McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 235
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

pwned. McGraw-Hill not mentioned as one of the big 5...

• Reply 222 of 235
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Right! A lot of people on this forum who thought that all of this was a controlled leak from Apple need to take a long hard look at their belief-forming mechanisms. The whole "Dude, it;'s all a conspiracy ---- Apple is totally behind this, manipulating this CEO-dude," is a symptom of an inability to understand and make sense of the evidence before you. And if you can't do it with computers, what hope have you with the opposite sex!
  • Reply 223 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Frak you.

That's frakkin' hilarious!
  • Reply 224 of 235
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

TOTAL PWNAGE mate.

You can just feel that McGraw-Hill logo that was supposed to be on that slide pulled at the very last minute.

And if you watch the keynote, there's a very nice little bit when Steve says "....Textbooks..." and then just moves on.

FRAK YOU MCGRAW-HILL!!!
  • Reply 225 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Right! A lot of people on this forum who thought that all of this was a controlled leak from Apple need to take a long hard look at their belief-forming mechanisms. The whole "Dude, it;'s all a conspiracy ---- Apple is totally behind this, manipulating this CEO-dude," is a symptom of an inability to understand and make sense of the evidence before you. And if you can't do it with computers, what hope have you with the opposite sex!

The opposite sex IS a conspiracy. To what ends I haven't figured out yet.
  • Reply 226 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Steve. Was this using safari that plays any codec. How much was it. Tell me it was not between $699-999, plus$30 a month for access and limited only to iTunes apps and movies. Thanks

Signed, many concern citizens.

No Flash. No XVID. No MKV... ETC.
  • Reply 227 of 235
    Once Steve takes a few walks in the Zen garden, and does ten breaths and some Asana they'll get back on pushing textbooks. Textbooks in the Education market will be a killer app.

Quote:

TOTAL PWNAGE mate.

You can just feel that McGraw-Hill logo that was supposed to be on that slide pulled at the very last minute.

And if you watch the keynote, there's a very nice little bit when Steve says "....Textbooks..." and then just moves on.

FRAK YOU MCGRAW-HILL!!!

• Reply 228 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

Just fire the guy.

Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPad

F****IN BRILLIANT!!! Ha Ha
  • Reply 229 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

The ? Of the day is, is this $999 hardware going to be able to stream content besides iTunes, QuickTime and YouTube? Or will we be seeing lots of squares unable to play results?

The squares are for your health. Blocking evils like Flash, ActiveX and WMV plug-in thingies.

Apple needs to sort out Flash by the middle of the year. They can't keep avoiding it. Though they still will sell millions and millions of iPhones and iPads.
  • Reply 230 of 235
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:

The squares are for your health. Blocking evils like Flash, ActiveX and WMV plug-in thingies.

Apple needs to sort out Flash by the middle of the year. They can't keep avoiding it. Though they still will sell millions and millions of iPhones and iPads.

Apple does not own flash technology, Adobe does, they need to get off their lazy butts and optimize it for mobile processors.
  • Reply 231 of 235
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Hmm, and yet there it is, an underpowered 1 GHz Apple A4 processor courtesy of PA Semi...

Did we watch the same presentation? My scenerio, which you quoted, seems to be exactly what has occured. We won't know exacy how much Apple has done to that chip but the likely outcome is it's a tweaking of a Cortex-A8 or A9.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

The lack of MH on the slide doesn't exclude the possibility that it still wasn't planned on the CEO's part. He could have excluded a long time ago for a variety of reasons. He wasn't expected to take the stage, but worst of all, the iPad won't be releasing textbooks without any dynamic annotation system. Maybe in v4.0.

PS: The iPhone prefers to auto-correct 'iPad' to 'upas'. I assume that will change with th next update.
  • Reply 232 of 235
    Quote:

No Flash. No XVID. No MKV... ETC.

The MKV container would be nice but we both it won't ever show up.

XviD/AVI has even been dropped by Handbrake because it's so outdated so to expect that just isn't good. It's a bit depressing AVI is still used so much.

No on should expect Flash on a non-Mac. The reasons are more than clear for personal streaming video are clear and Apple's position is even clearer. We're seeing it being chosled at on the desktop, too. I don't think it'll be more than a couple years before the major sites are pushing HTML5 video tags as standard.
  • Reply 233 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The MKV container would be nice but we both it won't ever show up.

XviD/AVI has even been dropped by Handbrake because it's so outdated so to expect that just isn't good. It's a bit depressing AVI is still used so much.

No on should expect Flash on a non-Mac. The reasons are more than clear for personal streaming video are clear and Apple's position is even clearer. We're seeing it being chosled at on the desktop, too. I don't think it'll be more than a couple years before the major sites are pushing HTML5 video tags as standard.

Flash on the iPad at least will be important for that one little niggle people will have with it. WMV and other AVI playback plugins be damned, but Flash and Flash video, it can be useful for the overall web browsing experience.

I of course really support HTML5 video and so on, but we know Flash is not going away anytime soon.

We'll see though, how users of the iPad, etc. will get by with or without it.

In some cases they might actually have a nice browsing experience on the iPad because they don't have all sorts of crazy ads and Flash gizmo thingies clogging up the page.
  • Reply 234 of 235
    Quote:

Flash on the iPad at least will be important for that one little niggle people will have with it. WMV and other AVI playback plugins be damned, but Flash and Flash video, it can be useful for the overall web browsing experience.

I of course really support HTML5 video and so on, but we know Flash is not going away anytime soon.

Let's separate a Flash site from a site using Flash for streaming video.

Flash video streaming sites are beginning the end of their reign. It'll take awhile but the shift has started. With Apple and Google pushing HTML5 for video, among other things, it simply won't stand a chance, and I don't think anyone should rationally expect Apple to support Flash for video streaming.

Dynamic Flash sites are still going to be able to do a lot more than "webcode" can do and do it with considerably less effort for the developer. Proprietary Flash surely won't rule forever but the end hasn't even been theorized yet. Look at the HTML5 Canvas element. It's not nearly as easy to develop for as Flash, it's much more limited and there are no resource savings like there are with HTML5 video. I think it may even be worse for resources but it's hard to tell.

Quote:

We'll see though, how users of the iPad, etc. will get by with or without it.

After 2.5 years it doesn't seem to be as big of problem as people thought it would. Once Hulu announces the shift then I think the balance of power for streaming Flash video will be irreversible. Flash would eat through through those resources, affecting battery and load times so I think that end of it people are happy about, if they even realize that as effect.

Quote:

In some cases they might actually have a nice browsing experience on the iPad because they don't have all sorts of crazy ads and Flash gizmo thingies clogging up the page.

The longterm problem with Flash ads being removed is advertisers moving to HTML5, using CPU heavy elements like Canvas, accessing your GPU with WebGL and having to find a more complex system to turn off the ads. This is the unfortunate side-effect of the pushing out the popular plug-in.

PS: I'm sure this was mentioned more than once yesterday but I was offline... I think it's funny, in a somewhat pathetic way, that Jobs navigated to a site with Flash on it yesterday. The whole presentation seems like it was thrown together at the last minute without any rehearsing. He must have mentioned the accelerometer auto-adjuxting the orientation a half dozen times or more. Welcome to MacWorld 2007, Jobs!
  • Reply 235 of 235
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Let's separate a Flash site from a site using Flash for streaming video.

If only Adobe would make the same distinction. <sigh>

Quote:

Flash video streaming sites are beginning the end of their reign. It'll take awhile but the shift has started. With Apple and Google pushing HTML5 for video, among other things, it simply won't stand a chance, and I don't think anyone should rationally expect Apple to support Flash for video streaming.

Dynamic Flash sites are still going to be able to do a lot more than "webcode" can do and do it with considerably less effort for the developer. Proprietary Flash surely won't rule forever but the end hasn't even been theorized yet. Look at the HTML5 Canvas element. It's not nearly as easy to develop for as Flash, it's much more limited and there are no resource savings like there are with HTML5 video. I think it may even be worse for resources but it's hard to tell.

After 2.5 years it doesn't seem to be as big of problem as people thought it would. Once Hulu announces the shift then I think the balance of power for streaming Flash video will be irreversible. Flash would eat through through those resources, affecting battery and load times so I think that end of it people are happy about, if they even realize that as effect.

It was nice to see Vimeo taking early steps towards H.264 and the HTML5 video tag as well. The tide may be turning.

Quote:

The longterm problem with Flash ads being removed is advertisers moving to HTML5, using CPU heavy elements like Canvas, accessing your GPU with WebGL and having to find a more complex system to turn off the ads. This is the unfortunate side-effect of the pushing out the popular plug-in.

When I do click on a Flash placeholder on my Macs (ClickToFlash on Safari, Flashblock on Firefox), I'm always pleasantly surprised at how reliably rick752's Adblock Plus Tracking Filter is at removing the underlying ad content.

As far as the Flash placeholders on the demo yesterday, I took that as a real-world demomonstration -- to those who understand the issue -- that Flash was not going to be supported, but without explicitly having to call out Adobe or Flash. And the NYTimes, etc. were watching the same demo and are getting the same message: for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, its H.264 video or nothing.