Mobile Site issues.

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Please alter the mobile site so that the floating header and footer are static to the top and bottom of the mobile page, not to the display area as it removes what little reading space there is on a 3.5" display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I meant to say this for a long, long time, but I always put it off for some reason, this will gain more votes than please add anti glare to the imac macbook pro 13" polls, haha.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

... this will gain more votes than please add anti glare to the imac macbook pro 13" polls, haha.

This isn't a Bill so adding "pork" won't help.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I do about 85% of my AI browsing on the iPhone now, and I never use the mobile site.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    bslaghtbslaght Posts: 40member
    I like the mobile/iphone site. Works fine for me and in fact I would say it is one of best iphone versions of a web sites.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Yes, please get rid of the top and bottom bars. Have them come up when double-tapped, or something like that. They drive me nuts, and I actually go to Macworld or MacDailyNews instead just because of that.

Please change it.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    markm49ukmarkm49uk Posts: 97member
    the mobile iPhone version sucks - it infuriates me when scrolling a web page - I can't be bothered to click use full site every single time I browse to your site on my iPhone - can't you just use a cookie or something to remember my choice.

• Reply 7 of 31
    copprheadcopprhead Posts: 6member
    Thanks for starting this thread. The toolbars on the iphone site are really annoying!

Switching to the standard site is not really a solution, it's way too big (hundreds of kB) and its table layout slows everything down.

AI is great, and I keep coming back because of the content, even if it's annoying at times to deal with the presentation. BTW, why is the forum link at the top in two different places depending on where you are on the site?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    The overlay seems to have been built to let you switch pages quickly without scrolling all the way down a long article but since the iPhone lets you scroll quickly to the top, all of the controls could go there and be fixed. It could simply be the bar that's there already but with 6 or 7 buttons like the ai logo button and would be:

ai>ai full>headlines>iPhone blog>Mac blog>search> arrow to page 2 (links could be at the bottom too)

It could be just icons or shorten the words and the search box could just appear when you press the button.

The forum part could certainly use an iPhone specific style that gets rid of the left column and puts names above the posts. Also, since scrolling is an issue, a fixed div on the right that has links to anchors for each post so you can jump through each post in a page quickly and perhaps have the first 3 or 4 characters of the poster name so that you can see the conversation order. Like this:

Remove/hide signatures to keep the scrolling down, change all embedded images to links. The reply buttons would still be at the bottom of each post to reply to one post, I forgot to put them in. There would also be the text zoom buttons like on the iPhone news site to change the text font size inside the layout to save zooming and scrolling.

If you choose thread tools an printed mode, it's a better layout for the iPhone but has no coloring. The square buttons in the image would probably be better as vertical tabs and write the names using css rotation.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    alecthekingalectheking Posts: 206member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

the mobile iPhone version sucks - it infuriates me when scrolling a web page - I can't be bothered to click use full site every single time I browse to your site on my iPhone - can't you just use a cookie or something to remember my choice.

Set a bookmark in mobile safari to www.appleinsider.com/?aiSite=full and then everytime you want to go to AI just open the bookmark and it automatically loads the full site... Thats what I do, havent had to deal with that mess for a while now
  • Reply 10 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Please alter the mobile site so that the floating header and footer are static to the top and bottom of the mobile page, not to the display area as it removes what little reading space there is on a 3.5" display.

Wow solipsism, you're a busy bee on this site, with a 5 digit number of posts. And all your knowledgeable replies and insights; now even a poll.

Couldn't agree more on getting rid of the appearing and disappearing of the toolbars. And when I tap on comments to read, yeah, the comments, I get the full site. Don't exactly understand why AI has created the mobile site the way it is. Oh well, I'll just wait till I get home to read the full site on my Mac.

Thanks 4 setting up this poll! Hope AI will follow up on this.

Cheers,

Phil
  • Reply 11 of 31
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    I actually agree. Lol. But like the number 3, so there.

It doesn't really impede anyway as your eyes can only see so much.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Yes AI,

If you are really polling for user opinions; the header and footers are far too great an obstruction. And the way that they vanish and reappear every time you scroll (which is every two seconds, since there is only room for a couple lines of text) makes me physically nauseous.

A tap to bring them up; a tap to make them vanish. This is the way to go.

Love you.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Honestly - do you really need a poll to decide if the floating nav is utterly retarded? I would have started a poll about this long ago - but given the fact the current design of Appleinsider has been rotting for 7 or 8 years now without a refresh led me to believe management didn't care how the site looked anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    AI on the iPhone sucks even more when you're browsing on any number os RSS readers.

Please kill it with fire and never allow anyone to ever speak of it again.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    Agreed. I wont even use the mobile version of the site due to ridiculous header and footer. Please remove these distracting elements.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Totally agree to remove the banners along the top/bottom

Nothing pisses a person off more when you are taken to a so called "Streamlined" version of a website....

All mobile websites that I have encountered SuCk the big one
  • Reply 17 of 31
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    I fracking hate the floating header. My iPhone is small enough and it covers like 20% of the screen text!

Can't they make it appear or disappear with a long touch like in and app? If not, find a way!
  • Reply 18 of 31
    I figured most would agree with my position, but this amazing. 97%
  • Reply 19 of 31
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    i have to agree i have gone to other sites just to not have to deal with them stupid headers. or change it back to full site mode. worse idea since electing george bush
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Not one forum moderator has voted. They either like the floating header/footers or this poll is more controversial than I thought.