Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Comments

• Reply 221 of 785
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No new OS for the iPhone, no multitasking, no camera, stuck on AT&T's network for the time being. No thanks.

[CENTER]The absence of a camera is very strange indeed... It reall makes no sense, unless they're that afraid that the iPad will be hacked to video conference.

Who Knows...[/CENTER]
  • Reply 222 of 785
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    SOLD!

When can I buy?
  • Reply 223 of 785
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    What we got here is enlarged evolved iPod touch. More than a little disappointed. I expected something revolutionary, not evolutionary, especially with all the hype.
  • Reply 224 of 785
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Apparently Not... Oh Well[/CENTER]

Yeah this is gen1. We'll all be back to discuss rumors and ideas next year for gen2
  • Reply 225 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I bet it's incredible to hold, make you feel like you're on Star Trek. I just wish it had phone calls.

It's got mic and speaker...and 3G data. Use Skype to make calls...
  • Reply 226 of 785
    Did I miss that little nugget or is there no release date?
  • Reply 227 of 785
    Just a large iTouch.

And 1024 x 768 ??? WTF? Is this 2007?
  • Reply 228 of 785
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    underwhelming
  • Reply 229 of 785
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    To the people complaining about the $500 price and an apparent lack of features, I present you with a reality check in the joojoo. Controversy aside, it is a $500 internet device witha whole 4GB of storage.
  • Reply 230 of 785
    No hand recognition for homework, note taking, etc. It really is just a large Touch.

Cute, but no need for one.
  • Reply 231 of 785
    [CENTER]Personally, I'll be purchasing an iPad 3G/64gb ASAP, b ut...

As I peruse the various web sites that covered this event, others don't seem quite as enthusiastic about the lack of a camera, huge bezel, lack of a media card reader, no new advancements in multi-touch, and Apple's locked down ecosystem.

Only time will tell if this is just another Newton debacle.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 232 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Calling it "way better than a laptop, way better than a phone," Apple CEO Steve Jobs ... "Using this thing is remarkable. It's so much more intimate than a laptop, and it's so much more capable than a smartphone," Jobs said.

So, then, can you make phone calls with it?
  • Reply 233 of 785
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    WANT

And the price is right, too.
  • Reply 234 of 785
    It's good. I'll probably get one for myself pretty soon. Bu the sad thing is, even with the reasonalbe price, this iPad will never replace the netbooks for the majority of people who are buying netbooks for their low price. Because iPad needs another computer to sync with. It doesn't replace a computer. And it almost could. But you can't connect the iPad to I/O peripherals, e.g. cameras, printers, USB drives etc.
  • Reply 235 of 785
    The problem is that this is tooo much like an ipod touch and iphone.

I can do everything this can do on my iphone already. Its really only a bigger ipod touch.

It suffers from not having any features that cant be done on an iphone or ipod touch.
  • Reply 236 of 785
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

about f. flash? Would you just give us a break? Post ten websites you use regularly that have flash, come on.

Hulu, NFL.com, Disney.com, foxsports.com, sportsillustrated.com, cnn.com, cnet.com, sports.yahoo.com, cbs.com, ufc.com. Have you used the web much?
  • Reply 237 of 785
    I wonder if Steve showed the site with the Flash plug-in intentionally, to put pressure on Adobe perhaps. I would think he'd know exactly what sites he was going to visit in a demo and wouldn't show something he didn't want to.
  • Reply 238 of 785
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Well... That's what Apple is. It's not much, but they never let you be disappointed.

P.S. iPhone did evolve into 3G, didn't it? So may do... well... iPad...
  • Reply 239 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brit120666 View Post

Did I miss that little nugget or is there no release date?

[CENTER]60 days for the non 3G, and 90 days for the 3G versions.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 240 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The problem is that this is tooo much like an ipod touch and iphone.

I can do everything this can do on my iphone already. Its really only a bigger ipod touch.

It suffers from not having any features that cant be done on an iphone or ipod touch.

I agree, and disagree. I'm not ready to run out and buy one today, if ever, but the little 3.5" screen of our iPhones is a bit limiting for web browsing of any length, especially if you're in the over 40 crowd and small little screens don't focus that well any more.