Google 'Nexus One' pictured, rumored coming to T-Mobile

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

it was crossed out for 3G ATT, its runs 3G t-mobile, which is the same as the Edge of ATT...so what are you talking about?

Works on 3G networks abroad. Still technically a 3G phone.
  • Reply 22 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

No arguments there on the software. Minor differences between the models when it comes to feature sets. However, there are enough hardware differences that hardware developers have to be aware of. Like I said, it's not as much of a difference as Android has. But it's not none either.

It's also been shown that all devices, even the first G1, are capable of running Android 2.0. And three of the top Android phones are getting the 2.0 update (Droid Eris, HTC Hero, Samsung Moment). The Droid and all subsequent Android phones releasing in 2010 already have 2.0 at a minimum.

3 of the top android phones is not the same as ALL of the phones. And show me a link that says that all android phones are capable the latest Android update and most of the features are still usable. Funny all of Apple's software runs the same on all the devices, but its only hardware features that change across newer apple mobile devices excluding the nano and shuffle. That is to be expected.
  • Reply 23 of 141
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Google Insider.
  • Reply 24 of 141
    http://gigaom.com/2009/12/07/android...fragmentation/

Android Steps Closer to Fragmentation

Wind River announced today a commercial version of the Android platform that comes with pre-integrated apps and global support and is optimized for Texas Instruments’ OMAP 3. But the offering represents one more step toward a dangerously fragmented Android universe . . .

http://androidandme.com/2009/11/news...ion-look-like/

What does Android fragmentation look like?

Android fragmentation is real and it is not going away. Ask any developer and they will tell you about the difficulties of supporting multiple versions of Android and their different screen sizes.
  • Reply 25 of 141
    Quote:

Works on 3G networks abroad. Still technically a 3G phone.

its the old Microsoft 98/NT argument....its runs, BUT NOT CERTIFIED to run....Its a 3G phone, but its not a 3G phone...but it still does not RUN ON AT&T's 3G....

you are saying a lot, but you are back pedaling to my point.

Did you even read the article as it refers to my point? If you did you would see they redacted that it runs AT&T 3G service....so you fail and so does their Google Phone..
  • Reply 26 of 141
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    This is the ONLY tech board i know that keeps trying to play up fragmentation.

The only device that will not be getting 2.0 or 2.1 is going to be the G1 since it doesnt have the required RAM to do so, nearly all available ones will be getting the bump sometime soon (january if rumors are correct).

Besides there are cutoffs anyways for this technology as the OS becomes more sophisticated and new features are added the requirements become higher the older phones will be cut off. The G1 though was a victim of HTC gimping it in the RAM/ROM department and is why it will most likely not see the newest version.

This has already happened to the iPhone 2G and 3G with not getting features of the 3GS due to not meeting the hardware requirements thus some apps are not possible on said devices (this is fragmentation as well kids). It wouldnt surprise me in the least bit that whenever OS 4 comes out, the older gen phones might not be able to upgrade to it (3 years for the 2G, 2 years for the 3G means everyone who has had a phone since launch could easily upgrade to the 3GS and whatever else is coming out) and if they do they will be missing features just like they do now
  • Reply 27 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm sure Verizon and Motorola are thrilled.

And The Great Android Fragmentation continues . . .

Fragmented how?

Yes there may be some kind of incompatibility with older google phones as time moves forward and the specs increase. But I am sure Google will outline these specs ahead of time to the phone manufacturer every few years or 18 months. No difference with iPhone and its relations to its software developers.

Secondly, I think Apple needs to look out at this threat of the google phone. Yes now Apple is enjoying great profits and success from the iphone ipod touch line. Right now it looks all good and rosy.

iphone may be the fragmented phone of the future...fragmented from the the rest of the market. In the next 5 years there will probably be 50 different types of Google phones out there ranging from $30 to $350 and Google will be on the rise. They have the opportunity of market dominance because they are setting things up like the PC and windows did in the 1980's.

Where will Apple be? Will we see the $50 iPhone? How will Apple pull this off?

I am speaking of the future and I make no guarantee that I am correct.
  • Reply 28 of 141
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

But Kafka said when the Nexus One is made available for sale both AT&T and T-Mobile will be selectable as carriers through a menu-style online order system. Google reportedly plans to allow customers the ability to purchase the phone and then choose their carrier.

I really hope that Google helps to break up the practice of carrier subsidies and the public shifts to buying handsets independently of their phone company. In the long run that may become more widespread when/if we (in the US) see a unified 4G/LTE network standard, but until that happens the handset vendors will have to take some risks.

If the public starts buying the high-end handsets on their own (shopping around as they would for any other CE device), the carriers might lose their exclusivity grip and have to start really competing for a change.
  • Reply 29 of 141
    http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech...-fragmentation

Sprint's Android updates highlight fragmentation

December 11, 2009, 07:40 PM — IDG News Service —

Just as Verizon pushes out the first operating-system update to the Droid, Android version 2.0.1, Sprint says its Android phones will get the 2.0 version as late as June next year.
  • Reply 30 of 141
    Quote:

There's hardware and some software differences between the various models. You have the magnometer that's only in the 3GS. And a camera that's only on the iPhones. And there are various differences in the firmware between the iPhones and iPod Touch (I don't know how much that actually affects development). While they're less pronounced than on Android, developers still have to be aware of these differences when making apps.

Manufactureres are beginning to send out 2.0 updates for their Android phones running 1.5 and 1.6. I think by the middle of Q1 in 2010, there will only be Android 2.0 and 2.1 to worry about..

There is obviously going to be some fragmentation between the iPhone and the iPod touch in that they are two different devices with two different markets. I often wonder if people that complain that the iPod Touch doesnt take pictures are the same people who complain that their camera doesnt make phone calls.
  • Reply 31 of 141
    So, Android is splintering (though one huge success with Android 2.x would mean that that one huge success would be 99% of Android out there and the remaining 1% of splinters would be unimportant). And it seems the new phone still has the broken memory model (see Roughly Drafted Magazine for good explanations).

Doesn't seem like a viable competitor for iPhone yet in terms of tech.

But phones is also about fashion, and here Apple needs a refresh. They might be tech-cool but if they are not seen as cool, they are not.
  • Reply 32 of 141
    Whoa, an Android phone that isn't fugly? What a novel idea!

If the rumors about it being sold without a contract are true, I have to wonder if they plan to sell this to the general public at all or just to developers.
  • Reply 33 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surfonium View Post

1st. Droid will put up a strong fight.

1st?

So, are you 14 or 15?
  • Reply 34 of 141
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

So, Android is splintering (though one huge success with Android 2.x would mean that that one huge success would be 99% of Android out there and the remaining 1% of splinters would be unimportant). And it seems the new phone still has the broken memory model (see Roughly Drafted Magazine for good explanations).

Doesn't seem like a viable competitor for iPhone yet in terms of tech.

But phones is also about fashion, and here Apple needs a refresh. They might be tech-cool but if they are not seen as cool, they are not.

Seems like someone thinks they are "Cool" ? they are still selling a boat load of these things!

I will say, it's going to be interesting to which why Apple / Steve take the iPhone when it comes to design / style?

- Thinner?

- Fatter?

- Taller?

- Shorter?

- Completely different? (I'm leaning this way)

Skip
  • Reply 35 of 141
    Quote:

its the old Microsoft 98/NT argument....its runs, BUT NOT CERTIFIED to run....Its a 3G phone, but its not a 3G phone...but it still does not RUN ON AT&T's 3G....

you are saying a lot, but you are back pedaling to my point.

Did you even read the article as it refers to my point? If you did you would see they redacted that it runs AT&T 3G service....so you fail and so does their Google Phone..

I read it. I know it doesn't work on AT&T's 3G. But AT&T isn't the only carrier in the world now is it? If Google does plan on selling this phone sans plan, then wouldn't it make sense to incorporate the world's 3G bands? Seeing as there's more of them that use it out there? I guess it's not much of a fail on Google after all...

Quote:

3 of the top android phones is not the same as ALL of the phones. And show me a link that says that all android phones are capable the latest Android update and most of the features are still usable. Funny all of Apple's software runs the same on all the devices, but its only hardware features that change across newer apple mobile devices excluding the nano and shuffle. That is to be expected.

The top 3 (4 if you count the Droid) Android phones represent a good chunk of all the Android phones out there. Of course, I'm going under the assumption that as more and more Android 2.0 phones are released, those using the HTC Dream (or G1) will be upgrading to one of these handsets. Now should be roughly the time when their 2 year contracts expire.

There's always a period of growing pains with early software development, which is what we see in the 1.0, 1.1, 1.5, and 1.6 versions of Android. The reason why I think 1.0 through 1.6 still exist is because manufacturers didn't really know how successful Android would be. Now that Android 2.0 has been really pushed onto the scene with the Droid campaign, many more manufacturers are jumping aboard and working to update their existing phones. As new companies develop handsets, they'll logically start with Android 2.0. It's my opinion that as 2010 starts, the sub-2.0 versions will start to fade out and we'll start seeing more of a leveling. But only time will tell.
  • Reply 36 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

But phones is also about fashion, and here Apple needs a refresh.

Agreed, but given the look of this "Nexus One" (why not just call it Nexus 6 and go full-on Blade Runner?) Apple's look is totally in for Spring 2010.
  • Reply 37 of 141
    Nexus One?

What sort of moronic megalomaniac name is this?

Wait let me check my messages on my nexus one...

Honey have you seen my nexus one?

Nexus, plexus, sexus, time to re-read the fabulous Henry Miller.
  • Reply 38 of 141
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

And you ignoring the iPhone Gen 1, iPhone Gen 2, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch Fragmentation continues...

But hey, I suppose those blinders make it easier to see where you're headed to...

Which means you just don't understand what fragmentation means.
  • Reply 39 of 141
    I use a Touch and an unlocked gsm phone on T-Mobile. I flip back and forth between the US and Europe too much to bother with a locked iPhone. ATT, is a mess to deal with.

The G-Phone makes sense in that its cross border as well as cross gsm carrier. The fact the iPhone is tied to ATT is a killer for me. At our US home, ATT is our landline and ISP. My experience with them is they are totally incompetent. Having lived in 10 states and several different countries I have experience with other land line companies, other isp's and other mobile operators. ATT is by far the worst of the litter. Some are actually good, mostly in Europe but T-Mobile does ok.
  • Reply 40 of 141
    The one interesting option this makes available is a WiFi only smartphone.

You don't have to sign up for an expensive data plan to use this smartphone.

If you can configure it to only use WiFi for data and the cellular network only for calls and texting it could offer an interesting value to budget conscious users.