The iPad; The internet . . . everywhere.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

The only thing I see the iPad to be better for is when using it while standing up. Laptops are pretty unusable in that case and the iPad clearly comes out ahead. Everywhere else I think laptops are easier to use, because everywhere else there's somewhere to place the laptop on top of. When I'm lying down on a couch or bed reading a book, my arms get pretty tired holding the book in front of me after an hour or so. It's much better to have a laptop in front of me because it just sits there without me having to hold it. iPads will have the same problem. You could use the kickstand case to sit it on your lap but it would be pretty wobbly and still won't have a keyboard. Or you could use it with the keyboard dock while sitting or lying on a couch/bed but if you are going to do that...might as well use a laptop anyway. So I suppose the iPad solves the problem of using a computer while standing up? That's pretty limited...

You're looking at it solely from an ergonomic standpoint.

The iPad can be left comfortably on your coffee table and not be an eyesore. You can pick it up like you would a magazine and it's instantly on. It doesn't have to be opened and you don't need to situate yourself to make room for it to rest in your lap. You navigate on the screen with your fingers, which is far more elegant than using a trackpad — especially from the couch. It's theoretically light enough to hold in the air when you just need to check something briefly, before setting it back down. And maybe most importantly, the touchscreen and the well-designed new application interfaces that accompany it just look to be a much more fun, enjoyable experience for Safari, Mail, and Photo-viewing.

Is it a necessary device for people, capable of things they can't already do with what they have? No, but neither are automatic doors and power windows.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

You're looking at it solely from an ergonomic standpoint.

The iPad can be left comfortably on your coffee table and not be an eyesore. You can pick it up like you would a magazine and it's instantly on. It doesn't have to be opened and you don't need to situate yourself to make room for it to rest in your lap. You navigate on the screen with your fingers, which is far more elegant than using a trackpad — especially from the couch. It's theoretically light enough to hold in the air when you just need to check something briefly, before setting it back down. And maybe most importantly, the touchscreen and the well-designed new application interfaces that accompany it just look to be a much more fun, enjoyable experience for Safari, Mail, and Photo-viewing.

Is it a necessary device for people, capable of things they can't already do with what they have? No, but neither are automatic doors and power windows.

I'm average and I will buy one. Ok, maybe a little bit other than average but a product that I can carry multiple books around and have the web. This thing has leisure written all over it, and I'm all about leisure.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Be serious. If I am lying on my couch, then I will be able to place the iPad on my belly and prop it up with one hand to read the screen. Not exactly a Herculean task. The notion that I can use a laptop hands-free while lying on a couch is pure fantasy.

Equally fantastic is your assertion about reading in bed. I have tried using my laptop in bed. If I sit up on the bed with the legs curled under me, then yes. If I have the space beside me, I can move a pillow and place a laptop where a pillow is supposed to be. But, there is nothing natural or natural-like about using a laptop while in bed. Reading a book or magazine is a much better experience. I expect the iPad to be even easier because, like a laptop, it will provide its own light. No need to turn on the lights to use the device.

If you are lying in bed with your back propped up by a pillow, what's wrong with placing the laptop on your outstretched legs? When in that position, if I were to choose between holding a book with one hand, and using a laptop that doesn't require holding at all, I prefer the laptop. This is from personal experience, not speculation. This is assuming a light (<5lbs), cool-running laptop, but those are pretty common. Sure, reading in bed holding a book sounds pretty comfortable, but after an hour or two arm strain definitely sets in.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

If you are lying in bed with your back propped up by a pillow, what's wrong with placing the laptop on your outstretched legs? ...

You do understand that you have discredited your original thesis. It is intuitive and natural to "curl-up with a good book." You are asking me to stretch-out with a laptop. I submit to you that it is better and more intuitive to "curl-up with an iPad." Make no mistake. The 1.5 pound iPad will give the user many more options to be comfortable than any 5 pound laptop ever could. Say your arm will get tired after an hour? Well, the iPad will require only one hand to hold it. You don't have to hold your arm in the air while using your iPad. After an hour, switch arms.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

You do understand that you have discredited your original thesis. It is intuitive and natural to "curl-up with a good book." You are asking me to stretch-out with a laptop. I submit to you that it is better and more intuitive to "curl-up with an iPad." Make no mistake. The 1.5 pound iPad will give the user many more options to be comfortable than any 5 pound laptop ever could. Say your arm will get tired after an hour? Well, the iPad will require only one hand to hold it. You don't have to hold your arm in the air while using your iPad. After an hour, switch arms.

What do you mean by curl up? Do you mean lying on your side? I almost never read books in bed that way and I don't think that's what people usually do. I think what's usually done is lying on your back, propped up by pillows, with your legs stretched out in front of you.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

What do you mean by curl up? Do you mean lying on your side? I almost never read books in bed that way and I don't think that's what people usually do. I think what's usually done is lying on your back, propped up by pillows, with your legs stretched out in front of you.

There are more things under Heaven and Earth that are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio.

--from Hamlet by William Shakespeare
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

There are more things under Heaven and Earth that are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio.

--from Hamlet by William Shakespeare

You too, my friend, have assumed that your preferred position is what's "intuitive and natural".