Apple sells 2 million iPads in under 2 months

Comments

• Reply 81 of 265
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

They cannot build them fast enough. Maybe they need to localize manufacturing and bring some of that back to the USA and Europe rather than overworking the Chinese.

My hope is that China will get some better labor laws with teeth to back them and minimum wage standards across the county. Cheap labor ain't cheap when it costs lives.

Because it is so easy to just create an assembly line instantly to increase demand. Even if they did move assembly to the states or europe, the parts are still coming from all over the world.

I see the primary problem being the number of hours that are being worked isn't healthy if they are doing it week after week. It isn't uncommon to see people working 60+ hour weeks here, but at least some of them are doing something they love. You need to remember that most of these workers are young people who are living in corporate dormitories. There are many people in that age group here that probably only have $130 a month left over after spending $2000 on their living expenses for the month. That pretty much puts us on par.
  • Reply 82 of 265
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not the iPhone OS per se. Jailbreaking shows that the functionality is often there. Apple just has to get over the idea that so many restrictions aren't helping them as much as they think they are.

If that's really true, then why is it that when multi-tasking is supported in the next OS release iPhone 3Gs don't get that feature? If the 3Gs *could* support it, why would Apple choose not to support it in the OS?

Their criteria aren't that it can't happen functionally, but that to make it happen would compromise what? It makes no sense to imply that it's because Apple is controlling, or are slow to adopt. There are criteria at play here that not everyone understands, and that is why my phone won't support multi-tasking in the next release.
  • Reply 83 of 265
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That's frustrating. It would be nice if Apple could give us a 3.5 update with folders, at least. I've already got over 9 pages of apps, and that's now 20 apps per page. I REALLY want to consolidate them.

On top of that, if Apple is going to keep the "iPhone OS" updates split between these two general categories then I wish they'd go ahead and change the name from iPhone OS to iPad OS Since jt's distinctively different in the UI and frameworks from their smaller devices.
  • Reply 84 of 265
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

If that's really true, then why is it that when multi-tasking is supported in the next OS release iPhone 3Gs don't get that feature? If the 3Gs *could* support it, why would Apple choose not to support it in the OS?

Their criteria aren't that it can't happen functionally, but that to make it happen would compromise what? It makes no sense to imply that it's because Apple is controlling, or are slow to adopt. There are criteria at play here that not everyone understands, and that is why my phone won't support multi-tasking in the next release.

The 3GS IS getting the feature. The 3G, with only 128MB RAM is not getting the feature.

If you want to get a logical argument set up, your original premise must be correct. In this case, it's not.
  • Reply 85 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On top of that, if Apple is going to keep the "iPhone OS" updates split between these two general categories then I wish they'd go ahead and change the name from iPhone OS to iPad OS Since jt's distinctively different in the UI and frameworks from their smaller devices.

I still like iOS, though I believe some small company already owns that name (not that that's ever stopped Apple before).

They could have iOS, iPhone/Touch Edition, and iPad Edition.
  • Reply 86 of 265
    edit: Pipped by Melgross.
  • Reply 87 of 265
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This sucks. I liked it better when it was just me.

Yep! The trolls liked it better too.
  • Reply 88 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iPad looks pretty cool. I just wish I could figure out why I need one. I'm ok with the limitations of my iPhone because I need a phone and the extra features are really handy, but I already have an iMac, a MBP and a Mac Pro. iPad seems too limited to fit my computing needs. If I could do actual IT or web site maintenance then it might be useful on the road, but if it is just for couch surfing or reading in bed, I don't need it.

LogMeIn is available for IT/web site maintenance. It works great. There are a few html editors for making simple changes too.

There are really two reasons you want an iPad (right now) in my opinion. Either you love casual games or you spend a lot of time reading. It is great at all forms of reading: web, ebooks, email. It is well worth the price for those features. It isn't fun to spend a lot of time reading pdf files or email in front of a laptop. The comfort level is much higher.

As a bonus: If your read technical ebooks (O'Reilly, Pragmatic Programmer, Manning) you will save a lot of money because they charge half price (or less) for Ebooks and they are frequently on sale for a third or a quarter of the price. Searching and highlighting (using the bookmarks feature) is really well done in iBooks app. The Papers app works pretty good for pdf reading (although I wish I could highlight like in iBooks).
  • Reply 89 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

My hope is that China will get some better labor laws with teeth to back them and minimum wage standards across the county. Cheap labor ain't cheap when it costs lives.

There's a better solution - have congress write a law that says that the manufacturing of goods sold in America must support *at least* that which America does in terms of labour laws.
  • Reply 90 of 265
    Quote:

I still like iOS, though I believe some small company already owns that name (not that that's ever stopped Apple before).

That's fine, too. Anything but the erronous nomenclature that apparently leads some to think it's the same OS on a bigger screen despite the glaring proof to the contrary, and which I am sure will be used to say how iPhone OS is fragmenting and it to is no longer getting updates at the same time, like Android phones.
  • Reply 90 of 265
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

TouchOS.
  • Reply 92 of 265
    Quote:

edit: Pipped by Melgross.

He he!
  • Reply 93 of 265
    Quote:

The 3GS IS getting the feature. The 3G, with only 128MB RAM is not getting the feature.

If you want to get a logical argument set up, your original premise must be correct. In this case, it's not.

You misunderstood my grammar. '3G' - the plural of '3G' is '3Gs'. I didn't say 3GS (with capital 'S') and didn't mean 3GS, the model. Funny grammar rules in our language make it unclear sometimes, but my grammar was correct and my logic was perfect.
  • Reply 94 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

TouchOS.

Technically the OS is named Darwin and the kernel is named xnu. You could just refer to the devices by the UIKit framework they are using, because that is the common difference between them and the desktop. UIKit devices instead of iPhone/iPod/iPad.
  • Reply 95 of 265
    Quote:

That's fine, too. Anything but the erronous nomenclature that apparently leads

Some to think it's the same OS with a bigger screen despite the glaring proof to the contrary And which I am sure will be used to say how iPhone OS is fragmenting and it to is no longer getting updates at the same time, like Android phones.

I think that moving to a tablet will require all companies to modify their respective OS's. As I've now got a bunch of Universal apps, I'm not too worried about it. It should be pretty obvious to most people that a tablet is going to require, and have, more features than the phone version.

I'm seeing Android being criticized for being exactly the same OS for tablets as for phones. If Google keeps it that way, and so far, developers are saying that Google isn't responding to their queries about this, then they will be at a disadvantage.

Of course, Google is pushing the not quite ready Chrome web browser OS as the one to go to for tablets. But I really doubt that a web based OS is ready to compete yet.

With WebOS, now from Hp, we see the same problem. They will have to modify it for tablets.

Microsoft is even in worse shape. No matter how they change the GUI, Win Phone 7 is still CE, and all that lacks as a full OS. They've nothing that could work for tablets, as Win 7 will not work, no matter how many companies put a touch GUI on top of the supplied one.

MeeGo is still too new to have any reasonable idea as to how viable it will be. The two companies behind it, Intel and Nokia aren't exactly hotbeds of innovation and consumer arousal.

The last, Linux, will fail at this, as it has at every other consumer initiative. It was thought that netbooks were the Linux desktop revolution, but as usual, they were wrong. They will be wrong here as well.

While it's true that many of the above OS's are Linux based at heart (jeez, it's only a kernel, not an OS!), they don't look or act any more like Linux, than OS X looks or acts like the full fledged UNIX OS it is.
  • Reply 96 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

TouchOS.

Assuming that they could get the name, that would work too.
  • Reply 97 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

You misunderstood my grammar. '3G' - the plural of '3G' is '3Gs'. I didn't say 3GS (with capital 'S') and didn't mean 3GS, the model. Funny grammar rules in our language make it unclear sometimes, but my grammar was correct and my logic was perfect.

You have to be clearer when you write. Many people forget to capitalize the final s. It reads as 3GS.

Even so, you're still wrong. As I pointed out, the 3G has only 128MB RAM, not enough for multitasking. The 3GS has 256MB, as does the iPad. Enough to squeak by.
  • Reply 98 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Technically the OS is named Darwin and the kernel is named xnu. You could just refer to the devices by the UIKit framework they are using, because that is the common difference between them and the desktop. UIKit devices instead of iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Apple's kernel is MACH.

http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/darwin-kernel
  • Reply 99 of 265
    Quote:

That's fine, too. Anything but the erronous nomenclature that apparently leads some to think it's the same OS on a bigger screen despite the glaring proof to the contrary, and which I am sure will be used to say how iPhone OS is fragmenting and it to is no longer getting updates at the same time, like Android phones.

This is entirely different. The iPad and iPhone are different devices. They will always be updated to new operating systems, but they have framework differences that are on different release schedules. To fragment like the android operating system, there would need to be different iPads that are not compatible with each other even if they are capable of running the same program from a hardware perspective. The problem with Android is that the operating system that comes with your phone will likely never be updated because the company making the phone has no budget to roll out updates to newer versions of android. Over time your phone will run less and less new software or the majority of software will target the lowest common denominator (the IE6 syndrome). It may be possible for google to come out with a way to prevent this situation, but currently it is a major problem with the android platform.
  • Reply 100 of 265
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

But if you had no mobile device at all... Of course, being in school, you might want the added ports for added functionality of a 13", 15", or 17" laptop, but if you were done with school and had no mobile device and already had a desktop and just wanted to go mobile with a device with a slightly bigger screen then todays smartphone, which way would you go? MacBook/MBP or iPad? Or which way anyone would go for that matter?... \

iPhone vs iPad

As to why have an iPad if you slready have an iPhone, that is easy if one does a lot of internet reading (newspapers, magazines, websites) as well as bookreading. The smaller screen of the iPhone or iPod Touch is not meant for the aforementioned activities. Almost all the aforementioned have to be reconfigured to fit the small screen. Otherwise, you have to do a lot of scroling both horizontally and vertically. These repeated motions get tiresome after awhile. Aesthetically, the layout formats possible with the small screen are also limited.

The larger screen of the iPad is specially for people with increasing visual impairment, but not blind. This is true for most people who are getting older.

There is also the sense of satisfaction in "bigger is better". That is why big screen TVs are more satisfactory, and why people still go to cinemas. Have you ever seen spectacles like Star wars or other classics "Ten Commandments", KingKong, etc.. shown in "three storey" high screens? The experience cannot be match by even the largest home screen.

Of course when you watch these in your bed or somewhere else other than the aforemetioned settings, surely watching them in the much larger screen is much more satisfactory than the puny iPhone screen.

Notebook vs iPad

Both may be portable but a 4.5-6 pounds notebook becomes a ton of lead with all the other stuff to carry around when you travel of commute and do a lot of walking around. Then there is the question: Do you really need to bring everything that is in your nootebook with you? If your have to bring your office and your work whereever you go, then the notebook might be a no-contest choice. Otherwise, to many people, including most sales and othther on-the-go professionals, the iPad would be more convenient.

Then there is also the question of security, in case a notebook misplaced or stolen-- with all your lifetime creations, passwords, and other "secrets". Sure, you might have backups, but the securiity issues remain.

Portability

Perhaps in a few years, when SSDs are cheap enough, and the CPUs are advanced enough, and some other needed technologies, it may be possible to a single unit form factor, like the iPad, but have an OS X and not the iPhone OS, and use touch screen keyboard and finger navigation.

Note that the two single unit mobile devices are not mean to replace each other, even if there is great overlap in functions. There would be cannibalization of each other's market.

What is sure is that they would be both very portable. However, there will serve different audience.

If you look at the design "clam shell" of the notebooks, the design is really only needed because of the physical keyboard separate from the screen. As we discussed in any number of threads, the physical keyboard renders the existing notebook difficult to use in other countries. Such there are ways to go around the problem but those work-arounds are not the best solutions.

The iPhone OS devices provided a more compact and more portable "single unit: form. As important, the touch screen keyboard -- with instant conversion of the alphabets and numbers and symbols pertinent to any language -- made iPhone OS devices and similar gadgets more functional to the rest of th world.

There are more of course, but you get the idea, I hope.

A key lesson here: One must not judge a device, like the iPad, mainly on the basis of what we can do, or how it may serve our own purpose. There are more than six billion other peoples of the world. So far, Apple has sold only two million of them.

The other lesson here: As spectacular or useful the iPad might be, there is room for other devices -- considering the six billion target audience. Among them are those are people who wnat the same thing but would rather die owning anything made by Apple. So yeah, Android/Chrome tablets, HP-Palms tablets, even Windows Mobile tablets will find their own markets.

CGC