WWDC 2010, iPhone announcement rumored for June 28-July 2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A calendar listing for San Francisco's Moscone Center has led to speculation that Apple's annual Worldwide Developer's Conference will coincide with the three-year anniversary of the original iPhone's launch.

The Moscone Center Calendar lists a "Corporate Event" from June 28, 2010 through July 2, 2010 in the Moscone West hall. Previous Apple events have been reserved with the same title.

This year, WWDC 2009 ran June 8 through June 12. In previous years, the event has marked the introduction of new iPhone models. This June, Apple introduced the iPhone 3GS.

The original iPhone debuted on June 29, 2007, along with an exclusive contract with carrier AT&T. Since then, it has been rumored that the two parties are locked into a three-year deal due to expire next summer. While AT&T has reportedly attempted to extend that contract, rumors have persisted that Apple will expand to other carriers.

If WWDC 2010 does take place on June 28, 2010, it could be booked to coincide with the expiration of the current contract with AT&T. Recent reports have suggested that Verizon, the largest wireless carrier in the U.S., could offer a CDMA compatible iPhone next year. Some analysts see Verizon as the best choice for Apple to expand the platform, but others feel technical limitations and different corporate styles could serve as a roadblock for such a deal.

For their part, Verizon officials said last week that their network would be capable of handling the added bandwidth from the addition of the iPhone. They did not, however, imply that the handset was coming to their network.

Another option could be T-Mobile. While the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S. does not have the size or stature of AT&T or Verizon, it is a GSM-based network, meaning compatibility with T-Mobile would be simple to accomplish with the existing iPhone hardware. Given the simplicity of such a move, some have predicted it to happen in 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    We do know that our Steve & Apple has some

Innovations they've been developing for us CODE Hungry developers. .........

To All my passionate Apple developers in this forum

I can't wait for WWDC .
  • Reply 2 of 41
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    i bet it's going to be a slow news week with stories like this
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Here's hoping they say something about Mac OS 10.7 at the WWDC.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    If they're going to do T-Mobile, they're going to need a five or six-band chipset instead of the current four. For the iPhone 4G, they're going to need 8.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Another option could be T-Mobile. While the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S. does not have the size or stature of AT&T or Verizon, it is a GSM-based network, meaning compatibility with T-Mobile would be simple to accomplish with the existing iPhone hardware. Given the simplicity of such a move, some have predicted it to happen in 2010.

Don't forget that T-Mobile uses a different 3G frequency to AT&T and the rest of the world. So far there aren't any cellular modems that can handle all three sets of frequencies. Either someone needs to develop one before July or Apple will be forced to sell two separate models.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Either someone needs to develop one before July or Apple will be forced to sell two separate models.

Apple could sell two different or three different models. It's not that big of a thing to do. I mean it's work, but many companies have been doing it for a long time now. Palm and Rim both do it. So it's not that Apple can't. They are just choosing not to because of the exclusive they currently have with ATT.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Apple is going to announce a slightly improved new iPhone, just memory, better processor and a better price.

Then they are going to announce; due to AT&T being unable to handle the volume of iPhone traffic and repeated crashing of their network following record sales of iPhones this holiday season, (where was I?) that the iPhone will be available on other US networks as well.

The FCC by then will have wrapped and declared the iPhone exclusivity with AT&T as the only carrier as illegal monopolistic behavior.

AT&T will be fined, their prices will again increase even higher due to high demand and low bandwidth, their service will further deteriorate and Version will become the new "MaBELL"

Apple will start applying anti-glare films to their glossy displays upon customer request as there will be no matte screen option at all, even though the 15" matte MacBook Pro is wildly popular and sales have been very strong these last few months.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,625member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i bet it's going to be a slow news week with stories like this

When the news is news about future news, it IS a slow week!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HardyNH View Post

Apple could sell two different or three different models. It's not that big of a thing to do.

They already do: 3G and 3GS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Apple is going to announce a slightly improved new iPhone, just memory, better processor and a better price.

I don't expect that. I expect something better to stay ahead of Droid and Google. Evolutionary, not revolutionary. But I do expect a 64GB phone and 128GB touch.

And iPhone OS 4.0.

Wireless tablet, anyone?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's not official yet but this looks to have 5 3G bands covered.

The two year contract on my iPhone 3G ends July 11, 2010, I'm looking forward to updating to the next iPhone as soon as it's released.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Don't forget that T-Mobile uses a different 3G frequency to AT&T and the rest of the world. So far there aren't any cellular modems that can handle all three sets of frequencies. Either someone needs to develop one before July or Apple will be forced to sell two separate models.

Exclusive apart from eighty odd other GSM carriers around the world.

Quote:

They are just choosing not to because of the exclusive they currently have with ATT.

• Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:

Then they are going to announce; due to AT&T being unable to handle the volume of iPhone traffic and repeated crashing of their network following record sales of iPhones this holiday season, (where was I?) that the iPhone will be available on other US networks as well.

The FCC by then will have wrapped and declared the iPhone exclusivity with AT&T as the only carrier as illegal monopolistic behavior.

AT&T will be fined, their prices will again increase even higher due to high demand and low bandwidth, their service will further deteriorate and Version will become the new "MaBELL"

Apple will start applying anti-glare films to their glossy displays upon customer request as there will be no matte screen option at all, even though the 15" matte MacBook Pro is wildly popular and sales have been very strong these last few months.

iCal'd.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    I'm hoping an iPhone 4G is available in 2011 when my contract runs out. The main improvement Apple needs to make right now is in battery life, and in various firmware issues. Apart from the battery, the current hardware is just peachy in my opinion.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Does this mean the Verizon/Vodafone exclusive Blackberry Storm will be inflicted on AT&T users?

Quote:

• Reply 13 of 41
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

They already do: 3G and 3GS.

And they manufacture 3 different models: 3G, 3GS, and the Chinese wifi-less model.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Apple could sell two different or three different models. It's not that big of a thing to do. I mean it's work, but many companies have been doing it for a long time now. Palm and Rim both do it. So it's not that Apple can't. They are just choosing not to because of the exclusive they currently have with ATT.

Um, no. They choose not too because they are making a killing off the iPhone, and setting up all-new development, production, and distribution for the same product, would be huge hit to profitability.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    he-he. 3GS was poor worthless update having been sadly thrown out for clueless cheerleaders ---which couldn't afford it anyway --- without Steve's having kept his eye on that damn circus having been going on.

Now we reasonable and informed Apple followers expect über-mega-hurricaney-thunder-update. New display, bigger memory, new radio, etc. And endless whining of all those losers who've bit that 3GS bait.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Here's hoping they say something about Mac OS 10.7 at the WWDC.

Too soon. Maybe 2011.

I want an OLED screen and longer battery life.

I can't imagine what Apple could add into iPhone OS to warrant branding it 4.0, to me 3.0 is feature complete. Next release could very well be iPhone OS 3.5.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Apple could sell two different or three different models. It's not that big of a thing to do.

Out of curiosity, do you work retail.

I ask this because you are claiming that having multiple sets of phones is 'not a big thing to do'. So I wonder if you've ever worked the front lines and actually have a clue what a pain the butt it would be to have ATT iphones, T-Mobile iphones, Verizon iphones etc. and that's in addition to folks just trying to decide what color and storage size they want

as for the rest of the comments.

the FCC. frankly folks are looking at this wrong. they won't ever judge ATT/Apple to be anything. they will, if they make a judgement, declare ALL device to service tying as bad. As they should

After all the crap Apple has gotten about ATT, I don't seem them being stupid enough to tie themselves to anyone. And I suspect that that was never the game plan. The plan was probably to do a limited contract for the first 3-4 years to kick things up and then to unlock and let whomever could handle the phone have at it.

Multiple models. Who is to say they don't have a plan to put more than one chip in the phones. Perhaps it isn't about CDMA AND GSM at all. Perhaps it is to cover a wider range of GSM. Or who is to say that T-Mobile isn't about to announce that they are changing things on their side. Then again, there are a lot of folks out there with "illegal" SIM unlocked phones. So apparently T-Mobile isn't doing so bad after all.

And no one brings up the tablet rumors. Frankly that's what I think the biggie will be. Perhaps an announcement earlier in the year to confirm the existence and then the big hands on will be at WWDC. the phone this time will be things like unlocked, better battery, perhaps more storage and the tablet will be the big deal.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    A new 2010 iPhone announced on the anniversary of the last 3 iPhone launches? This prediction is really going out on a limb!
  • Reply 19 of 41
    It is kind of aggravating to post something 6 months before it might actually happen.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Who care's about the June announcements? It's not the spring or summer yet.

I want to know about the Januaryannoucements!!