on from a Mac user that brought this to the attention of the media you'd know there are multiple problems being reported by all new iMac users.



    Cnet Link

    http://imac.squeaked.com/index.php



    To belittle a poster for calling this out and calling him a TROLL is pathetic.
  • grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member, moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post


    that or too much Jack Daniels on an empty stomach.



    Please stay on topic everyone. I've warned the user for his off-topic and off-colour language.



    As for refurbs: I have worked in the supply chain side of retail and there is indeed such a thing as factory refurbs. HP is famous for them (they have a high throughput to business and their QA catches most of their defects prior to delivery.)



    So yes, there can be models that have never seen a retail store or a consumers hands that are marked as "refurbished".
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markdo View Post


    Have a 27" i7 iMac... Ordered October 20, Delivered Nov 13.



    Perfect. No Display Issues



    My dad got one in the UK last week and has no issues. He got the top of the range 27", I'd assume there are problems with a specific model given there are a few different graphics options ... or is this across all types?
  • angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    My dad got one in the UK last week and has no issues. He got the top of the range 27", I'd assume there are problems with a specific model given there are a few different graphics options ... or is this across all types?



    Apple will never do a product recall during the holiday season and will more than likely handle it through warranty. Better hope your dad's goes out before warranty ends.



    If Apple is apologizing during the holiday season it likely means the entire product line is bad.



    They would never chance losing holiday sales for something that has become common for a first gen product from Apple.
  • crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post


    If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to see it then does it make a sound?



    I mean really.... if it has the full support and warrantee then I'm not sure I understand the whole worry... and no I would think that if the item in question has never been sold then Apple would be free to repair the defect and sell the item as new... but then again who knows...



    But it seems to make sense, I mean the last new car you purchased... who knows if a brick fell from the ceiling of the factory and smashed the window and then the company simply replaced it... are you saying that something is inherently wrong with the car once the glass was replaced??!?!



    My Bad.



    I only meant that if I had gotten one with the flicker issue I never would have heard the end of it. It isn't very easy to deal with a mad tight-wad.



    Myself, I have no problem at all with the possibility of my future purchase being one that had previously had the flicker issue. Besides, I'll never know if it did have that problem. I have complete faith in the Apple warranty and their ability to solve the problem.



    Sorry for creating the confusion.
  • crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Or more likely he/she is remembering a previous posting from AI that said 27" iMac's are shipping with cracked or chipped screens.



    How can that even remotel be called trolling?



    If you have been on the Apple's site or the site that CNet reported on from a Mac user that brought this to the attention of the media you'd know there are multiple problems being reported by all new iMac users.



    Cnet Link

    http://imac.squeaked.com/index.php



    To belittle a poster for calling this out and calling him a TROLL is pathetic.



    let me remind you of what he said:



    You bump that edge, the screen gets cracked!

    And, one more time, in case ya'll are REALLY STUPID?




    Then, Even if you DON'T UNDERSTAND. YOU"LL STILL, GET IT RIGHT!



    YOU F'n FOOLS!



    I can't believe, who I'm written to!



    Where is SJ?



    He's too fugin stupid to read this.....




    His statements seem a little harsh don't they? I only wanted him to calm down a little. The way he came right out and started calling people stupid and such, did seem to me at least that he was trying to be confrontational. If you find my pointing that out to him to be pathetic then that is where we will have to agree to disagree.\



    BTW - Thanks for the link. It has been added to my bookmarks. I will definitely make use of it to increase my knowledge.



    Peace to you!!!
  • angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post


    let me remind you of what he said:







    He's too fugin stupid to read this.....




    His statements seem a little harsh don't they? I only wanted him to calm down a little. The way he came right out and started calling people stupid and such, did seem to me at least that he was trying to be confrontational. If you find my pointing that out to him to be pathetic then that is where we will have to agree to disagree.\



    You are getting upset for an obvious design flaw or packaging issue by Apple. Don't blame him for being upset.



    Your response was not even warranted and given the number of 27" computers returned, I understand his/her frustration at how it has been handled by Apple until today to be unreasonable.



    So, yes I'll stand by my comment given the evidence that Apple has chosen yet once again to look the other way until it was called to the likes of the press.
  • chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post


    No, not really. I know that if it's returned by the end user then repaired it's resold as "refurbished". Anytime before that, who knows? They might still sell it as "new" so long as it never got to the end user's hands, no matter how close it got.



    If it's repaired, even before it is sold, it is not sold as new.
  • nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,132member
    My late 2008 Unibody MBP still has display flickering issues when using the integrated video card. I didn't have the time to take it for a repair and still has 2 years of warranty left.
  • angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    My late 2008 Unibody MBP still has display flickering issues when using the integrated video card. I didn't have the time to take it for a repair and still has 2 years of warranty left.



    If that's the case the case then you paid for AppleCare to take it to 3 years which is standard for most PC vendors.



    With Dell, even if you break it, your dog eats it or you spill your coffee in it if you pay the extra $100 it's a full replacement for any computer. That is not the case with Apple, it has to be a failure do to manufacting defect.
  • hardcashehardcashe Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    If it's repaired, even before it is sold, it is not sold as new.



    No - if it is not sold to a consumer it is never refurbished.



    1)\tWhat are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?



    Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.



    Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

    is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).

    is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.

    is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.

    is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).

    includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.

    is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.

    is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

    Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.
  • hoghog Posts: 5member
    So, this is just rumor then? COMMON APPLE, fill us in!
  • angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hog View Post


    So, this is just rumor then? COMMON APPLE, fill us in!



    Not rumored. I know it's unusual for Apple but they have admitted a problem. They should have taken the further step and recalled all 27" iMac's.



    That is common for Apple to handle it through warranty rather than having it hit the press.
  • aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,518member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardcashe View Post


    No - if it is not sold to a consumer it is never refurbished.



    What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?



    Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process..



    That isn't necessarily as black-and-white as you suggest. A re-seller purchases the product; if they identify a defect then it gets returned and repaired. For Apple, the product has been sold, and as far as I can tell, the product is considered "used" when it is returned.



    The same concept holds true for display merchandise.



    If Apple has stock replacement parts and doesn't give replacement units away, it is a non-issue. If they give customers a full replacement product then they will end up with a bunch of refurbs, no matter what the technicalities are.



    Time will tell. So far, no 27" refurbs listed.
  • pumpkinwhitepumpkinwhite Posts: 13member
    I ordered the i5 imac on thanksgiving from onsale.com. At the time it said 'usually ships in 4 to 5 days' on the order page. Till two ago, the order status said 'Pending', then it changed to 'Backordered'. I called the retailer to get an idea of when I can expect to receive it. They said that they are not expecting shipments till end of December, and by the time I get it, it will be January. The lady said a lot of iMacs got returned due to cracked screens and so apple has delayed the shipments.



    I was expecting my iMac in two weeks when I ordered, and now I am looking at 6 weeks from the time.
  • quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post


    Not rumored. I know it's unusual for Apple but they have admitted a problem. They should have taken the further step and recalled all 27" iMac's.



    That is common for Apple to handle it through warranty rather than having it hit the press.



    Why would Apple recall the 27" iMac's if they don't have a fix for it? My friend with a flickering i5 called Apple and the rep. said that engineering wanted his iMac which shows me they don't know the problem yet.



    This is typical Apple behavior. They won't publicly recognize a problem until they have a fix. It happened with the iMac G5 power supply, the iBook G3 logic boards, etc. And if the problem is a software/firmware one they'll just release an update.



    As to the delay I doubt it. I have read people who ordered on the 7th,8th, and 9th had theirs ship already when Apple had the status go to 2 weeks. And mine just went to Prepared for Shipment.
  • angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quagmire View Post


    Why would Apple recall the 27" iMac's if they don't have a fix for it? My friend with a flickering i5 called Apple and the rep. said that engineering wanted his iMac which shows me they don't know the problem yet.



    This is typical Apple behavior. They won't publicly recognize a problem until they have a fix. It happened with the iMac G5 power supply, the iBook G3 logic boards, etc. And if the problem is a software/firmware one they'll just release an update.



    As to the delay I doubt it. I have read people who ordered on the 7th,8th, and 9th had theirs ship already when Apple had the status go to 2 weeks. And mine just went to Prepared for Shipment.



    I'm sorry in Advance for your future refurbished "new" computer.
Sign In or Register to comment.