Apple's next-gen, dual-core iPhone could debut in April - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 152
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

This new iPhone better have matte display option or some heads gonna roll.

You realize you can buy screen protectors for the iPhone that are matte, right? They cost about $5 and are applied to the front face and work perfectly. If the screen itself was matte it would take away the option from the user.
  • Reply 22 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

...and a side effect of the new case design is that the HD is much more difficult to remove (at least in the MBP) than it was before. My late 2008 MBP wouldn't have this issue because (a) the battery is removable and (b) it takes all of 30 seconds to swap out the hard drive and keep my data safe and sound when I bring it in for repair!

I hear you, I got the 2006 MBP and took it in once for a hard drive replacement to up it to 7,200 RPM and increase the storage. The Reseller quoted me $600 and wouldn't install the higher quality Hitachi drive I wanted, said they would only do a 5,200 RPM Seagate, so I told them to shove it and learned how to do it myself.

At least I can change the battery, until Apple stops selling them.
  • Reply 23 of 152
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

You and about a dozen others.

Apple is creating a huge amount of problems for itself by locking the battery down.

They might have realized these problems in certain devices, especially those used in schools like the iSlate is proposed to replace the MacBook.

Are you kidding? In a school situation, you lock EVERYTHING down!
  • Reply 24 of 152
    i_ii_i Posts: 10member
    huh, don't need everyone calling bs just because the battery. maybe the oled screen is much thinner or other components are smaller and they just have a lot of extra space for something like a removable battery compartment? since the size of the unit overall has to be roughly the same size anyway to be useable
  • Reply 25 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Are you kidding? In a school situation, you lock EVERYTHING down!

Nah, white MacBooks have removable batteries already and you can tell most kids not to do certain things if they discover how to take it out.

After they see what it does, they usually don't mess with it after that. They are easily distracted.

But taking the whole computer in if the battery dies? Not practical.
  • Reply 26 of 152
    These salacious little tidbits, though seemingly minor, are more believable than the over-the-top rumors we're used to reading.

RFID swipe support could be a game changer, although such technology is not available in mass quantity at the retailer level. Maybe Apple could subsidize devices for all retailers. At the very least, they'd have their beta device in their new stores.
  • Reply 27 of 152
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

This new iPhone better have matte display option or some heads gonna roll.

Heck yeah, and it better have a blu-ray drive as standard too!
  • Reply 28 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

You realize you can buy screen protectors for the iPhone that are matte, right? They cost about $5 and are applied to the front face and work perfectly. If the screen itself was matte it would take away the option from the user.

The touchscreen works behind the matte film?

got a link?

Also it could be hard to clean and wear out, peal and whatnot.

It would be better if Apple used a better form of glass with anti-glare/reflection properties built into the glass itself.

Of course the screens themselves are now glossy, so I don't know how that would work, but something has to be done.

10" with glare and reflections is going to suck @ss. Sure make it hard to read.
  • Reply 29 of 152
    Most of what is mentioned in this latest rumor is easy speculation at best, as those features seem to be the next logical steps in the iPhone's evolution. The technology is already known to exist, so I say 'meh', also I agree with my fellow insiders in calling the removable battery BS. Apple has removed batteries from all their laptop offerings praising the move as saving space for more battery, I don't see that changing anytime soon
  • Reply 30 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post

your typical usage onto millions of others that do not fit your usage category. It clearly is not a bad business decision as the bulk of the batteries that do need replacing will occur well after Apple is footing the bill. I also don't think the problem is all that widespread. It affect some power users but for the most part people manage fine with the juice they have.

If the design size of the 10" iSlate can handle a battery that only lasts 4 or 5 hours, it certainly would be removable to extend it's usage.

Just because the MacBook Pro has a huge case for a huge battery and can last 8 or so hours, doesn't mean it will scale well into a device that's only 10".

Look at the iPhone, the battery needs recharging all the time; in the car, at work, at home etc.

Perhaps that won't in a device that is going to replace the computer.
  • Reply 31 of 152
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    Am sure Apple won't be so silly to do a Samsung (Ultra Touch), Nokia (5530) and Google (Nexus 1) and use a display that is impossible to read in daylight.

Wouldn't be incredible if Apple launch a device with a rollup display - so it's an iPhone and 'Tablet' in one? (Issue is, how do you stiffen a rollup display when you want to touch/draw on it?)
  • Reply 32 of 152
    I highly doubt Apple would use a removable battery for several reasons.

First, Apple loves to use new materials. They redefined what you could do with plastics with their color iMacs, made innovations in manufacturing aluminum, and even created a new rubber like material for the non slip grip on the bottom of the new iMacs. Batteries doors almost always create design limitations. Just look at the aluminum macbook with a battery door. They went out of their way to design that door. Second, apple loves internal batteries because they allow for longer battery usage. Apple, as we all know, is a stickler when it comes to battery life. New features like an led flash or multitasking would likely suck up battery. Apple, if anything, should be trying to increase battery life. Third, I don't see much use in a removable battery. I have never wanted to swap a battery with my phone, or even my laptop for that matter. I don't really see the point; it's not like tons of people go and buy extra batteries for their phones anyway. I only think this would be a reality if Apple released a Pixi like competitor in April. I doubt Apple would break tradition and announce a new iPhone 3gs HD early. This probably means that a phone will be announced at the developers conference if they announce multiple screen resolutions. This will probably be done in order to keep their stocks under control. Imagine if apple had announced months ago the created software for a tablet but said that they had no intentions on creating a tablet device. Anyway, that is my opinion on the current situation.
  • Reply 33 of 152
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This post matches my signature.
  • Reply 34 of 152
    I can't believe nobody mentioned this...but a removable battery? No way...that makes this source uncredible. :-)
  • Reply 35 of 152
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    The part that makes this rumor credible is the removable battery.
  • Reply 36 of 152
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!????????????

You're actually getting info about a future iPhone from SOUTH KOREA!!!!!????????

We don't even have the iTunes Store for Pete's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's not even ONE official Apple Retail Store here either!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only Authorized Retailers!!!!!!!!!

My head just burst into bits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 152
    I agree Apple is going away from removable battery.

But the only product that it actually makes sense to have a removable battery is the iPhone, so its possible.

OLED? Will it be as poor as the Zune?
  • Reply 38 of 152
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If the design size of the 10" iSlate can handle a battery that only lasts 4 or 5 hours, it certainly would be removable to extend it's usage.

Just because the MacBook Pro has a huge case for a huge battery and can last 8 or so hours, doesn't mean it will scale well into a device that's only 10".

Look at the iPhone, the battery needs recharging all the time; in the car, at work, at home etc.

Perhaps that won't in a device that is going to replace the computer.

You can choose to ignore the power savings in switching from core 2 duos to a fanless Arm architecture if you wish....

I charge my iPhone every other day, that is hardly all the time (but still bad for a phone). The exception would be playing games on it for extended periods of time, something I rarely do.

An external battery serves the same purpose as a second battery for those who need it anyway. Swappable batteries are nice for some but not used by the majority of people.
  • Reply 39 of 152
    Not to mention that folks won't be upgrade-eligible in April...
  • Reply 40 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

I can't believe nobody mentioned this...but a removable battery? No way...that makes this source uncredible. :-)

It is unpossible!!!!