Apple corners market on 10.1-inch LCD, OLED screens - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Availability of 10.1-inch multi-touch LCD and OLED display panels from Asian suppliers is said to be nonexistent, as one designer has claimed Apple "pre-ordered them all."

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last week, TG Daily allegedly spoke with an anonymous designer who said the screen size is currently unavailable, as Apple has supposedly ordered so many screens that the parts cannot be purchased by anyone else.

"We were designing a product for a customer and we needed 10-inch screens," the source allegedly said, "but we've been trying for months and can't get one from any of the Asian suppliers."

OLEDs, or organic light-emitting diodes, deliver color pictures without the need for a backlight. They consume less energy and provide a superior picture. Such screens have been a popular choice for Apple competitors of late, with Microsoft using one for its Zune HD, and Google for its Nexus One smartphone.

While the technology is superior, it is also costly. In November, one report suggested an OLED-based Apple tablet would cost between $1,500 and $1,700 to build based on current prices. It was then predicted an OLED tablet would cost about $2,000.

However, the still-unannounced Apple tablet is widely expected to have a final price of less than $1,000. Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray believes Apple could sell 1.4 million devices at an average selling price of $600.

In December, analyst Yair Reiner with Oppenheimer specifically disputed the claims of an OLED screen. He said checks within Apple's supply chain have said the device will use a 10.1-inch multi-touch display using LTPS LCD technology -- the same as on the iPhone. He expects an average selling price of $1,000.

Apple is widely expected to introduce its tablet at an event on Jan. 27 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. Reports have said the hardware will go on sale in March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Availability of 10.1-inch multi-touch LCD and OLED display panels from Asian suppliers is said to be nonexistent, as one designer has claimed Apple "pre-ordered them all."...

I wonder how much the quality of displays sourced through different vendors varies and in fact, how many suppliers Apple would be calling on? \

(Or, considering the perceived cost impact, is this mis-direction?)
  • Reply 2 of 77
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    But will it have an oleophobic coating
  • Reply 3 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

But will it have an oleophobic coating

I hope so, I am pretty sure that I am Lipophobic!
  • Reply 4 of 77
    Boy those are some pretty big iphone screens!

• Reply 5 of 77
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    So they have (possibly) ordered LCD and OLED screens... 2 models? iSlate and iSlate Pro?
  • Reply 6 of 77
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Something smells fishy. Why would Apple corner the market on both LCD and OLED screens in the same form factor? This story sounds like it's been inflated, Apple should have no reason to do that.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    So, it doesn't necessarily mean Apple is gonna create something on the base of 10,1" screen. This does mean the competition won't be on time.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

So they have (possibly) ordered LCD and OLED screens... 2 models? iSlate and iSlate Pro?

There does seem to be quite some nervousness about the price of this device - whatever it is. \
  • Reply 9 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

The part about it being both LCD and OLED screens is odd. There isn't enough difference between the two to justify two models with the same screen size. Especially given the price difference cited in the story. I think very few people would pay that much extra just to get an OLED screen.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Something smells fishy. Why would Apple corner the market on both LCD and OLED screens in the same form factor? This story sounds like it's been inflated, Apple should have no reason to do that.

If Apple did indeed order a lot of LCD 10.1 in displays. production would have shifted to this size minimizing shortages. They are very efficient about this kind of thing. At this stage OLED displays do not make sense for the mass market. Price is too hi, and I am not sure the advantages are compelling.

We need an affordable tablet. Not nice product with hi price.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    Did an AppleInsider author recently deride the OLED technology in such devices as the Zune?
  • Reply 12 of 77
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I agree with you. Its either one or the either. In any case its based on the comment on an anonymous "designer". I don't know but possibly they work in a fashion boutique and a hair salon (part time).
  • Reply 13 of 77
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

If Apple did indeed order a lot of LCD 10.1 in displays. production would have shifted to this size minimizing shortages. They are very efficient about this kind of thing. At this stage OLED displays do not make sense for the mass market. ... .

Not sure about the superior technology trope: OLED is emissive not transmissive meaning you can't see what's on the screen under bright light. http://www.oled-info.com/oleds-direct-sunlight However, although Apple wouldn't inflict this on iPhone users it may use OLED for a tablet based on the assumption it is much less likely to be used under sunlight than a phone. And, of course, battery life is crucial for a competitive e-reader.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

The part about it being both LCD and OLED screens is odd. There isn't enough difference between the two to justify two models with the same screen size. Especially given the price difference cited in the story. I think very few people would pay that much extra just to get an OLED screen.

The OLED version is for those who want to be "cool", and for executives, especially in the media industry.

For the rest of us, it would make the LCD version look cheaper.

(Assuming there are two versions...)
  • Reply 15 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post

Did an AppleInsider author recently deride the OLED technology in such devices as the Zune?

If I remember correctly it was because it was a dumbed-down OLED, not the real thing, or something.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    2 models?? Not likely~!
  • Reply 17 of 77
    I thought display panels were produced in big size and they cut it in smaller pieces. So, if there's shortage about a type of display it doesn't necessarily say, for me, the size.

It can be due to orders of panels in smaller size by Apple (or whoever).

Am I wrong?
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I agree with you. Its either one or the either. In any case its based on the comment on an anonymous "designer". I don't know but possibly they work in a fashion boutique and a hair salon (part time).

Isn't there all this talk / patents relating to scalable graphics and variable screen resolutions? We will see, though. I agree it doesn't sound like it has it the sweet spot yet for mass adoption. Still, a manufacturer would dream of a monster contract that would practically guarantee big volumes for a long time. They would probably be willing to give major volume discounts, greater than those for a more mature technology, no?

It would make them impossibly thin, though, and generally kickass. Sigh.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    It's certainly plausible Apple could release two different styles.

Never say never.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Yeah, this sounds more like supposition than rumour. "Some guy" can't get a screen, so ipso facto, Apple is cornering the screen market?

Also, LCD rumours aside, why would Apple go to multiple suppliers for the same product? When you buy a tablet, it's going to be a crap shoot whether you got the one with a a screen from company A, B, or C?

This makes little sense.