Rumor suggests Apple could release new MacBook Pros April 13

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As the wait for new MacBook Pro notebooks from Apple continues to grow, yet another rumor suggests their release is imminent, with a new report claiming a refresh is set for next Tuesday.

Thursday's article from the Australian Macworld claims that Apple will update all of its MacBook Pro models on April 13, according to a source familiar with Apple product cycles and inventory levels. That same source said they were unsure about a MacBook Air refresh.

The tipster also said they were "unsure" about rumors of an April 24 international release for the iPad, though they said the date is "likely." That date first surfaced last week, when a report claimed that Canadian Apple store staff have the weekend of April 24 as a "blackout period," meaning they cannot take the days off.

Earlier this week, a Taiwanese newspaper claimed Apple has delayed updates to its MacBook, MacBook pro and MacBook Air notebook computers due to alleged Intel processor supply issues. Thursday's report, however, made no mention of the low-end MacBook being updated next Tuesday.

The Taiwanese report alleged that the new MacBook Pro systems will sport 640GB hard drives, or have an option of 248GB solid state drives. It also said the computers will offer 8 hours of battery life.

Some users have been waiting on a refresh to Apple's MacBook Pro line for months. Apple last updated its MacBook Pro line in June at the Worldwide Developers Conference. Those systems included Core 2 Duo processors and Nvidia graphics, along with cheaper prices, better displays and built-in batteries.

Last month it was revealed that Intel was struggling to meet demand for its new family of Core mobile processors. The report claimed that Intel's Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 processors were all said to be in tight supply.

In addition to processors, AppleInsider has also shared alternative factors that are possibly contributing to the lengthy wait for MacBook upgrades, with dual graphics improvements expected to turn up in new MacBook Pros sometime this year. Sources have said the Mac maker has tested several next-generation notebooks that can switch between their integrated and discrete graphics processors automatically.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    High-end = Core i7!!
  • Reply 2 of 59
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    this is the exact same rumor we see every week, only with the date pushed back again and again.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    As if there is anyone waiting to get a new MBP

About time--hope that this is not just another rumor
  • Reply 4 of 59
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Here we go again... I'll believe it when I see it.

My guess is that Apple would have some kind of event since this seems that it might be a pretty significant update. New processor, possible major changes to graphics system, and then the other host of possibilities such as USB 3.0. Just doesn't seem like this update would be handled with a quiet refresh.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I am.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    I'm SO SICK of this constant "Next Tuesday" rumor that I could puke. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Like I said before....

Just me and a few zillion of my developer friends.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    vsighivsighi Posts: 22member
    I want the Macbook Air updated with a mini display port....yes,yes,yes, give it to me...\
  • Reply 9 of 59
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Yea whatever, they just keep pushing it back further and further. If this is true it means apple will do 3 significant events in the course of a week or so (iPad, 4.0 and MBP). Of course I doubt the design will change so this could just be a silent update that we will wake up to.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    I hope Apple doesn't use a processor that's been available in PC's since October... I don't like the idea of paying a premium for 6-month old hardware, when my experience has been that most processors have a 4-5 year window of usability....

Also, everybody should just quit predicting USB3 and Lightpipe. Intel won't support USB3 until at least the end of the year, Lightpipe won't be ready until 2012, and neither products are necessary for their iPod/iPad/iPhone lines, where their focus is squarely placed nowadays.

I doubt Apple will take any iPad or iPhone engineers away from their work to find a USB3 implementation when they can just sit back and wait for Intel to do it.

I'm thinking it'll be a spec refresh now, 1TB hard drives with a 512 SSD option, 16GB max ram, top of the line i5/i7 processors, higher capacity battery, brighter screen, some sort of combi graphics card.

Totally new design at the end of 2010/start of 2011 will see a move to a single type of port which can be adapted to USB/FW/DVI/ethernet/etc.

I also fully expect Apple to drop optical drives from all of its laptops in the near future. Either to shave another half-inch off the thickness, or to make room for dual-batteries (more likely the former). Apple's business model is against CD's and DVD's, and in about a year or two will also preclude BluRay for 1080i content.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    USB 3.0, Bluray or quad core...

two out of three and I'll bite

But I guess this update will save me money.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Wait?!!?

Apple makes computers too?!?!!?!
  • Reply 13 of 59
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Any speculation on the speed and battery saving power if the rumored 248GB solid state drive is used?

That is large enough for my notebook and if the battery life and speed were there, it would be a solid option for me.

Also, the MBA needs 8 hours battery life I would buy one. So, I am adding that to my wish list and I would get an air over the 13".
  • Reply 14 of 59
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Bluray

Yea... that's not gonna happen... perhaps not ever....

1. The Studios will not expand (nor improve) its offerings to Apples iTunes Store until BluRay becomes more of a success.

2. Apple will not contribute to BluRay's success at the expense of loosing people who'd otherwise buy from iTunes.

That's my personal take on it anyway. I have no facts to back up these assertions, it's simply what my gut is telling me.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    In honor of this rumor, I've changed my sig.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member
    bought my last laptop in the dark ages, holding it together with duct tape; I'd love to see a 15" MBA; they're due for a cosmetic update at very least to match the black screen surround that is the signature of the current lineup of MBPs, iPad and iPhone
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Add me to the list of wait and see what Apple does next. If the MBP refresh is significant, I will be in the market. Time for new ports... would love to see eSATA, but would settle for USB3. If this is a minimal update, I may wait another year, and get an iPad for my portable needs.
  • Reply 18 of 59
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    my MBP 17" 2.8 core 2 duo will be fine for me for at least another year....
  • Reply 19 of 59
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Anyone else thing the Macbook AIR is toast?

Apple wants all music and movies purchased via iTunes - why have an optical drive? By removing the optical drive and switching to SSD in all laptops, they can come close enough to the AIR's thickness that it won't be a novelty any more, especially when folks can use the iPad as an ultraportable.

I don't think the air was every very successful anyways....
  • Reply 20 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Here we go again... I'll believe it when I see it.

My guess is that Apple would have some kind of event since this seems that it might be a pretty significant update. New processor, possible major changes to graphics system, and then the other host of possibilities such as USB 3.0. Just doesn't seem like this update would be handled with a quiet refresh.

agreed. I also question a refresh in the middle of the whole ipad thing.

seems more likely to me that they would do it in May, probably late, with some fanfare if there's anything really major happening. If it's just bigger hard drives etc they won't bother with the press but I still think May after the ipad is fully out, at least in the US. Let the stores focus on one thing at a time.

if they plan to do the whole Back to School summer thing, and I suspect they will, it works. No one will be fussing about an update 3 weeks in like last year or worse 3 weeks after it's over like years before. Plus they could add the ipad as an item like they have with the bigger touches, classic etc and they would want both models avail (pushing that whole etextbook notion) and in decent stock. they could even launch the new laptops and the BtS thing at the same time. Really plus that idea that Apple is about Education (something they did years ago by having really pushing colleges and such to use Macs in their computer labs)