Apple wants to price hardcover bestsellers $13-$15 on tablet - WSJ

Comments

• Reply 21 of 155
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    The success all comes down to what the DRM will let you do. If you can't share e-books then there is no economical reason to buy them. You might have some convienence gains, but that is a niche market for now....
  • Reply 22 of 155
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah right. You say value add, I say extra stuff to drain your wallet for that means.

Actually, I said joke. Clearly a little too subtle.
  • Reply 23 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

it's really not that high. actual hardcovers are 3 times that retail with discounts for perhaps the first two weeks.

the publishers have an investment in prepayment to the author and then often share the remaining profit with the author once that recovery is made. So it's not like it's all just money in the bank.

Once a solid market exists we'll likely get down to something like $10 for a 'new release' and $5 for 'backlist' with perhaps free first chapters being offered by publishers for some titles, especially newer authors.

BS... Reprinting these "books" (read - downloading from an online source) costs almost nothing. Whereas printing a hardcopy and distributing it to resale outlets is a completely different matter. The book is already in electronic form before it goes to the printing press. In fact, it comes from the author that way. Comparing costs of eBooks to actual books is a false argument.

Overhead costs on eBooks is nothing. The going rate for eBoooks could simply be determined by how much the consumer is willing to spend. Instead you you will spend as much as Apple and the publisher decide you should spend.

But, many Apple Fan Boys are willing to drink the cool-aide when it comes to Apple crap, so they'll pay whatever price Apple demands and defend their obligation to do so. (Spare me your flames readers.)

This post could easily be charged $.99 by Apple if Apple saw fit, but I'll give it to you for free.
  • Reply 24 of 155
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Actually, I said joke. Clearly a little too subtle.

First I laughed, but you know being on this forum sometimes I see these comments and people are serious. It was a good one. Don't forget the directors comments, and video of where they "shot" the book

Only now do I see: "deleted scenes", my mistake.
  • Reply 25 of 155
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    can you donate e-books to the library for the tax deduction?
  • Reply 26 of 155
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

If this is true, piracy is going to be a HUGE problem. Obviously, the thing is going to have to be able to handle pdf's etc...Good luck to the publishers trying to rape everyone that much

Jail breaking the iPad Touch is going to be widespread, as soon as people learn they can't transfer their content to someone else.

DVD John will make a appearance, the New Pirate Bay will have a e-book division and FBI warnings will appear on the first page of every new e-book.

It's going to be glorious!! ARRRRHHH!!
  • Reply 27 of 155
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    I would not want to read a book on an LCD or OLED. eInk is the only option for reading books.
  • Reply 28 of 155
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Yeah, sure Amazon loses $4.50 on every $9.99 sale... compared to selling the same book at $14.49!

Don't talk advertising-speak to us. If Apple coerces books to the higher price, you can call their latest creation the iToast.
  • Reply 29 of 155
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I would not want to read a book on an LCD or OLED. eInk is the only option for reading books.

Or paper ink.
  • Reply 30 of 155
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Why the ".99" bs?? What is this, 1990?

Are we still all really so stupid that "12.99" seems closer to $12, not $13?
  • Reply 31 of 155
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

First I laughed, but you know being on this forum sometimes I see these comments and people are serious. It was a good one. Don't forget the directors comments, and video of where they "shot" the book

Only now do I see: "deleted scenes", my mistake.

If anyone could sell an author's cut as a special feature to a book, it would be Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 155
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

it's really not that high. actual hardcovers are 3 times that retail with discounts for perhaps the first two weeks.

the publishers have an investment in prepayment to the author and then often share the remaining profit with the author once that recovery is made. So it's not like it's all just money in the bank.

Once a solid market exists we'll likely get down to something like $10 for a 'new release' and $5 for 'backlist' with perhaps free first chapters being offered by publishers for some titles, especially newer authors.

The only problem with that hypothesis is that quite a lot of books never hit the hardcover phase, they just go straight to softcover. Most of the books that I happen to have were never available in hardcover. Somehow that is a profitable industry. I think it's more of a matter of what the market will bear, particularly for big name authors.
  • Reply 33 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

... The going rate for eBoooks could simply be determined by how much the consumer is willing to spend. Instead you you will spend as much as Apple and the publisher decide you should spend...

So, by your own admission, whatever Apple decides to charge, consumers will pay? So wouldn't that be the "going rate" for eBooks, simply because that is what customers will pay? You've just said that this price is fair because consumers will pay it.

I'm sure Steve is going to sleep a lot sounder tonight knowing that Sofabutt supports his vision.
  • Reply 34 of 155
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quamb View Post

Why the ".99" bs?? What is this, 1990?

Are we still all really so stupid that "12.99" seems closer to $12, not $13?

Psychology. It's not just about the conscious mind.

See also:

http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/201001015
  • Reply 35 of 155
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Geez people...the estimates are that printing costs only 10% of the cost of a book. Here's the breakdown:

Author – Creation. 8-15% Royalties.

Publisher – Being the Curator, Polishing, Manufacturing, Marketing. 45-55% (includes Author’s Royalties). Note that Printing accounts for just 10% of the book price.

Distributor – 10%.

Retailers – 40%.

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/05/03/...ok-publishing/

That article also lists the cost estimates from other sites like Bookfinder:

Book Retail Price: $27.95.

Retailer (discount, staffing, rent, etc.) – $12.58. That’s 45%.

Author Royalties – $4.19. Exactly 15%.

Wholesaler – $2.80. Exactly 10%.

Pre-production (Publisher) - $3.55. That’s 12.7%.

Printing (Publisher) – $2.83. Translates to 10.125%.

Marketing (Publisher) – $2. That’s approximately 7.15%.

Don't like these numbers? Google up some alternatives and we can discuss.

Geez. Amazon is taking a loss and forcing publishers to also eat a lower profits to push sales and burn Sony and the other ebook sites. Apple simply is allowing publishers to charge what they think is fair. DON'T expect Amazon to be able to force publishers into a $9.99 deal if the tablet takes off.

Being a e-book reader is probably the LEAST of the capabilities the tablet has. As in "nice to have for the few that read but otherwise no one else cares". It's simply not a make or break feature.

I'll buy one if it's good at games and electronic media. I read ebooks but frankly if I wasn't willing to lug around a Kindle vs my iPhone I won't be willing to lug around the tablet JUST for reading.

It better be damn compelling for something else because the ebook market is freaking tiny.
  • Reply 36 of 155
    With my Kindle I pay ZERO for the 3g Sprint network to deliver books for usually 9.99 or less. Apple is going to require me to spend big bucks for a data plan and then charge more for book then Amazon does. Bad deal.
  • Reply 37 of 155
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

...Overhead costs on eBooks is nothing. The going rate for eBoooks could simply be determined by how much the consumer is willing to spend. Instead you you will spend as much as Apple and the publisher decide you should spend...

Wonder how long it will take for Apple to undermine the middle men publishers who are taking the huge cut of the price?

How soon will it be that online services act just like publishers (like CD Baby does for music) and get independent content on the App Store/iTunes for a small percentage of the selling price?

It's like the music/iTunes/iPod thing all over again. No wonder Steve is happy, that old pirate!
  • Reply 38 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If your done e-reading something, can one then sell the content to a e-used bookstore?

Perhaps dig old e-books out of the Trash and sell them to a used e-book store to make a little beer money?

I know you meant that as a joke, but this is a long established standard of right of first sale, and I bet you'll see the difficult in doing this as the primary reason all the publishers are jumping on the bandwagon.

No more libraries, no more resale. I love Apple, but I'm sad to see this happening.
  • Reply 39 of 155
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Book publishers are said to be in 11th hour negotiations with Apple to provide books for its forthcoming tablet, with new hardcover bestsellers priced at $12.99 and $14.99....

These are really bad prices. Also, most of what was said in the article about how much they make on them is BS. They are just doing that typical thing where they figure in every cent the spend for secretarial help to show that the "cost" of manufacturing the book to them is some ridiculous amount, and how they are really not making money at all.

In reality, the author gets a pittance for each work sold (digital or otherwise), and once the contract is signed, the digital rights go to the publisher. The actual "cost" of making a digital book is practically zero, so there is no way that a book selling for even $9.99, for which the author is getting ten cents, is not in reality making the publishers a fortune.

Even the actual real world costs of producing paper and print books, is nickels and dimes compared to the retail cost to the consumer. It's been that way for years. The "costs" you are paying for when you pay for a book are the parties, the fancy offices, the wining and dining of prospective clients, and trips to exotic locals for all concerned.

And I'm not even joking or exaggerating that much. Publishers margins are absolutely huge (they make Apple's look tiny in comparison), and the industry in general is wasteful and poorly run.
  • Reply 40 of 155
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

?Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year.

I smile every time I see this.

Guess I'll just see if I can sell to the SIXTY percent who read two books or more....