McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 61 of 235
    I don't know why everyone is jumping to the conclusion that this "leak" was not ordered by Jobs. I mean, the guy releases a couple of very generic facts, and bookends it with hype: "very exciting" to "really terrific." Instead of being in hot water with Jobs, it's just as likely he was given this assignment as reward for some cooperation offered by McGraw-Hill during the development process.
  • Reply 62 of 235
    Gee, it's so hard to figure this one out. C'mon, let Steve do his thing...
  • Reply 63 of 235
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    This thread needs more Erin Burnett

• Reply 64 of 235
    If Erin Burnett asked me a question I'd blindly answer it!
  • Reply 65 of 235
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Yababadabadoo!

The CEO, no less. Bet Apple gets a little PO'd at the leak...

So what, though.
  • Reply 66 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The whole point of being secretive is to control the information and manipulate it to your advantage. He didn't say anything we didn't already know (or at least strongly suspect) and it keeps the hype level high, while possibly dampening the inevitable "no OSX - no buy" complaints tomorrow. I find it hard to believe that he said that without Apples approval.

That's a pretty good point. The "No OS X - no buy" crowd will at least have a chance to cry themselves to sleep tonight and maybe they'll wake up with a new perspective.
  • Reply 67 of 235
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Apple has like 30 BILLION dollars in the bank. I'm sure they can afford to hire you as a market analyst. You should call 'em. They're probably looking for someone who understands what people will and won't buy, and you may be just the guy.

Wow! Someone not get hired as a marketer and bitter?
  • Reply 68 of 235
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I'm thinking the same thing... I don't see a big draw for this thing. And if this is an ebook reader, I've read that many students aren't happy with ebooks because you can't resell them back to the bookstores, they can't be sold to other students, and they cost almost as much as a real book.

Here's an article that notes some issues with the kindle ebook reader:

http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/kindled

IMO, for this thing to be somewhat successful, it better do multi-tasking, have an easily replaceable battery, and have the ability to function as a stand alone computer so you can connect a keyboard to it and an external monitor and use it as a real computer... I'm not a big fan of touchscreens, having the option to use a keyboard with it while driving a large external monitor would make it very useful.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and I hope this thing has outstanding sales numbers.

That right there is the biggest problem. Our community college is adopting a new program in 2 years where they will be purchasing 30k+ ebooks for students (price reflected in tuition of course) and every book is supposedly sold at 25 to 45 bucks which is significantly cheaper than your average 130 dollar textbook.

For this tablet to be successful for education (30% education discount maybe?) it cant be outrageously priced and its as simple as that, especially since you will STILL need a computer in conjunction with this. If its reasonably priced i could see it being a hit in schools.
  • Reply 69 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

if it doesn't run osx it's most likely a deal-breaker for me. \

iPhone OS is OS X - it's just not MacOS X

MacOS X uses Cocoa

iPhone OS uses Cocoa Touch

Which one did you think a touch based tabled would be based on?

iPhone OS isn't the best name since it runs on more than the iPhone- call it "Touch OS X" vs "Mac OS X"
  • Reply 70 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

For this tablet to be successful for education (30% education discount maybe?) it cant be outrageously priced and its as simple as that, especially since you will STILL need a computer in conjunction with this. If its reasonably priced i could see it being a hit in schools.

are you sure about that?
  • Reply 71 of 235
    Whatever it is/does, I just hope there is an 'iPod Touch' version. I already pay way too much per month for the iPhone.

I think we can safely say that there will be a pay monthly version.

Coincidentally, the o2.co.uk laptop section is down for maintenance...maybe...adding new products? http://shop.o2.co.uk/laptops/viewall
  • Reply 72 of 235
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just Passing View Post

Whatever it is/does, I just hope there is an 'iPod Touch' version. I already pay way too much per month for the iPhone.

Agreed. I'm not paying for another data plan.
  • Reply 73 of 235
    Hell, I'd like to smell her text books too !
  • Reply 74 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just Passing View Post

I think we can safely say that there will be a pay monthly version.

Yeah, if there are more monthly fees attached to this item I will not be in the market for it either.
  • Reply 75 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...We have worked with Apple for quite awhile...

I bet there's a chill wind blowing up that guy's shorts tonight.

...Erin go brea....
  • Reply 76 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So what, though.

Can I buy you some sense of humor?

(Don't be predictable in your response).
  • Reply 77 of 235
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

This surely takes away partly from Jobs' performance tomorrow!

Sure, but what will be taken away from Jobs' presentation is the slide that shows McGraw-Hill as one of the companies Apple has been working with. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve is going through is presentation right now and removing all mention of McGraw-Hill from it. Remember the Phil not-so-subtly showed the slide off all the carriers that would have MMS and tethering and giving people plenty of time to realize that ATT wasn't on that slide? It was so obvious that the audience actually started laughing about it. That will be McGraw-Hill tomorrow.
  • Reply 78 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Sure, but what will be taken away from Jobs' presentation is the slide that shows McGraw-Hill as one of the companies Apple has been working with. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve is going through is presentation right now and removing all mention of McGraw-Hill from it. Remember the Phil not-so-subtly showed the slide off all the carriers that would have MMS and tethering and giving people plenty of time to realize that ATT wasn't on that slide? It was so obvious that the audience actually started laughing about it. That will be McGraw-Hill tomorrow.

That's actually a good test of whether it was planted or not: If they do show up, we know for sure that it was a planned leak.
  • Reply 79 of 235
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

If Erin Burnett asked me a question I'd blindly answer it!

Yeah, he seemed kind of nervous being under the bright TV lights, talking to the cute anchorwoman. To me he looked like a born-overprivileged private school boy, working in the family business, who had some information that the cute girl wanted to know. There was no way he would be able to hold his mud.
  • Reply 80 of 235
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c64 View Post

That gave me a chubby

Erin Burnett gives me a chubby!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This thread needs more Erin Burnett

God bless you, Mazda 3s!