iPad Likes/Dislikes

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
+ Form-factor, multi-touch

Dislikes:

- My hands will get tired holding that thing!

- Seems underpowered (A4 chip? how much RAM, or is it XIP-execute in place, ie, RAM=storage)

- Missing iSight

- Not worth the media hype

- People have already bought a netbook or kindle

- $499???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

+ Form-factor, multi-touch

Dislikes:

- Seems underpowered (A4 chip? how much RAM, or is it XIP-execute in place, ie, RAM=storage)

- Missing iSight

- Not worth the media hype

- I already bought a netbook

- $499???

Video Output capabilities

BT Keyboard support

Compact design yet 10hr battery life

IPS screen

3G support with affordable rates and Sim card

Very tastefully done improvements to iCal, Mail and Address Book

Dislikes

Up to 90 day wait

No camera

No OLED (I figure by Gen 3 it'll be affordable)

No BT Magic Mouse support

No Multitasking
  • Reply 2 of 79
    size

battery life

iWork

video out

the folding case/stand

camera import capability

Dislikes:

the wait

Doesn't bother me:

No camera

No multitasking

The iPad is all I need to get some of my work done while I'm away from home or the office. I'll also be able to watch videos all the way up to Tokyo (7 hour train ride).
  • Reply 3 of 79
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Video Output capabilities

BT Keyboard support

Compact design yet 10hr battery life

IPS screen

3G support with affordable rates and Sim card

Very tastefully done improvements to iCal, Mail and Address Book

I haven't really seen anyone talking about the screen aspect in real world use yet.

I always envisioned the iPAD as a Kindle competitor that would do a lot more (and it does). In that respect I think the use of an IPS screen is one thing that actually counts as a negative. IPS LCDs, while brilliant indoors, will look washed out in bright sunlight just like the existing iPhone LCD screens. I live in a sunny climate, I enjoy reading books outdoors by the pool/beach. With a Kindle and it's E-Ink display I can do that.

Had Apple been able to incorporate an OLED screen I think it would've been a much better product to me and others who would want to use this device outdoors. Unfortunately the technology is not yet mature enough for that. We'll have to wait for iPad2 or 3.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Form-Factor

OS

Dislikes:

Lack of handwriting recognition
  • Reply 5 of 79

Dislikes: People asking what they like and dislike about a product they haven't seen yet.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Could a pogo-stylus and a third party note app give handwriting recognition?

Price.

Dislikes:

Price.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    form/screen size

multitouch

HD local/output

iWork

Dislikes:

$130 3G premium

90 day wait

No iLife (yet)
  • Reply 8 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Dislikes: People asking what they like and dislike about a product they haven't seen yet.

Oh come on, doctor, lets get with the spirit of the thing. For instance, per the OP, I have no idea what the "A4" chip is, so it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that it "seems underpowered."

Because if it were really powerful that chip would be called the "A4 Giga-EXTREME!" Why, I wonder, did Apple fail to use the A4 Giga-EXTREME!, or perhaps the near mystical Snapdragon, well known to make shitty UIs run really fast?

Because they deliberately crippled the iPad to force you to do something else bad! OK, I've run out of steam here, but it's safe to say that the iPad is a huge failure that only trendy posers will buy on account of the bees. In my head. God, so many bees.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

All 1.5 pounds of it? It's half the weight of the Macbook Air.

Quote:

We don't know the RAM yet. We know the A4 is based off the Cortex A9 but the A9 was always referred to as the multi-core model.

There is in fact a single-core model:

http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM...ingleCore.html

and this has been referred to as being 1GHz in marketing and they mentioned it was capable of up to 2GHz.

Slightly disappointing because Tegra 2 and Snapdragon will move to dual-core later this year. I would guess 512MB RAM is inside.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

I don't think OLED is better than LED-backlit IPS. With it being backlit, it means that it can hold up in daylight.

The screen is the only thing I like about the device.

I mainly dislike the fact it's not a controlling device. There are 3 models: 16GB $499, 32GB $599, 64GB $699. If they had managed to pull off the 64GB model for $599 and just sell one device but allow it to actually manage your photo collection and music and sync those changes to an ipod/iphone without the need for a computer, I think it would have been much more useful. Any losses could have been made up by the 3G model subsidies.

What better way to pull people away from their crusty old PCs once and for all than let them do everything they need on the iPad including managing their music, photos and backups.

People will ask 'but what if I want to delete a song? I have to walk all the way upstairs to my computer open itunes, delete the track, plug in the iPad and sync so that the change is made?'.

I'm also not keen on the iphone OS. I like the snappiness of it but the apps are so weak. PC tablets are coming with the 9400M, which will play games like Modern Warfare, Bioshock etc.

The iPad will satisfy some people but eventually they will hit that point where they realize it's a very watered down computing experience with loads of bits missing that still requires a proper computer and that computer will still be a Windows PC for most.

I was expecting more from the battery life but 10 hours is pretty good and they have to keep it light.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think OLED is better than LED-backlit IPS. With it being backlit, it means that it can hold up in daylight.

If they were mass produced and affordable, but were everything else they are now Apple would have used them. The daylight thing is a minor inconvenience, and LCD performs poorly in direct sunlight anyway. The whole sunlight thing has been blown out of all proportion and miss-reported numerous times too.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh come on, doctor, lets get with the spirit of the thing. For instance, per the OP, I have no idea what the "A4" chip is, so it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that it "seems underpowered."

Because if it were really powerful that chip would be called the "A4 Giga-EXTREME!" Why, I wonder, did Apple fail to use the A4 Giga-EXTREME!, or perhaps the near mystical Snapdragon, well known to make shitty UIs run really fast?

Because they deliberately crippled the iPad to force you to do something else bad! OK, I've run out of steam here, but it's safe to say that the iPad is a huge failure that only trendy posers will buy on account of the bees. In my head. God, so many bees.

If you got bees, make honey. That's what I always say.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's not a question of affordability. You can see an iPhone or iPod Touch EASILY in direct sunlight (without shielding it). You cannot see a Zune at all in direct sunlight.

If I have an iPad, I will want to see it wherever I am. You can't shield a 10" screen from the sunlight with your hand. Haha, especially when you're holding it with one hand and using the other as a pointer.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Exactly!

There will be a camera (eventually). There will be multitasking (beyond basic push-notification) at release time. There will be handwriting recognition.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If they were mass produced and affordable, but were everything else they are now Apple would have used them. The daylight thing is a minor inconvenience, and LCD performs poorly in direct sunlight anyway. The whole sunlight thing has been blown out of all proportion and miss-reported numerous times too.

you'll make up anything to fit with your small opinion
  • Reply 15 of 79
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    This bee can't wait to get his hands on that flower. Perfect for what I will use it for. And so much potential, Joe Hewitt is right, developers should be excited. I also think BGR is on to something here...
  • Reply 16 of 79
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

size

battery life

iWork

video out

the folding case/stand

camera import capability

Dislikes:

the wait

Doesn't bother me:

No camera

No multitasking

The iPad is all I need to get some of my work done while I'm away from home or the office. I'll also be able to watch videos all the way up to Tokyo (7 hour train ride).

seconded

but I'll add huge bezel as a dislike, but I'm still getting one
  • Reply 17 of 79
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Dislikes:

Bezel is too big

No specialized OS (it's just the iphone OS oversized)

No Multitasking

Not very innovative

LCD might not be good enough for reading

aspect ratio sucks for movies

No Flash

Price

Custom apps should be nice

Reading quickly to become plentiful

The no camera thing wasn't that important to me. But I'm sure Steve will charge us for one when people buy version 2.0.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

seconded

but I'll add huge bezel as a dislike, but I'm still getting one

1. It's not a huge as you think. 2. You can't get away with a much smaller bezel as it's the thing that stops you pressing the screen when holding iPad.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

you'll make up anything to fit with your small opinion

I can't find a link to it now but there has been an extensive article done that disproves this argument pretty much completely.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

1. It's not a huge as you think. 2. You can't get away with a much smaller bezel as it's the thing that stops you pressing the screen when holding iPad.

Which is why they should have done something innovative here that solves both problems even if it would have made the unit more expensive. But personally I don't think it would of. There must be a way to somehow hide a bezel while still making it seem like it's all screen.

Gawd Jonny Ive got lazy on this one.