In-depth review: Apple's iPad and iPhone OS 3.2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And there's rarely any save commands. Apps that work with documents save them automatically as you work, typically using a version control system that allows you to undo all of your changes step by step, even after you quit the app and then reopen the file again.

There's no exposed file system nor file permissions nor open file dialogs nor anything like the Finder for exploring the iPhone OS' internal file system. There's also no sense of managing which app opens which file, because apps only open their own files.

All of these things are missing because Apple has decided that the way things are in computing is often not necessary or desirable, but merely an accepted convention that is often confusing and complicating in a way that adds very little value to most users, but saddles them with a level of complexity they needn't bear.

I find this very interesting. It made me realize that the original Mac OS, revolutionary as it was, was mainly just a GUI layer on top of the old command-line way of doing things. The iPhone OS, in contrast, introduces new and simpler ways to do things. I mean, selecting a folder from a visual menu is easier than typing the path, but not even thinking about where the file is saved is even easier.

Personally, I fear some of the directions that software design have taken ... MS Office's "ribbons" that try to guess what commands you want to use, versus laying all the commands out logically in menus, for example ... but I've seen intelligent adults struggle with concepts like the "Save As..." command, so I know that more abstraction would empower more people.

By the way, I've noticed a whole new wave of anti-Apple prejudice since the iPad launch ... people are just stubborn about opposing new things, I guess, and some people seem to be especially offended by new Apple initiatives ... but within a couple years I expect to see the rest of the industry following its lead!
  • Reply 22 of 113
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    It does go down to Edge for the 3G model.

A point that Gruber touched on - Because of the larger screen size, it seems that when loading websites on the 8 or so pages allowed - the iPad uses a lot more of the 256MB RAM, and that you're very likely to see a lot more page refreshes, even swapping between two pages, you could see refreshing each time, more so than on the iPhone.

A bit annoying by the sounds of it.

It has to be remembered - this is a v1 product, launched a few days ago. The iPad team has only just seen OS 4.0 beta, whilst working on their 3.2 OS for the iPad. It'll take a while to get features in. It's also v. likely that there will be more features. Once the Data Centre is online, MobileMe update is done, OS 4.0 is out etc.
  • Reply 23 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Its not a TV remote, move along!

It's not a useful product, move along!
  • Reply 24 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

www.logitech.com.

There are also some higher end solutions, too, but they're mostly out of my budget.

I agree that the iPad could make a great remote. I just don't know how many people are going to want a 1.5 pound remote. Probably not enough to justify building it in - adding cost, weight, and battery consumption. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if someone offers an add-on gadget which connects to the docking port to control IR devices.

Am I crazy here? You're going to be lounging on the couch while you're using it. You're really going to want to lean over and grab some other remote when you have a giant touchscreen fully capable of doing the same tasks other than it's got no IR port. Who's buying this thing? Coffee shop hipsters? Business guys? No. It's going to be sedentary homebodies watching tv and surfing the web. Give these fat fingered americans what they want... OR at least give me what I want in a universal remote that allows me to hide all the ugly remotes i have and replace them with a colorful animated picture screensaver/frame when im not using it. this thing, i can't want. I have a laptop. I have an iphone (soon to be replaced by an HTC EVO 4G). I don't need another way to do the same crap I already do, OR LESS(no camera, no GPS). What I need is something that does more. This doesn't. This does almost nothing. It's pointless unless you're REALLY REALLY into reading e-books, which I'm not.
  • Reply 25 of 113
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

www.logitech.com.

There are also some higher end solutions, too, but they're mostly out of my budget.

I agree that the iPad could make a great remote. I just don't know how many people are going to want a 1.5 pound remote. Probably not enough to justify building it in - adding cost, weight, and battery consumption. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if someone offers an add-on gadget which connects to the docking port to control IR devices.

Why build the IR in to the iPad or connect it to the port. If some bright spark comes up with a bluetooth IR device and an app to do the controling you can put the bluetooth device wherever you need to to talk to the TV etc and just pair with it via bluetooth
  • Reply 26 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The key would be the language localisation's in the settings under general >international >language.

iPhone OS 3.1 has "English" only which appears to be American English, and a variety of other non-English languages.

The same kind of setting on the Mac has "British English", "Canadian English," etc. as well as French variants.

No one?

All you have to do is look in the settings and see if there is British English in the languages. It would help out all the foreigner's like me who want to use the thing to write with and don't speak American.
  • Reply 27 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

An iphone, AND a macbook, AND an iPad?!

It's like having a house with 3 or 4 bathroooms in it, as opposed to one or two.

You don't HAVE to have 3 or 4, but it is certainly, nice, and convenient. Even though it is a luxury.

That's what I will have. Had the iPad been out when I got my MacBook, I probably would have gotten a Mac mini instead.

As noted in the review, the iPad is not a standalone device. It needs to sync with a computer running iTunes. I hope that Apple will change this in the future by enabling cloud sync (MobileMe).

Another option would be upgrading the Apple TV software to include iTunes. It would then make an excellent companion to the iPad.

Best,

Daniel
  • Reply 28 of 113
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Great review. However, as evidenced by the replies so far, it won't change much. When the iPad was first announced little attention was paid to what Apple said it was going to be. Instead a large number of people decided in their own minds what THEY WANTED it to be. And what those people WANTED it to be was totally impossilbe from a technology standpoint. Those with little or no uinderstanding of how hardware and software are engineered, what limitations block certain features, how technology is marketed and sold, thought the kitchen sink could be easily added with NO engieering price to pay. In effect they thought and expected a fully functional Mac Pro with all the bells and whistles was a simple matter to produce in tablet form. We see full on what such expectations produced in the JooJoo, which is twice the weight with half the battery life. So it will also be with the Slate, the so-far vaporware Courier, and the rest of the iPad "killers" on the drawing boards. The techies will swoon but the mass market will take a pass on such beasts. They might not even be Netbook "killers" let alone iPad "killers".
  • Reply 29 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You can call me a convert. I've been saying in these forums for well over a month that I just don't get it. I didn't see how it could possibly mesh with my usage patterns (iPhone 3GS + MacBook Pro).

Well, I finally went to best buy today and played with one and I instantly "got it". The gorgeous screen, the large screen real estate, the fast operation. It's just great.

I might just cash in my credit card rewards early.

Dude

The iPad isn't for everyone - get over it - If you don't want one don't buy it- IDGAS

For me it fits perfectly in between my desktop and my non-smartphone

There are lots of families out there where the ipad adds a lot of value, one or mode desktops where everyone can synch - do intensive keyboard work etc and an Ipad or three for those family members that are just browsing and doing email
  • Reply 30 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t0mat0 View Post

A point that Gruber touched on - Because of the larger screen size, it seems that when loading websites on the 8 or so pages allowed - the iPad uses a lot more of the 256MB RAM, and that you're very likely to see a lot more page refreshes, even swapping between two pages, you could see refreshing each time, more so than on the iPhone.

A bit annoying by the sounds of it.

Obviously it would use more RAM and my RAM usage tests conform this. Even on start up the extra RAM needed is well over the 3GS.

My usage shows that Safari page refreshes happen often. I can have 8 pages open on the iPhone, while switching between 3rd-party apps and listening to the iPod without a single Safari page refresh, yet I've had it refresh with no more than 3 Safari pages open.

Some of this can be fixed in v3.2.x updates or with v4.0, as other tests show that the v4.0 uses 12MB less RAM than v3.1.3 on my 3GS. My biggest concern is that this issue out of the gate without multitasking and without the additional resources needed by the iPad 3G could make this even worse. With any luck the 3G iPad comes with 512MB RAM (wishful thinking).
  • Reply 31 of 113
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

It's targeted at couch potatoes and yet it doesn't have an Infrared port to control blue-ray, dvd, cable box, tv, surround sound

never fear, someone will do just as they did for the iphone and make a nice slim little case with the IR in it and an app an you will be good to go with your $500 remote

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I would expect a model purchased in the Uk for example to ship with that version of English.

I doubt they are doing versions for each country in hardware or software. The whole unlocked sim being a factor.

so question. in the International Settings is there an English UK option. if you select that and put in some old school spelling does it still come up incorrect. If you put 'American" spelling does it correct to UK etc
  • Reply 32 of 113
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

It's targeted at couch potatoes and yet it doesn't have an Infrared port to control blue-ray, dvd, cable box, tv, surround sound, or any of the existing pieces of hardware I have in my living room that apple currently can't replace. I don't want an Apple TV with their low definition "HD" video playback / streaming. I want an awesome universal remote which is what this thing should have been. Awesome being the key word. Having a floppy phono dongle dancing around you have to aim at the TV is NOT awesome. It's lame.

You can buy a dongle that plugs into the headphone jack and does everything you're asking for. Problem solved.
  • Reply 33 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggf View Post

Dude

The iPad isn't for everyone - get over it - If you don't want one don't buy it- IDGAS

For me it fits perfectly in between my desktop and my non-smartphone

There are lots of families out there where the ipad adds a lot of value, one or mode desktops where everyone can synch - do intensive keyboard work etc and an Ipad or three for those family members that are just browsing and doing email

Did you read his post or stop at the 2nd sentence?
  • Reply 34 of 113
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

That's what I will have. Had the iPad been out when I got my MacBook, I probably would have gotten a Mac mini instead.

As noted in the review, the iPad is not a standalone device. It needs to sync with a computer running iTunes. I hope that Apple will change this in the future by enabling cloud sync (MobileMe).

Another option would be upgrading the Apple TV software to include iTunes. It would then make an excellent companion to the iPad.

Best,

Daniel

The iPad does give you more to consider when looking at what computing devices you want in the house.

I remain wedded to the idea of having a desktop for doing focused work and I don't see that changing, and as a result my current Macbook is used for little more than web browsing and looking at photo's with.

Since the Macbook is pretty much on it's last legs, I think I'm going to go with an iPad instead of another laptop - it just seems more suited to what I do with my mobile platform, and it's cheaper!
  • Reply 35 of 113
    Quote:

Why build the IR in to the iPad or connect it to the port. If some bright spark comes up with a bluetooth IR device and an app to do the controling you can put the bluetooth device wherever you need to to talk to the TV etc and just pair with it via bluetooth

Maybe I should have patented this and waited five years so that I could sue the crap out of someone
  • Reply 36 of 113
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Am I crazy here? You're going to be lounging on the couch while you're using it. You're really going to want to lean over and grab some other remote when you have a giant touchscreen fully capable of doing the same tasks other than it's got no IR port. Who's buying this thing? Coffee shop hipsters? Business guys? No. It's going to be sedentary homebodies watching tv and surfing the web. Give these fat fingered americans what they want... OR at least give me what I want in a universal remote that allows me to hide all the ugly remotes i have and replace them with a colorful animated picture screensaver/frame when im not using it. this thing, i can't want. I have a laptop. I have an iphone (soon to be replaced by an HTC EVO 4G). I don't need another way to do the same crap I already do, OR LESS(no camera, no GPS). What I need is something that does more. This doesn't. This does almost nothing. It's pointless unless you're REALLY REALLY into reading e-books, which I'm not.

Anyone who wanted that could buy one of the readily available remote apps with an IR transmitter. I'd recommend one that comes with a transmitter that connects to the iPad via WiFi or bluetooth so that you don't have have to point the iPad at the TV.
  • Reply 37 of 113
    Quote:

This device exists already for the iPhone (WiFi, not BlueTooth). Forgot what it's called but it looked like a useful solution, far more than adding an IR port to your iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch.
  • Reply 38 of 113
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

A device already exists that plugs into the headphone jack and emits an IR signal.

It's currently sold for the iPhone. No doubt it works on the iPad.
  • Reply 39 of 113
    That was a great and very thorough review but shouldn't you have at least mentionned iBooks and the Kindle app and how the iPad works as an e-reader? I guess I can find that elsewhere...it just seems strange that an otherwise thorough and lengthy review would make no mention of this fairly significant component.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You can call me a convert. I've been saying in these forums for well over a month that I just don't get it. I didn't see how it could possibly mesh with my usage patterns (iPhone 3GS + MacBook Pro).

Well, I finally went to best buy today and played with one and I instantly "got it". The gorgeous screen, the large screen real estate, the fast operation. It's just great.

I might just cash in my credit card rewards early.

That's great news to hear! I'm waiting for the 3G version to arrive before I make my decision. However, based on input from former naysayers and the mainstream reviews, it's not a matter of "if" but "when".

I have yet to walk into an Apple store to check them out. I fear if I do that, I'll succumb to the pressure and walk out with one before I was ready.

Nice problem to have I guess.

Enjoy your iPad. I really think this is the first step of what modern computing will be.