Briefly: Intel short on supply of MacBook Pro-bound processors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

How many devices are currently using all USB 2.0 bandwidth? Tests that I have seen online have shown no real boost in switching to USB3 to date. Also Asus is typically the first (or second) company to offer any given feature. They're usually right on top of things and I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard Intel was waiting till 2011 that Asus was releasing stuff for USB3 anyway.

I've seen some tests of HDDs, SSDs, USB Flash Drives and SD cards, or some combination of those that show it to be pretty good. Certainly better than the USB2.0 speeds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baron Munchausen View Post

I just wish for a QuadCore inside a MBP, as I heard last time round the upgrade was discussed the Intel offerings were a tad too hot.

i think those Quads start at 45W TDP and Apple only uses 35W TDP in their Macs. Plus, the performance to the power requirements don't seem to be favourable. For a portable workstation, not a laptop, that would be fine but Apple doesn't seem to be interested in that market.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 122member
    I call shenanigans !

I cant remember where I saw the post, but someone showed stock levels at a major UK IT Online seller for i3/i5/i7 laptops for major Laptop makers. All were in stock and available for next day delivery.

eg. Sony / HP / Compaq / Acer .... all have Core i series laptops out, and ready to buy.. even in the UK which normally gets stock way later than other major places like the US.

Apple's delay isnt because of this. Other PC makers are seriously not struggling to get their i3/i5/i7 products out there. Hell, I could have bought an S Series i5 laptop from Sony weeks ago in the UK.

(I nearly did, but am waiting to see what Apple push out [assuming its in the next month!]... and no OSX is not the be all and end all for me now that Win7 is out)
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Everything I've seen about Intel's WiFi is that it is a separate chip or module. It's not as if Apple is installing Intel chips capabile of WiFi and then adding someone else's. I don't know why Intel's chips aren't used, I can't find that answer.

Yeah, you're right, so that would be a different situation than Intel's USB3.0 implementation.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Well it's good to know at least that somebody is interested in manufacturing powerful small computing devices and not sofa-inducing granny tablets. It's been almost a year since the last MBP update- truly pathetic.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    This would explain the cause of much time for this update.

I also hope in USB 3.0 implementation!
  • Reply 26 of 66
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    I would be more worried about getting USB3 if there was more USB3 available. Newegg only has 5 hard drives with USB3 for sale. Yes I know, future ready and all, but I'm not super worried at the moment.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Am I correct in thinking that LightPeak supersedes USB3? If so, perhaps Apple is going to to ignore it and go straight to the new standard. Apple have been very proactive pushing the development of LP, perhaps they will do to it what they did to USB 1.1 with the original iMac, namely be the first to bring the new tech to a mass market.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Am I correct in thinking that LightPeak supersedes USB3? If so, perhaps Apple is going to to ignore it and go straight to the new standard. Apple have been very proactive pushing the development of LP, perhaps they will do to it what they did to USB 1.1 with the original iMac, namely be the first to bring the new tech to a mass market.

1) I don't think LightPeak is even finalized while USB3.0 was completed 1.5 years ago.

2) There will still be a lot of devices for a long, long time that will use USB and they aren't mutually exclusive so I see no problem with offering both.

3) The Bondi Blue iMac shipped in August 1998. If you look at the version history of USB, it had been out for awhile before Apple adopted it. It seems it was v1.1 that Apple adopted right away and made standard for it's machine. I think the USB1.1 standard was completed back in 1996, but I can't confirm that.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I don't think LightPeak is even finalized while USB3.0 was completed 1.5 years ago.

But USB3 has still to be widely adopted. There was talk here a few months back about Apple working very closely with Intel on LP - perhaps it is further advanced in their labs than is publicly known.

Quote:

2) There will still be a lot of devices for a long, long time that will use USB and they aren't mutually exclusive so I see no problem with offering both.

True, but of all the hardware companies one single truly universal port is Apple heaven, it is such a perfect fit to their design ethos..

Quote:

3) The Bondi Blue iMac shipped in August 1998. If you look at the version history of USB, it had been out for awhile before Apple adopted it. It seems it was v1.1 that Apple adopted right away and made standard for it's machine. I think the USB1.1 standard was completed back in 1996, but I can't confirm that.

I did specify mass market. USB did co-exist on other hardware with all the other ports, but with the iMac Apple ditched all the legacy ports, thus forcing the issue somewhat. With its excellent legacy compatibility that would not be an issue with LP.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post

I call shenanigans !

I cant remember where I saw the post, but someone showed stock levels at a major UK IT Online seller for i3/i5/i7 laptops for major Laptop makers. All were in stock and available for next day delivery.

eg. Sony / HP / Compaq / Acer .... all have Core i series laptops out, and ready to buy.. even in the UK which normally gets stock way later than other major places like the US.

I also have seen ads for Win laptops using the i3, i5, i7 processors.

I just checked on the Dell Vostro laptop page (US), and the models with those processors show est. ship date of 4/09. So about three weeks off. I haven't checked on any other notebook vendors - if they are shipping 'today', or if they are in the constrained channel.

Point being that yes, some vendors have them and many have announced them.

SOOOOOO, come on Apple, Bring out or announce the MacBook Pros with the screamin' Core i3, i5, i7. (please...)

Especially since the last MacBook Pro update last mid 2009, was mostly a slight C2D speed bump increase.

Another point though, sometimes Apple seems to have gotten first crack at some of the newest Intel chips, so I would have thought that Apple qualified as a top-tier, first-rank chip customer with Intel. Is this not the case?
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:

But USB3 has still to be widely adopted. There was talk here a few months back about Apple working very closely with Intel on LP - perhaps it is further advanced in their labs than is publicly known.

True, but of all the hardware companies one single truly universal port is Apple heaven, it is such a perfect fit to their design ethos..

I did specify mass market. USB did co-exist on other hardware with all the other ports, but with the iMac Apple ditched all the legacy ports, thus forcing the issue somewhat. With its excellent legacy compatibility that would not be an issue with LP.

All good points but I can't see the USB port interface being dropped like serial or parallel. Even if they got rid of one USB for a couple LP ports the fact that USB3.0 is backwards compatible to earlier USB and the port itself is identical i would still expect them to add support for it. Add in the USB3.0 being on the ready my money is on USB3.0 being introduced before LightPeak.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:

All good points but I can't see the USB port interface being dropped like serial or parallel. Even if they got rid of one USB for a couple LP ports the fact that USB3.0 is backwards compatible to earlier USB and the port itself is identical i would still expect them to add support for it. Add in the USB3.0 being on the ready my money is on USB3.0 being introduced before LightPeak.

I guess we'll find out soon enough! As for FW3200...
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:

I guess we'll find out soon enough! As for FW3200...

The dropping of the FW400 port made sense but is Apple not going to update past FW800? It's not looking good.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:

The dropping of the FW400 port made sense but is Apple not going to update past FW800? It's not looking good.

Agreed on both counts.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:

This would explain the lack of an update.

Well then it could be the Nehalem mobile chips because it made news a few days ago that the short supply is due to Acer buying up large volumes of the i7,i5 and i3 CPU's.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100318PD209.html
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:

1) +1

2) +1 again

3) At that time, Firewire was better. (And technically still superior with each successive update.) Probably the reason for the delay back then, but now insignificant. No reason they cannot offer all three, especially if they ditch the optical drives.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

...especially if they ditch the optical drives.

Eventually it'll happen. Not soon enough for us, but eventually.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Just curious. What would you consider as your solution if they do discontinue the optical drives?

Just plug in an external as needed, a la the MacBook Air?
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

No reason they cannot offer all three, especially if they ditch the optical drives.

But isn't the point with LP that it can handle USB and FW through the same port? I had a quick look at Wiki where it states;

Quote:

Intel has stated that Light Peak is protocol independent, allowing it to support existing standards with a change of the physical medium.

Not quite sure what "change of physical medium' actually means, but my impression was it was one port fits all.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:

You know, I just realized: other than a few CDs and audio DVDs which I've ripped over the past few months, I haven't touched the optical drive in my iMac for anything all that important. (Even the importance of the "ripping" is debatable.)

All of the programs I've installed (both professional & recreational) were downloaded. Almost all of the music & movies I've purchased were downloads.

A world without optical drives...

Can you say, "iPad?"

Eventually (and I do mean eventually), the only "Apple" product may very well be the later generations of the iPad.