Apple's Wed., Jan. 27 event could include iPhone 4.0 SDK [u]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

But aren't Cloud Leopards a dying species?

Well, as far as that goes, Leopards are a dying species.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I know something like that probably wont happen, but I do feel that this is the year that Apple will get serious about video and invading the living room. It would make sense to announce those products before the tablet steals all the thunder. One can dream anyway.

serious about video? You mean like actually writing graphic drivers that don't completely suck for Snow Leopard? Maybe make video cards perform more then 30% of their potential?

Or how about a display that doesn't double as a mirror?

Apple is as serious about video as Exxon is about the environment.

Don't believe me... Check out the numbers on Barefeats.com

Apple has thrown in the towel when it comes to video it seems, leaving a swath of professionals and gamers in limbo with new computers and no reasonable video solution.

More and more of my peers are switching to windows for this reason.

So Apple had better come up with some cool gizmo's and gadgets and computers for dummies, because it's more in competition with Sony for the consumer market, then it is with Microsoft for the business market.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

serious about video? You mean like actually writing graphic drivers that don't completely suck for Snow Leopard? Maybe make video cards perform more then 30% of their potential?

Or how about a display that doesn't double as a mirror?

Apple is as serious about video as Exxon is about the environment.

Don't believe me... Check out the numbers on Barefeats.com

Apple has thrown in the towel when it comes to video it seems, leaving a swath of professionals and gamers in limbo with new computers and no reasonable video solution.

More and more of my peers are switching to windows for this reason.

So Apple had better come up with some cool gizmo's and gadgets and computers for dummies, because it's more in competition with Sony for the consumer market, then it is with Microsoft for the business market.

Seems like your mixing a couple of things here-- certainly for "gamers" a PC is a better choice, but as is commonly noted, PC gaming has been fading away in favor of dedicated consoles for quite a while, so I don't think there's a large market that Apple is ignoring at their peril, on that count.

"Video" is either playback or editing. 1080p HD is about as demanding as it gets for playback, currently, and Macs can handle that fine, so can't see where offering more powerful video cards would help there.

Editing isn't really about the graphics, and I'm not aware of video pros leaving the Mac platform in disgust because of underperforming cards, so.....

OTOH, all kinds of new tech, Apple's among them, are leveraging the power of modern video cards for general computing, so certainly better options on that count couldn't hurt.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    You know that mode in the Finder - column mode - where you see multiple folders listings side by side? I wonder if the Tablet could run certain iPhone apps this way?

If the app uses a NavigationController, it could be presented this way, with multiple screen viewable at once.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

You know that mode in the Finder - column mode - where you see multiple folders listings side by side? I wonder if the Tablet could run certain iPhone apps this way?

If the app uses a NavigationController, it could be presented this way, with multiple screen viewable at once.

I think a touch based column view finder would be pretty useful, but I suspect Apple intends to make a break with the "Finder" paradigm with their tablet. The iPhone makes pretty strenuous efforts to suppress the whole idea of a "file system", in favor of a "services" style of file manipulation (send to mail, copy to camera roll, etc.).

Apple may give us a device that focuses on a number of typical use-cases, with specific gestures for the most common ways files get moved/copied/duplicated/found. If so, they'll of course be excoriated for making a "crippled" machine, but at the same time they could end up doing to "tablets" what they did to "smart phones"-- turing them into things that average people suddenly decide they like, want and need.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think a touch based column view finder would be pretty useful, but I suspect Apple intends to make a break with the "Finder" paradigm with their tablet. The iPhone makes pretty strenuous efforts to suppress the whole idea of a "file system", in favor of a "services" style of file manipulation (send to mail, copy to camera roll, etc.).

I agree, but I wasn't talking about directories or filesystems, I was talking about iPhone app screens. Like in the iPod mode where you navigate from artist to album to song and each level scrolls off the left and is replaced by the new one - on a tablet there would be enough room to have all the levels/screens on the screen at once.

Quote:

Apple may give us a device that focuses on a number of typical use-cases, with specific gestures for the most common ways files get moved/copied/duplicated/found. If so, they'll of course be excoriated for making a "crippled" machine, but at the same time they could end up doing to "tablets" what they did to "smart phones"-- turing them into things that average people suddenly decide they like, want and need.

This is absolutely right. Apple likes to make simple products, but back in 1984, people didn't know what computers would ultimately be used for, so the simplest you could do still had to be very general (windows, menus, pointers etc are very general purpose). But today, there is 25 years of evidence of what people actually use them for, so it is possible to build dedicated devices.

The only place where generality is needed to the same degree as in 1984 is in the office, since every company seems to have (in addition to the usual productivity apps) one app of their own which is their company's value add.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple may give us a device that focuses on a number of typical use-cases, with specific gestures for the most common .....

Presuming they have an amazing new interaction method, it would seem to be a necessity to pick a few basic new interaction techniques and use them pervasively to get people familiar with the system. A tutorial may help things along, but only a small way.

That would mean showcasing key gestures in the main interface and in the major Apple apps. Mail, Calendar, iTunes, iPod need to show the new way - even if the 'old' iPhone way works too.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Rumored Apple's promises to hand iPhone simulator to developers soon may also mean the "boot camp/rosetta" for ARM applications is born in the abyss of studios at Apple and is now surfacing.